Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New rule regarding buying and selling.

Re: New rule regarding buying and selling.

Is this site still active I have been away for a while and it seems a lot of posts are very old?

I think you would notice it pretty active if you looked at the real forums not just a dead news thread.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

The new rules seem perfectly reasonable given there is no i-trader or similar setup on here. I was one of the people that dealt with the travis guy, and luckily felt something was amiss and avoided being ripped off by using my own common sense, and the efforts of the folks on here.
    I would suggest anyone buying or selling to use multiple lines of communication with a person. So messaging on here, a phone call and or emailing and texting them. One of the tools I use, is that many people advertising on here, myself included, also advertise and browse on CGN, which uses I trader ratings. Easy enough to ask the person if they are on there and have a look at their rating.
    If they work at a business, check out the business on the web and see if they have a bio on there for their staff. Just investigate in any way you can, and if you feel somethings up, pass on the deal. Doesn't guarantee you won't get ripped off, but doing all that you can certainly cuts the risk.
    I will relate a recent transaction I had with a gentleman on here who frankly gave off some signs of something being up. Wanted to mail me a cheque for payment, didn't have an email address, didn't text. But he was open to a phone call. So after a lengthy chat on the phone, I found out not only was this an older guy who simply wasn't interested in the complication of modern technology, but found out we had friends and interests in common and he had recently dealt with the owner of the business I work for at a sports show.
    So as he was in no hurry, he mailed me a cheque, I cashed it at my bank and mailed him the item, a smooth transaction by any standards, if a bit out of time
    I let him know that I wouldn't be sending anything his way till the cheque cleared, and he was fine with that, and I really don't think either of us had any concern after talking for an hour on the phone.
    Buying is of course more of a risk and frankly if anything was out of place I'd pass, and if its too good of a deal to pass up on, maybe there's your first clue.

My suggestion is an escrow service. They hold the money. Being as honest as I am, Olympic volunteer, PAL, Blood donor, Employed same company 34 years. Send me the money and I will hold it till everyone is happy and then I will go spend it in Mexico.

So is the requirement to have a face to face deal still a "must do"? I live up north and getting together with someone to buy face to face may take a long time as I avoid the lower-mainland like the plague. Waiting three months is fine, but then I think a guy should be able to avail themselves of the buy and sell, otherwise it kind of makes the whole buy and sell area worthless to anyone who does not live in or near a big city.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    So is the requirement to have a face to face deal still a "must do"? I live up north and getting together with someone to buy face to face may take a long time as I avoid the lower-mainland like the plague. Waiting three months is fine, but then I think a guy should be able to avail themselves of the buy and sell, otherwise it kind of makes the whole buy and sell area worthless to anyone who does not live in or near a big city.
    If you believe during any correspondence that you trust the seller by all means do the deal. The rule is intended to dissuade NEW members from showing up only to sell items. In some cases of late, rip people off. At the end of the day as always its "buyer beware!"
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Newb here but not to other sites. Pretty tough to do an in person buy even without the Covid travel restrictions. I do not live in BC. I already have positive feedback on CGN and Alberta Outdoorsmen for several buys sells and trades. Also good rep at Switzers Auctions. I pay promptly by EMT or credit card so seller already has payment. Of multiple transactions over a couple decades only two have actually been in person. That’s the benefit of the internet. I registered with HuntingBC because I became aware of an item that fits into my collecting but that will be long gone during a 3 month wait and the cost to travel a couple thousand kms simply makes a buy cost-ineffective. Thanks for reading this. Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jcronk View Post
    Newb here but not to other sites. Pretty tough to do an in person buy even without the Covid travel restrictions. I do not live in BC. I already have positive feedback on CGN and Alberta Outdoorsmen for several buys sells and trades. Also good rep at Switzers Auctions. I pay promptly by EMT or credit card so seller already has payment. Of multiple transactions over a couple decades only two have actually been in person. That’s the benefit of the internet. I registered with HuntingBC because I became aware of an item that fits into my collecting but that will be long gone during a 3 month wait and the cost to travel a couple thousand kms simply makes a buy cost-ineffective. Thanks for reading this. Jack
    If I were you I'd and your buying, send the PM to the seller and go from there. We can't stop people buying. The intent of the rule was stop people selling items and ripping members off.
    Last edited by Steeleco; 01-31-2021 at 08:10 AM.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    My suggestion is an escrow service. They hold the money. Being as honest as I am, Olympic volunteer, PAL, Blood donor, Employed same company 34 years. Send me the money and I will hold it till everyone is happy and then I will go spend it in Mexico.
    I like your honesty. Shut up and take my money!

Maybe refer to Alberta outdoorsman rules on buy sell for new members. Good policy. Makes other members have a chance to get to know other members so to speak.