Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule deer study in the Okanagan

Re: Mule deer study in the Okanagan

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    Don't know much about the study but how are they tracking fawn survival? I understand it would be natural to lose a percentage of does to preds and with them their unborn fawns, that just means to me that we need strong fawn survival from the remaining does not just initially but to breeding age.
    My understanding is they are collaring fawns, not just does this spring.
    So, they get to know how many does "got pregnant" (which I understand was 100%) , so we know theres enough bucks to
    get it done. (so, hunters aren't blasting every buck around).
    And then in the spring, we see how the fawns do.
    Where they go, how many survive, and so forth.
    As Ourea said, some have already hit the ground due to Preds.
    So, that's Does gone and any offspring already.

Be interesting with the changes to the forests that we all know about, how deer are actually using it.

Only wish they had the money to have collared more.
    But l do like the areas they chose for the studies, as those are some "heavily hunted spots".

So now some will have to put their money where there mouths are.
    Meaning what are this issues.
    Feed and Preds...or hunters.

I have to agree that roads to have an impact. I listened to the Government Biologist report and he indicated the buck to doe ratios were low, where road access was higher. I have to think that high fencing and shifting landscape use is having an impact too.

With the data they are collecting and with the comments here that 'hunting is not the reason for the decline, one would think we might be able to re-introduce that lost late season bow only mule deer season. Even as a 4 pt buck season.

Well, with all the trees gone, and all the roads, and the continuing threat of wildfires yet to come.
    I suspect things will get worse than better for now.
    But, it gives us time to force the government to start allocating decent money into wildlife projects.
    Now is the time to look at some of the forestry practices, especially after they have dropped the timber, in regards to
    roads and burning/transplanting.
    This isn't going to get better over night, but e can use it to our advantage to make these new wildfire areas as productive
    as possible for the future.

And yes, I have found areas I hunted MD at one time, that were great areas, and did have hunting pressure to a degree,
    were great.
    But once all that logging and roads took hold, you could see things declining.
    That is not just a coincidence!
    Why were the areas so good for years beforehand, only to get bad after that started??

And yes, throw in the newcomers, wolves, and I see big problems that need to get addressed.

Where I go, I don't think we have a high fence issue, but I could be wrong.
    But I can see it being an issue elsewhere.
    I just don't get the "its okay for cattle, but I don't want any thing else on my property" mentality?
    And then there are the wine growers now complaining.

Where else does wildlife have a choice to go?
    There aren't any other untouched places left, at least not in the winter time.

A bit of good new is that there’s a bunch of money heading towards forest fire mitigation including $10 mill for prescribed burns. Where those burns will occur is the big question. Has to be some overlap between interface areas and mule deer winter range.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    A bit of good new is that there’s a bunch of money heading towards forest fire mitigation including $10 mill for prescribed burns. Where those burns will occur is the big question. Has to be some overlap between interface areas and mule deer winter range.

SSS
    That is great news, love the fires especially if there controlled, thanks for the update!

Heres the one planned for Crater Mnt west of Keremeos.
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5078109/p...hern-interior/

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post

SSS
    Good...thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    As stated in the article, fires help wildlife.
    They provide more feed, they also allow for easier predation for the first say 5 years before cover grows up
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I am going to say a disease of some kind. Yes there are more wolves. Yeah been some fires. etc etc. I have 19 cameras in Kamloops region 3 spread out. Last year I just did not see many mule deer period. Just did a spring drive. In regular wintering areas and fawning areas there is nothing. I honestly put 8 hours behind the wheel with binos and did not see a single Mule deer this week. SCARY.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    As stated in the article, fires help wildlife.
    They provide more feed, they also allow for easier predation for the first say 5 years before cover grows up
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member