Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk about Road Acces

Re: Lets Talk about Road Acces

Sadly you are making this all about you. It’s way bigger than that. Please take a moment to really look hard and read the many reports and presentations being offered on the topic. As hunters we have to wake up to the fact BC is changing faster than anyone could possibly imagine. There isn’t a snowball’s chance in hell there will be this sudden change in the way BC resources are managed. I assure you, as most do on this thread there will be plenty of access for all. Changes will take years and decades. Not one person on this thread has mentioned we should make up 5,000 signs and start closing roads. That would accomplish very little. Open your mind to the matter please and you will realize this. I’m not a rich man. If I want a hunting adventure away from it all I need to work extra, save extra then build the brownie points with wife. Then yes I can enjoy a trip to a remote location. But for local hunting around home I’m in the same boat as everyone else. And I really don’t like what I see from there. The images provided on this thread pretty much sum it up. Why on earth are you fighting for access to areas we didn’t have access to in the first place?

Above reply to island idiots page one.

i'd like to see more undeveloped forests protected from any road development, as well as more road deactivation once industry has worked in an area.

Quote Originally Posted by slowjo View Post
    i'd like to see more undeveloped forests protected from any road development, as well as more road deactivation once industry has worked in an area.
    Where are these undeveloped forests?
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Where are these undeveloped forests?
    they're at the end of the logging roads

If we stand by endless habitat loss and infinite road building to ensure our access then I firmly believe we’re on the wrong side of the fence. The best interest of our F&W should come first and foremost then I promise you we will see the benifits through our binoculars and fishing rods for years to come.
    I'm gonna say it again.....that endless habitat loss and infinite road building equates to JOBS. As I said earlier, its a shitty choice to have to make....but it is the reality. There are tens of thousands of British Columbians who make their living off resource extraction. For the folks who don't work in industry, or maybe are retired, its much easier to want to put habitat first. I have been through a permanent mill closure...i was one of the lucky ones...as a tradesman, i had options....many, many others were not so lucky and were economically devastated.

Would I love to see a "best case scenario" where habitat is priority, and everyone still has their job....sure, of course I would.....but thats not realistic.

I'll say it again...its a shitty choice to have to make.... but for all on this thread, ask yourself....would YOU give up YOUR job in the name of habitat conservation?? Thats really what it comes down to

JMO
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Gotta be a balance between jobs and habitat. There must be more efficient and less damaging ways to log...

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    A road density cap I agree would be a positive but old roads need to be more then deactivated but instead obliterated so atv and lifted trucks can’t use them. The present methods do nothing to slow even a guy with a chainsaw and a lifted truck. Even plant a little poplar( not that poplar needs help) in the old roads to add some mixed timber and it grows like a weed. The road density in some areas is insane but so is the sea of chocked together young pine

Kept within reason it would be a positive for wildlife and little impact on hunters. Reaching an agreement with the logging industry is one hurdle but that is likely only going to accomplish results on new spurs. Do to the density in some areas dealing with present spurs is an issue

This is still just a piece of the puzzle and even though it is important in some areas it is not an answer to all of BCs issues. There is many areas in decline that road density is not an issue
    I think the poplar is a very good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    Thanks Willyqbc. You make complete sense. and thankfully those zealots who would keep me and my ORV out of the woods will not get their wish. Changes need to be made to somehow control road density and improve habitat. It would be great if the province set a side enough money to hire students to do habitat restoration using these very roads, and then if removing the roads is not doable, implement complete closures to everyone so wildlife can recover.
    This would not have to be everywhere, but used to rehabilitate area by area so as to still provide ample opportunity for all to access the back country. Once the area has recovered it can be opened again.

For those that think a road in an area removes its status as wilderness there are plenty of preserves and Parks to hike in.
    Access roads aren't going anywhere they just need to be controlled.
    In many regions that aren't particularly steep like much of reg 8 and 3, there definitely needs to be more roads deactivated....not all, but more....anybody who thinks differently is truly ignorant of the situation...

After witnessing 2 devastating fire seasons in the cariboo, I'm glad that industry hasn't started to deactivate roads