Thread: To tree stand or not to tree stand

To tree stand or not to tree stand

Hey all, looking for some Input as to weither a tree stand is going to offer the competitive edge I'm looking for. I hunt on VI looking for black tails in steep timber. After spending most of last season with a bow in hand feeling like I'm scaring animals away I'm thinking a tree stand might be a good addition. However I know convention says black tails can't be patterned and they're not the most salt block hungry creatures I'm thinking it still might be a worthwhile pursuit. Give me your 2cents id love to hear it. Any tree stand hunters on the island can share some success stories I'd love to hear it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: To tree stand or not to tree stand

I've shot my best two island blacktail with my bow from a tree stand. If you hunt Woodlots around or near agriculture, they can be patterned.

I like to put up my stands where I observed rutting activity the previous year. I usually do ok. That said, I'm not hunting way up on the old timber. I prefer to still hunt my old timber spot just because it's a hump to get into.

I've got an old gorilla stand that are surplus to my needs you can have if you want. I'm in Duncan
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-07-2019 at 10:56 AM.

I have not hunted bt on the island but have taken my fair share on the mainland. I targeted lowland bt because they can be patterned really well. I have not used salt or bait but instead focusing on pinch point in thick bush. I actually found a tree stand valuable because you could get shooting lanes in thick bush that you could not hunt from the ground. It also gives you the ability to hunt small pockets most won’t because it would be a 15 min still hunt and then they have to head to the truck and drive an hour plus to find another place to hunt for the day

I think many hunters have the idea of patterning deer and hunting them with a tree stand means seeing deer every day well often it’s not. It’s more so finding locations you know deer pass through a reasonable amount and having faith if you put in the time a deer will come through likely calmly and in a position for a shot. Yes at times you find locations that you see deer all the time but those spots are often found by a ton of scouting and seasons hunting a location. Tree stand hunting is about hunting low pressure and maximizing the chance of a shot opportunity not numbers.

Simply put tree stands are 100% worth it if you can pick a good spot for it and have the determination to sit in it having faith in that small chunk of the bush. If you are someone who can’t dedicate putting in the time in the seat and will be tempted to get out and still hunt the location don’t bother.

I never truly figured out mountain BT but did not focus on them hard So result may be different. Hunting steep areas can be a pain picking tree stand location where deer can’t be staring at you from eye level

Woah thanks for your replies guys I really appreciate it. The treestand offer is unreal nice but honestly I can afford to splurge on a stand and would rather see someone in need get it. But thanks so much Ron for the offer. Crazy generous of you. I have scouted lots of public timber that bridge on farm land and honestly was thinking of spending my bow season and some rifle season at these spots and your response makes me feel even more excited to do so. I think I might try and spend my season spent half low lands tree stand with my bow and half sweating my bawls off looking for them steep timber ghosts. Thanks again for your replies and I welcome hearing more 2cents.

Pop up ground blinds work great and keep you out of the rain too. I had does close enough I could have spit on them last season. I like stand or blind hunting in agricultural areas or if you can find a major trail into the back of a well used slash. Say an area with lots of does where know rutting bucks will show up at some point. Set up inside the forest where multiple feeder trails converge into a main trail leading to the slash. Hunt it only when you have the right wind. The key is scouting beforehand (cameras help) do you have faith there are enough animals around to be patient and put in the time. I’d have a hard time stand hunting way up on the timber, I still prefer to hunt that on foot with a rifle.

Alright sounds like you guys think along the same lines as me. I appreciate it alot. This years niche hunting includes ebikes and saddle hunting. Cheers yall