Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule deer study in the Okanagan

Re: Mule deer study in the Okanagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Wont matter.
    The ministry has stopped us for years by giving us tons of restrictions.
    And here we are, no game...or less of it.

Do we want to send a message to the government once again to just throw us some more Regs???!!!
    OR, do we want to tell them "F off and really fix the real issues"!!!
    NO MORE REGS......GIVE US CASH AND AUTHORITY to FIX THIS PROPERLY!
    BC has been extremely liberal so it makes it seem like there has been big impact on regs

The truth is BC is still running on one of the least restrictive MD management plans in North America. BC has never really put effort into restricting MD it has always been fluffy minimal impact that looks like something. We still run one of the lowest buck to doe ratio management goals in North America. When lower is found the offset with by areas that demand higher ratio.

Things will get tighter

Regardless buck management is a small factor and without predator management and habitat improvement it does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    When do we say the numbers are so low we have to NOT hunt them?
    Some areas should probable have been shut down a few years ago, along with some other
    species even a few more years then that. Sadly many humans are more worried about there opportunity to shoot something
    then the declining populations. There may be some changes coming though on some species some of it has started and some are trying for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Handful of collared deer have already gone down to preds in the sample areas.
    FYI
    Too bad but not surprised

FYI
    They all ways will, and all ways have, that's not new, dont no about this study but the EK one is flawed since they altered the food source before the collaring of the deer,
    almost like they planned it that way, but they are seeing the bad side effects of it. Kind of like when they tried the kill the moose to
    get rid of the wolves theroy. Again this study may not show what started the decline many years agao.

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    When do we say the numbers are so low we have to NOT hunt them?
    Hopefully never, and since they haven't done anything yet in regards to restriction in or near fire area's, I would be in agreement with you if in fact some of these other things mentioned are given a chance.

Well, again, we just had a "major regulation" change to MD, to 1.
    Think that will be a great start.

If 4 pt restriction is put in place all season, so be it, as I don't take young deer anyways.
    But that's just me.

But, then someone "explain why" when it came to elk #'s dropping, that they basically did away with much of the cow leh
    AND made it 6pt restriction, AND, they still haven't come back!!?? (in the EK, and don't forget, to take more pressure
    off of that area, they opened up the WK to GOS, and, if that wasn't enough, many go to the Peace and have left the EK
    on top of that, so many areas the pressure is way down, on top of the restrictions)

So, explain how stop hunting females, and only targeting the prime males has helped that issue?????

Again, short term it worked at first, and then it didn't.
    In other words, short term gain for long term pain.

But yes, some will have you believe the hunting pressure is out of control.
    Glad I only have x amount of years left.
    I might just get to enjoy those "short term gains" then!!
    And just around the time I am done with my hunting lifestyle (thank god I got fly fishing), the rest of younger hunters
    can really start to enjoy "long term pain".

Address and Fix the real issues.
    Get off the merry go round and try something different.
    And I say that with a clean conscience, because I do have some young people who are close to me who enjoy hunting.

Maybe some of these "other people" who say it is hunting, might want to explain why they never came back after
    those extreme regs???
    Oh, I remember now....they don't answer that part.

FYI
    Not surprised in the least.
    Be interesting to see what % actually make it to breeding season in the fall.
    Sounds like they will also know what % fall to hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Not surprised in the least.
    Be interesting to see what % actually make it to breeding season in the fall.
    Sounds like they will also know what % fall to hunters.
    Don't know much about the study but how are they tracking fawn survival? I understand it would be natural to lose a percentage of does to preds and with them their unborn fawns, that just means to me that we need strong fawn survival from the remaining does not just initially but to breeding age.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    Don't know much about the study but how are they tracking fawn survival? I understand it would be natural to lose a percentage of does to preds and with them their unborn fawns, that just means to me that we need strong fawn survival from the remaining does not just initially but to breeding age.
    areas with low fawn survival, the ministry should be hitting the preds right before and during the fawn dropping.
    Though I would probably win the lottery before the ministry actually did something like that. (They do this in some states apparently, and it makes sense)
    Last edited by Scotty76; 03-20-2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    If one takes a bit of time there is a lot of public information on this project, some of which is posted on this thread.
    New fawns will be collared this spring now that some of the pregnant does are collared and being tracked.

Mortality rates will begin to declare themselves area to area.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea