Thread: MLA questions/comments

MLA questions/comments

Last year I sent numerous letters and emails, with getting a few responses. This year I will be actually setting up time to go in and actually talk to my MLA.

I have never done this and I am assuming that you should stick to a few good points so they have a better time to remember what you came in for.

With all this talk on the forum about our declining wildlife, what few points would you bring up. Just thought of a few that first came to mind.

1. Dedicate all hunting license fees and taxes directly back to conservation ( I know this is apparently getting talked about more in the stakeholder engagement with Chris Hamilton, but I think it doesn’t hurt to keep pushing this)

2. Keep wildlife decisions based on science, and keep decisions out of politics ( sounds kinda funny how I’m asking a politician that)

3. Re clarify “deactivation” in the forest practice code of British Columbia, to mean full on deactivation. Present this discussion with google earth pics and some easy statistics and studies to show the damage it does , and push more for better forestry practices (like the other thread that is going on at the moment on this, I Beleive this is a big issue)

4. ?
    5.?

I have lots more issues I could chat about but I would want to keep it small and focus on just a few.

Please help me me out with suggestions with mabey some better “concerns” and or just some experience talking to an MLA and anything I should do to make the best of my time.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Pemby_mess Guest

Re: MLA questions/comments

Think about things in such away that you can appeal to "their self-interest". Likely, in doing so, you'll have to think about the issues in a broader sense than their interest to "just hunters", or "just outdoors people". Think of things at an industry level; how you see them as being important to both economic and social development. Why they are important beyond just how you may feel.

Thanks for putting the time into to think about putting words into action, on all our behalfs.

If you are trying to make a stand or point about a particular issue, make sure you have the info or data to back up your point.
    Then leave a copy of the info with the member so they have it in hand instead of having to go and find basis for your issue.
    Whether they pursue it further or not, at least the first step is done.
    Hopefully this way a file is started, and can be revisited in future visits.

If you have a group of friends supporting your cause, drop a few names and info, then when they call in, the same file gets reviewed again ........and again
    Last edited by boxhitch; 03-08-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I work in government relations so have a bit of experience working with politicians and bureaucrats. Here are my tips:

1. Understand the "win" for them: They are entirely self-motivated and they need to see a clear picture of how this will benefit THEIR position
    2. Articulate a very simple message: They should walk away able to explain this issue, and why its important, to anyone in 30 seconds or less
    3. Leave them something: a one page summary of the top three messages with references so they can pass this on to policy makers and ideally, the Minister
    4. Ask for a specific outcome: they will always ask "what can I do for you?". You need to have a very clear and simple ask of your MLA
    5. Follow up: did they do what they promised? Did you remind them of why its important to them and their voters? Will they meet you again to discuss next steps?

In addition, many times they will include a staff member or strategist in these meetings, so this will be a great follow up contact for you. Remember, this persons biggest goal will be to impress the MLA and to try and make the MLA look good, so keep this in mind with your key messages, your ask, and the "win" for them
    Last edited by ajr5406; 03-14-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    I work in government relations so have a bit of experience working with politicians and bureaucrats. Here are my tips:

1. Understand the "win" for them: They are entirely self-motivated and they need to see a clear picture of how this will benefit THEIR position
    2. Articulate a very simple message: They should walk away able to explain this issue, and why its important, to anyone in 30 seconds or less
    3. Leave them something: a one page summary of the top three messages with references so they can pass this on to policy makers and ideally, the Minister
    4. Ask for a specific outcome: they will always ask "what can I do for you?". You need to have a very clear and simple ask of your MLA
    5. Follow up: did they do what they promised? Did you remind them of why its important to them and their voters? Will they meet you again to discuss next steps?

In addition, many times they will include a staff member or strategist in these meetings, so this will be a great follow up contact for you. Remember, this persons biggest goal will be to impress the MLA and to try and make the MLA look good, so keep this in mind with your key messages, your ask, and the "win" for them

^^^This is all important

One bit of advice pick one issue you view as the most important and focus on that. I fully understand their is many important issues involving hunting and wildlife but odds are to your MLA the subject is not high priority. So if you bombard them with too much information on multiple subjects they are likely to leave the meeting with only minimal information on multiple subjects. Clear direction presented in a memorable fashion is more likely cause them to consider what you are suggesting without sounding needy

It’s always a good idea to show how others will benefit from your suggestions not just the hunting community. Reality of it is politics is all about good PR. Be prepared to have answers to any negative impacts your suggestion may have. It’s all about how your idea will make them look good in the public eye

Whatever issues you choose educate yourself beforehand

Good advice so far. I think it's also really important to assume that the vast majority of MLAs will not know ANYTHING about the North America Model of Wildlife Management, nor will they even have much of an idea of what species inhabit BC. Communicate assuming they know next to nothing about whatever subject you present.

Also keep in mind that pre-election, MLAs will seem really interested in what you are saying, although they are likely not. What MLAs tell you they will do, and what they actually do, often have no relation to each other. Follow-up is important.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever