Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wounded animals ?

Re: Wounded animals ?

Wish l lived a little closer, it's an activity l would enjoy learning.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

The Department of Land and Agriculture in Abbottsford will do it for you.....free!
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Good info Mike. Blood trailing is one of the reasons i got these dogs. As a bow hunter I believe the chances of an animal going a fair distance before it dies or just being wounded are higher than for a rifle hunter. But that said a study in the States a while back said that 17% of animals shot with a bow were lost. the same study said that 17% of animals shot with a rifle were lost as well. I lost a deer once. Still bugs me and that was back in 1968.

=keith=

3killslookin4more - I hope I can help.

416 - Where are you? Get that book if you're interested it is a really good source of information and it is soooo much fun to see a dogs nose at work.

Thunderstix - How do you send it? And do you send diaphragm mussel, heart or cheek pieces. (By the way. Love Prince Rupert)!

Hi Keith - dogs at work always blow my mind. This Fall we hunted the gang ranch for deer and the cowboy came by to look for some stray cows. He had two dogs with him and it was a joy to see them at work.

As to the ratio of wounded animals from bowhunting to rifle my experience has been that a bit more is wounded by rifle. Particularly moose that get shot at with fast bullets when they are not standing in the clear. I did a search where two guys shot seven times at a standing bull at 60 yards and did not wound him enough to kill him. He was standing in willows without leaves. We broke up the search after 6 kilometres of swamps, hills with windfalls and falling in to creeks.
    Yes it's fun!

Mooseman

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

Before my old blue tick/B&T passed on I used him for blood trailing lost animals. Fortunately he wasn't used a lot,but he was instrumental in finding 2 deer and a wolf. I kept him on a lead and off he'd go, snorkling away. Sure bellowed when it was found.

Good luck with the project Mooseman!

RC

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

I love Rupert as well. Been here 24 years. You cut the whole tongue out from the very back of the throat, freeze it, pack it with an ice pack, and then send it express, then call them and tell them to watch for it. I also put a note on the outside of the package so that no one left it sitting somewhere over the weekend.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Thumbs up Re: Wounded animals ?

Mooseman

I second 3kills post, great info and many thanx for passing it on.

How did you guys make out this season? Did anyone train a dog or was thinking about getting one for tracking?

We had some very nice work done by our dogs this year and the highlight was a gut shot moose that we got 7 hours later.

i hunt chetwynd every year with some buds and every year im there someone aroud the area wounds an elk or moose. it happened to us once and we were wishing we knew someone with a tracking dog. we would of gladly paid a couple hundred bucks to find the wounded elk. should the situation happen again would you travel to chetwynd if we covered your costs?

Well of cause Mark. As stated before in this thread I would be happy to help out. The dogs get better with every real search and with training but nothing beats the real thing.

As for cost. If you would be willing to offset the cost for fuel that would be fantstic. Nothing more.
    What time of year are you up there? This might be the only hang up since I am busy until October 20th or so.

BC should have a network of hunters with tracking dogs that everyone can call on.