Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk about Road Acces

Hybrid View

Lets Talk about Road Acces

Talking with other members either here or privately, I find there are some differing of opinions.
    I find some views a bit alarming.

We all know there is "too much easy access" littered all over the place.
    Example would be the Kammy area etc.

It seems some hunters feel "Road Closures" should be put in place.
    That's scare me because I have seen that road closures don't work.
    Yes, it stops the legal hunter.
    But it does not stop any other "Outdoor Users"!
    It does not stop hiker and mtn bikers or ORV users , back packers and snowmobilers.
    And if the Restriction was extended to them, I guarantee you that the Ministry of Tourism would get some "blow back" to not let that happen!

Also, by asking for road closure restrictions, it again give the government an "Easy Out"!
    All it takes is a couple of printed words in the Regs and a few signs hung up.

Also, we have seen, and there is a lot of proof, these restrictions "Do Not Apply to FN".
    And we have seen enough to see that they take advantage of their traditional ways.

In other words, all road restrictions due is "kick Resident Hunters" out of the areas.
    No one Else!!

Solution is to really go after the government to have "Roads Torn Up"!!
    This stops everyone from gaining access!
    This gives the game the "break" they need from pressure from all users of the back country.
    It limits what poachers and FN can due to access these areas.

I wish everyone would start to think this way.
    Drop the road restriction signs requests and fight to have roads just "ripped up"!
    Otherwise we are just giving the government an "easy out" and they don't have to go to the
    logging industry to tell them they have to waste some of their profits on road destruction!

Honestly, if this meant lumber would cost me a bit more, to save our habitat from such easy access,
    I would be willing to pay for that.

We have to limit everyone to get in the back country.
    Not just hunters, or we will be sadly disappointed by the results.
    I have seen how dismal a 40 plus year road restriction for the use of hunting has resulted in
    "0" gain by having that implemented!

There are other factors that have caused the dismal return of game.
    Some of it again is over logging (imo) and preds.
    What form of poaching is going on, I cant say.
    But the opportunity is there, because the roads are there!
    Get rid of the roads, and we limit "everyone"!!

Have at it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lets Talk about Road Acces

As an ORV enthusiast and hunter with a disability, I take offence at your comments and find them selfish in there origin. Access roads are a vital part of everyone enjoying the wilderness. In your mantra you would limit all access so wildlife populations can increase and provide you with better hunting opportunities. This is selfish in my view.

Over access can have an impact on some populations, I get it. Increased access allows those that wouldn't normally experience the bush an easy opportunity to do so. They can get into some remote places with nothing better than a smart car. This puts those who normally wouldn't experience our great outdoors in a position to understand the beauty of our province and stand up for it, to appreciate it. City dwellers need to understand nature better in order to protect it.

Access roads also provide a way for fire protection equipment to get on the scene in the event of forest fires. Blocking off access to everyone is a bad idea and I find the concept selfish, disrespectful to others, and downright ignorant of the needs of others. IMO.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    As an ORV enthusiast and hunter with a disability, I take offence at your comments and find them selfish in there origin. Access roads are a vital part of everyone enjoying the wilderness. In your mantra you would limit all access so wildlife populations can increase and provide you with better hunting opportunities. This is selfish in my view.

Over access can have an impact on some populations, I get it. Increased access allows those that wouldn't normally experience the bush an easy opportunity to do so. They can get into some remote places with nothing better than a smart car. This puts those who normally wouldn't experience our great outdoors in a position to understand the beauty of our province and stand up for it, to appreciate it. City dwellers need to understand nature better in order to protect it.

Access roads also provide a way for fire protection equipment to get on the scene in the event of forest fires. Blocking off access to everyone is a bad idea and I find the concept selfish, disrespectful to others, and downright ignorant of the needs of others. IMO.
    I think you over reaction is due to some "misunderstanding" of what I was saying.
    Maybe I should have been a little more detailed.
    I am not talking main FSR's.
    I am talking about all those roads that branch off all over the place due to logging/timber extraction.
    Truth is, some areas, you only have to walk 5 minutes to hit another road!
    And I mean that, one after the other, for hours while walking, to the point you can almost get seriously turned around in and get lost!

Also, I have friends with ATV's, so don't get on my case about "not understanding atv users".
    I give them full respect, because they practice respect for the roads themselves!
    They don't go off road.
    Yet, they agree, they can get everywhere, and it is "too much"!!
    And if they can, so can others, outside the hunting season!
    I get ATVs being a cheaper alternative, and not ruining the more expensive trucks etc.
    This is not an ATV thread.
    This is an ACCESS THREAD.

Having said that, some ATV users take advantage of the whole situation.
    Going wherever they can, road , trail , or just finding their own path!
    That's where it goes "too far", imo, and I will stick to it!

Look at the Aschcroft Reserve Fire (elephant hill for politically correct folks!).
    Now you cant use them!!
    But some others can!!

Get my drift now???
    I am talking about many of the "off shoot/spur roads".
    And yes, there should be a "no off raid atv policy"...if you want to go there!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I think you over reaction is due to some "misunderstanding" of what I was saying.
    Maybe I should have been a little more detailed.
    I am not talking main FSR's.
    I am talking about all those roads that branch off all over the place due to logging/timber extraction.
    Truth is, some areas, you only have to walk 5 minutes to hit another road!
    And I mean that, one after the other, for hours while walking, to the point you can almost get seriously turned around in and get lost!

Also, I have friends with ATV's, so don't get on my case about "not understanding atv users".
    I give them full respect, because they practice respect for the roads themselves!
    They don't go off road.
    Yet, they agree, they can get everywhere, and it is "too much"!!
    And if they can, so can others, outside the hunting season!
    I get ATVs being a cheaper alternative, and not ruining the more expensive trucks etc.
    This is not an ATV thread.
    This is an ACCESS THREAD.

Having said that, some ATV users take advantage of the whole situation.
    Going wherever they can, road , trail , or just finding their own path!
    That's where it goes "too far", imo, and I will stick to it!

Look at the Aschcroft Reserve Fire (elephant hill for politically correct folks!).
    Now you cant use them!!
    But some others can!!

Get my drift now???
    I am talking about many of the "off shoot/spur roads".
    And yes, there should be a "no off raid atv policy"...if you want to go there!
    I understand you perfectly. You want to restrict my access to the woods. I stand by my earlier comments.
    I don’t believe preventing access is a cure for wildlife populations. If I can’t drive my orv to the Alpine I’ll never see it. You want to remove my access to the woods. You need to consider the rights of others.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

I understand you perfectly. You want to restrict my access to the woods. I stand by my earlier comments.
    I don’t believe preventing access is a cure for wildlife populations. If I can’t drive my orv to the Alpine I’ll never see it. You want to remove my access to the woods. You need to consider the rights of others.
    I find it ironic that you are accusing someone else of being selfish. It is 100% fact that roads and road access have a huge impact on wildlife. If you do not want to agree to scientific facts than it is very hard to have a conversation.

This conversation is about protecting our wildlife. It we want to do that then we have to be willing to make sacrifices. We do not have the right to drive our vehicles/orv/utv/atv wherever we want. We also do not have the right to hunt animals to feed our families. Those are privileges we have. If we want to keep those privileges then we need to make sacrifices to ensure the wildlife is healthy and thriving. This is why we have LEH areas, hunting seasons, and various other restrictions. We need to just stop thinking about ourselves and our own opportunities and start looking at the bigger picture.

I don’t believe preventing access is a cure for wildlife populations. If I can't drive my orv to the Alpine I'll never see it. You want to remove my access to the woods. You need to consider the rights of others.
    ​Care to clarify your statement ?

Pemby_mess Guest

I think you're taking a bit of an unfair beating on your comments. I see your perspective, but only carried out to a very limited extent. Let me ask a couple of honest question to help clarify where you're coming from on this, and how they could actually inform recreational land use policy:

Do you think your status as "disabled", should entitle you to a "right of motorized access" to all alpine areas in the province?

Once in the alpine, does your status as "disabled" ensure that you should have access to everywhere in the alpine? Or just the one designated road you used to access?

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

On topic .... This . Only the elite can get to so many areas now ( either elite fit or elite wealthy) examples : Valhallas , Percells , the Mrs & I could never hike thru those areas but guy wth a chopper or able to hike with gear for days can .... Not a fan ,