Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk about Road Acces

Re: Lets Talk about Road Acces

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    I believe every area even within a region has a different reason for why wildlife is declining ... I could only comment on very small areas , that my extended family has hunted for over 100 years without change until the last decade .
    That sounds more like "I don't have the answer so I'll give a generalization" response.

Road density is a huge issue that affects wildlife movement, utilization of preferred habitat, predators etc. Region 8 has the highest road density in the province.

You also say consulting companies are lining their pockets - care to expand on that?

You need to have hard data to support future decisions, implement/expand seasons etc. Without it, government isn't likely to support recommendations.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

So I'm not putting words in someone's mouth..

Dannybuoy, do you think having a road density cap and replanting(reclaiming) trees on roads that are above said threshold, would have a

A) positive effect on BC's wildlife
    B) negative effect on BC's wildlife
    C) no effect on BC's wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    For the record I am not against managing access. Restrictions should be in place where they are required. Road right of way and habitat go hand in hand. Spraying to control plant growth is nonsense. Where road density surpasses a certain limit or impacts wildlife road closures may be required.

There has to be an accepted volume of road access that allows reasonable access for all. Seasonal, and altitude restrictions may also be effective.

I don't need to access the alpine to hunt. But that doesn't mean I still don't get brought to tears every time I get close. I am worried soon the only access I will get is if I pay for a helicopter ride to some ritzy lodge for the rich and famous. You cannot imagine the sense of freedom I experience to head out alone into my favorite valley and drive up my favorite side road negotiating some bad terrain and finally getting to my favorite spot so I can be alone with my thoughts and the most beautiful country any one has ever seen.
    This Spring I will do exactly that, and it will take me an hour and a half from my driveway. I am not ready to give that up.
    I appreciate this post from you.
    I too (ironic since I started the thread) don't want to see some roads gone either.
    Agreed, most of us are not privileged enough to go on horse.
    The EK is like my 2nd home, and nothing compares to it's beauty anywhere else on the planet, imo.
    I would forgo the beauty between Miss January' thighs anytime to stand on top of a 2500m peak in the Rockies of the EK.
    (yes, I am not quite right in the head at times)

I can visualize the roads you speak of.
    Theres roads that run along the main rivers, then there are roads that off shoot from them and up a mtn, giving you some decent hunting opportunity and better still, some fantastic view.
    Those aren't the roads I want to see gone either, if possible.
    But, compared to 30 years ago, you go up that road into the mtn, and there is nothing but one long cut block, from rock face, down to creek and back up the other side to the other rock face.
    And nothing but spur roads/slash roads going up every 500 yards it seems (it's that stuff that has to stop, and a lot of it
    is due to what we have allowed the forestry industry to cut down)

I want you to visualize this scenario, where I hunt around kammy (and others can say the same in other parts of the province that they see).
    My buddy drops me off on a main fsr. (this is an actual scenario!!)
    I walk due west 1km.
    Meanwhile, he drives 5km due north, then 1 km due west and then 5km due south, and picks me up again.
    During his drive, he has passed no less then 8 roads shooting off elsewhere.
    I, during my walk, pass no less then 4 roads shooting off.
    The whole time I walk, I can see in any direction for at least 2 km, without hardly a tree to obscure my view.
    (and the stands of trees that you do see in the distance, are only a 100 yards deep till the next opening!)
    During that walk out in the open, there are slash roads all over.
    Same goes for my buddy during his drive, he can see for 2-3 km in every direction and plent of skidder and slash roads as well.

Now imagine, a Moose moving across this area, 1 km to 2 km way from me or my partner.
    It would take my partner all but a minute to figure out 8 different ways to approach that Moose!
    To close distance to a shootable range.
    I too have many options to get thru the area quick on foot!

That's the crap that has to stop.
    Yes, the reason for this scenario is logging, but the roads are the by product.
    And yes, the beetle kill has a lot to do with it lately, but this scenario was going on long before the beetle showed up in the area I am talking about.

