Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule deer study in the Okanagan

Re: Mule deer study in the Okanagan

Even some of those Fire Perimeters which basically are super wide roads are going to creats issues.
    The one area I hunt has them all over the place, and some went right smack dab into the honey holes (which sucks for me), but on top
    of that, are right in some prime MD winter range.

Some access is great and should be allowed, after all, we use them to get close to our favorite hunting areas, so lets not get hypocritical about
    some of the roads, which Forestry industry created.
    It's just too many roads in a given area that is killing off the area.
    And some of us don't play by the same rules to begin with, so all that access has made it a lot easier for them to experience they're traditional ways.
    Removing the entire forest isn't helping either.

There is lots of room to make improvements while at the same time leaving access available.
    But yes, at some point you have to leave the vehicle to go hunt areas.
    If we did, in time there might be some game closer to the roads where some don't have to get more then a couple steps out from the truck etc.
    Leaving things the way they are is just going to make the hunting experience more dismal than it already is.
    Change is needed.

Been hunting region 8 and 3 for the last 5 years and to be honest last season was the worst.

They should set minimum 4 point all season long.

^^^^?I think it depends from MU to MU.
    Last season I counted at least 4 2pt's in on weekend, all with 4-6 does.
    The issue was not seeing much bigger.
    I haven't seen a big change where I go.
    one issue I notice is I never really see more than the year before and with the fawns a see with the does, makes me
    wonder what happens "post hunting".
    Only other issue is not really seeing many large 4 pt bucks for some years now, but smaller ones yes.
    Last season post fire, I seen the most deer ever.
    Suppose the fire pushed them into the area I go??
    I think with all the fires that have happened, and I suspect will continue to happen, we will see game get pushed around.
    One area could tank while another increases.

What I hate about changes regs to 4pt, just like elk and 6pt, it doesn't work in the long run,
    IF, the issues of decreasing game is due to something other than hunting, which is most certainly the case, imo.
    If it is a hunting issue that game drops, than I can see the thinking of trying further restrictions etc.
    BUT, it isn't hunting, so why would further restriction make it better??

If this study shows that hunters are dropping the deer, then I will eat my words and admit I am wrong.
    But I think this study might just shed some light on what is happening "NOW".
    We cant rely on studies and past experience from the 70's.
    Too much has changed, our landscape is way different then back then, for many reasons.
    We have to see how the deer have "adjusted" and if so, is it working for them, or are they "struggling"?
    Everything from feed/diet to breeding and migration and Preds.

I think it's going to be a great start to see what needs to be addressed.
    Just worried not much more will happen after we know.

Quote Originally Posted by bangbangkhan View Post
    Been hunting region 8 and 3 for the last 5 years and to be honest last season was the worst.

They should set minimum 4 point all season long.
    What is that going to solve besides having more hunters spending more days in the field? Right now the problem is predators and access. Remove roads. Impose access restrictions in some of the new fires. Continue to allow people to hunt. Leaving more 2 pts to live isnt going to solve anything except allow alot more food for predators at their current level.

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    What is that going to solve besides having more hunters spending more days in the field? Right now the problem is predators and access. Remove roads. Impose access restrictions in some of the new fires. Continue to allow people to hunt. Leaving more 2 pts to live isnt going to solve anything except allow alot more food for predators at their current level.
    The simplicity of this post is what makes it a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    When do we say the numbers are so low we have to NOT hunt them?

Well access is definitely an issue...road hunting is off the charts.

But if you restrict the 2 pointers then road hunters will automatically go away.

I am not saying to restrict it every where, if people are willing to put in the hard work to access areas in the alpine then those regions should remain as is.

Quote Originally Posted by bangbangkhan View Post
    Well access is definitely an issue...road hunting is off the charts.

But if you restrict the 2 pointers then road hunters will automatically go away.

I am not saying to restrict it every where, if people are willing to put in the hard work to access areas in the alpine then those regions should remain as is.
    Then you will have guys complain all the mature bucks are gone and genetics going to crap lol

Its too early to see the results of the new buck limit. Last winter also kicked the crap out of many areas. No need to jump into things right now when steps to improve buck ratio just started. Point restrictions come with negatives as well. Most states and provs ditched this management for a reason. Lower bag limit (like was just implemented last year), less days hunting, rut closures, and LEH were proven far more effective for buck management

Could BC improve management of bucks and see improvement in hunt quality along with improvements in herd health in my opinion yes and there is fact to support it. But to see real improvement in overall population which is truly needed nope

Need to address major issues impacting MD numbers of you want real results and hunting along with any buck season is really low on the list

So implementation of a poor out dated form of buck management that most of North America abandoned is probably not going to achieve the results you are hoping for

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    When do we say the numbers are so low we have to NOT hunt them?
    Wont matter.
    The ministry has stopped us for years by giving us tons of restrictions.
    And here we are, no game...or less of it.

Do we want to send a message to the government once again to just throw us some more Regs???!!!
    OR, do we want to tell them "F off and really fix the real issues"!!!
    NO MORE REGS......GIVE US CASH AND AUTHORITY to FIX THIS PROPERLY!

Handful of collared deer have already gone down to preds in the sample areas.
    FYI

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea