Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk about Road Acces

Re: Lets Talk about Road Acces

Now just a thought but taking a stand on a very important issue such as this will allow us as hunters to form bonds and friendships with many Other individuals, organizations, associations and special interest groups in BC. These alliances are extremely important to the future of hunting as this issue goes way beyond us. Examples (all First Nations, other forward thinking conservation groups, all the watershed organizations plus many more) its not just about us. We should also see our “hunter image” dramatically improve as a result, and let’s face it folks....we could sure use a boost in that category as well. Something to think about anyways.

Here is a good visual of the kammy/cache creek/scotty cr/Bonaparte area in 1984 (2nd pic will be a recent pic from google)

This pic is a more recent, and fyi, still not a fully current one, but you can see what has "really changed"

Crazy images. Really a good visual wake up call for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    Crazy images. Really a good visual wake up call for all of us.
    yup, and the last image is 3 years old! plus there was a fire that burnt up much of what still looks treed in that image.
    To boot, they are scheduled to log much of the last stuff near highways now which was winter range when snow got
    too high on the main plateau!
    So yes, more roads!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Talking with other members either here or privately, I find there are some differing of opinions.
    I find some views a bit alarming.

We all know there is "too much easy access" littered all over the place.
    Example would be the Kammy area etc.

It seems some hunters feel "Road Closures" should be put in place.
    That's scare me because I have seen that road closures don't work.
    Yes, it stops the legal hunter.
    But it does not stop any other "Outdoor Users"!
    It does not stop hiker and mtn bikers or ORV users , back packers and snowmobilers.
    And if the Restriction was extended to them, I guarantee you that the Ministry of Tourism would get some "blow back" to not let that happen!

Also, by asking for road closure restrictions, it again give the government an "Easy Out"!
    All it takes is a couple of printed words in the Regs and a few signs hung up.

Also, we have seen, and there is a lot of proof, these restrictions "Do Not Apply to FN".
    And we have seen enough to see that they take advantage of their traditional ways.

In other words, all road restrictions due is "kick Resident Hunters" out of the areas.
    No one Else!!

Solution is to really go after the government to have "Roads Torn Up"!!
    This stops everyone from gaining access!
    This gives the game the "break" they need from pressure from all users of the back country.
    It limits what poachers and FN can due to access these areas.

I wish everyone would start to think this way.
    Drop the road restriction signs requests and fight to have roads just "ripped up"!
    Otherwise we are just giving the government an "easy out" and they don't have to go to the
    logging industry to tell them they have to waste some of their profits on road destruction!

Honestly, if this meant lumber would cost me a bit more, to save our habitat from such easy access,
    I would be willing to pay for that.

We have to limit everyone to get in the back country.
    Not just hunters, or we will be sadly disappointed by the results.
    I have seen how dismal a 40 plus year road restriction for the use of hunting has resulted in
    "0" gain by having that implemented!

There are other factors that have caused the dismal return of game.
    Some of it again is over logging (imo) and preds.
    What form of poaching is going on, I cant say.
    But the opportunity is there, because the roads are there!
    Get rid of the roads, and we limit "everyone"!!

Have at it.
    I agree that more, not all, but more, FSR's have to be deactivated..,it should lead to better hunting in the future...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I agree that more, not all, but more, FSR's have to be deactivated..,it should lead to better hunting in the future...
    Correct. It will take years of red tape, bureaucracy, negotiations and re - writing a poorly made forest practices code. A fast action approach could be implemented to recognize critical zones throughout B.C. where rehabilitation and thorough deactivation will create positive results to our F&W. This matter will not be taken lightly by all resource companies as what we are wanting to ask of them is completely opposite of what they’ve been allowed to get away with for decades. I read a post here saying pressure to our political leaders and representatives is needed. Yes. They will need pressure from all angles on this one until they realize votes are at stake plus their juicy pay checks and retirement packages. Then they will come forward telling all of BC about “their” great idea to clean up our current resource management program. Haha

Here is a good visual of the kammy/cache creek/scotty cr/Bonaparte area in 1984 (2nd pic will be a recent pic from google)

This pic is a more recent, and fyi, still not a fully current one, but you can see what has "really changed"

Wow that's crazy. I am quite familiar with the area and that puts it into perspective.

It does need to be mentioned that the pine beetle has payed a role in this mess in certain areas and aggressive harvesting has been the reaction to this little *******. However this being an access thread, all the roads remain.

^^^I agree.....

Talking with other members either here or privately, I find there are some differing of opinions.
    I find some views a bit alarming.

We all know there is "too much easy access" littered all over the place.
    Example would be the Kammy area etc.

It seems some hunters feel "Road Closures" should be put in place.
    That's scare me because I have seen that road closures don't work.
    Yes, it stops the legal hunter.
    But it does not stop any other "Outdoor Users"!
    It does not stop hiker and mtn bikers or ORV users , back packers and snowmobilers.
    And if the Restriction was extended to them, I guarantee you that the Ministry of Tourism would get some "blow back" to not let that happen!

Also, by asking for road closure restrictions, it again give the government an "Easy Out"!
    All it takes is a couple of printed words in the Regs and a few signs hung up.

Also, we have seen, and there is a lot of proof, these restrictions "Do Not Apply to FN".
    And we have seen enough to see that they take advantage of their traditional ways.

In other words, all road restrictions due is "kick Resident Hunters" out of the areas.
    No one Else!!

Solution is to really go after the government to have "Roads Torn Up"!!
    This stops everyone from gaining access!
    This gives the game the "break" they need from pressure from all users of the back country.
    It limits what poachers and FN can due to access these areas.

I wish everyone would start to think this way.
    Drop the road restriction signs requests and fight to have roads just "ripped up"!
    Otherwise we are just giving the government an "easy out" and they don't have to go to the
    logging industry to tell them they have to waste some of their profits on road destruction!

Honestly, if this meant lumber would cost me a bit more, to save our habitat from such easy access,
    I would be willing to pay for that.

We have to limit everyone to get in the back country.
    Not just hunters, or we will be sadly disappointed by the results.
    I have seen how dismal a 40 plus year road restriction for the use of hunting has resulted in
    "0" gain by having that implemented!

There are other factors that have caused the dismal return of game.
    Some of it again is over logging (imo) and preds.
    What form of poaching is going on, I cant say.
    But the opportunity is there, because the roads are there!
    Get rid of the roads, and we limit "everyone"!!

Have at it.
    Yes! There has to be serious discussion and immediate action. Even, as Alberta has done, limit OHVs to specific trail systems. The problem isn't people walking or riding bicycles down an old FSR, but the 10 guys in tucks, quads or SxS every hr or two.
    Christopher Hitchens: "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
    Jonathan Swift: “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”