So, even if you put in the regs that we cant use quads or even trucks, some still can.
    Do you think Moose, Deer and Elk stand a chance in this type of terrain we have just created?
    Do you not think in this case, there is "way too much access opportunity"?

I don't want to see everything torn up, not by a long shot.
    But some areas just have way too much access to every square inch of that area.

Thanks Bugle M In, You describe perfectly the area I hunt.
    "There's roads that run along the main rivers, then there are roads that off shoot from them and up a mtn, giving you some decent hunting opportunity and better still, some fantastic view."

We can agree that road density needs to be addressed. The area you describe is overrun with roads. Reducing road access in areas that you describe would make sense to me and I could support that. We do need to address every area individually to make changes.
    Some would have all access removed. I don't support that, and I am pretty aggressive when it comes to access for me. I need some FSR and side roads to allow me to gain access. I have never hunted Kamloops and from what I hear road density is off the charts and that is not cool. Closures need to be instituted in cases such as you describe.

Last edited by Island Idiots; 03-07-2019 at 02:27 PM.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

hey there we go looks like we are all on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    Thanks Bugle M In, You describe perfectly the area I hunt.
    "There's roads that run along the main rivers, then there are roads that off shoot from them and up a mtn, giving you some decent hunting opportunity and better still, some fantastic view."

We can agree that road density needs to be addressed. The area you describe is overrun with roads. Reducing road access in areas that you describe would make sense to me and I could support that. We do need to address every area individually to make changes.
    Some would have all access removed. I don't support that, and I am pretty aggressive when it comes to access for me. I need some FSR and side roads to allow me to gain access. I have never hunted Kamloops and from what I hear road density is off the charts and that is not cool. Closures need to be instituted in cases such as you describe.

Sounds about right to me as well , as I said lots of different scenarios , almost every valley is different . In respect to road density I haven't seen anything like described that they didn't obliterate alot of the spur roads .

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan f. View Post
    So I'm not putting words in someone's mouth..

Dannybuoy, do you think having a road density cap and replanting(reclaiming) trees on roads that are above said threshold, would have a

A) positive effect on BC's wildlife
    B) negative effect on BC's wildlife
    C) no effect on BC's wildlife
    A) from reading some of the other posts . Any areas I have seen aren't that bad .... and the tree's grow up and within 10 years or so that cutblock is a great hiding spot .

roads are a vital part of everyone enjoying the wilderness
    I think that once there is road access to an area it is not wilderness any more.
    I

You cant compare the road density today compared to the 70's for instance.
    There were lots of roads that have been around forever.
    Those roads didn't equate to loss of wildlife back then.
    If you look into the Game #'s, during that time some areas actually did see wildlife increase.
    But, you look at how different the landscape is now, and yes, in part to beetle kill, but none the less, regardless of reasons,
    the logging really got out of hand, and so did all the roads.

I guess there could be some debate to as if the problem is actually road access or loss of mature growth canopy?
    Either way, we don't need all those roads.
    And those roads shouldn't just be restricted by a sign.
    This is a thread on road access, but we all know how those roads got there, and we all have to appreciate the opportunities
    it has/does and will give us.
    But when is too much...to much.?
    When is a cut block too big and too many in a given area?
    How much "sightline" is too much?

Road Access is only a part of the issue.
    To me, I think we need to re-evaluate how we harvest the natural resources as well and how we leave it when we are done.
    I don't think we are as great a role model for the rest of the planet as we think we are!!
    It is a factor to why wildlife is failing to come back.

It's only one part of the puzzle, but an important one.
    You still have to have the proper habitat inside that.
    Lots of pieces that need to get fixed, and we cant really wait.

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    I think that once there is road access to an area it is not wilderness any more.
    I
    You nailed it!!!! Why are we wanting and needing endless access to areas we couldn’t get to in the first place. Is our own personal comforts and desires so important that we’re willing to accept these resource strategies ??? Remember we are leaving this mess for future generations to deal with. Why??? Why can’t we be the generation that grew balls and put BC back on track? It’s a classic David vs Goliath story. And truthfully I want to be on David’s team. We will all benefit from this both now and more importantly down the road when we’re worm dirt.