Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Project : Layout Boat/w dog

Re: Project : Layout Boat/w dog

Hmm dont know anything about marsh boats.HOWEVER. .that Jessie is one fine looking best friend.
    cheers
    Srupp

So how is the new layout boat working Ron? I got out today (last day of geese) for the first time this year, aghhhh. Got myself a Christmas goose!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

SO, as it turns out this layout boat set up worked pretty good once out in the marsh but I ended up having to tow it out behind my canoe or jon boat because it wasn't stable enough with gear and dog to paddle. And it was a bitch to paddle.

So in the off season I looked at different options and picked up a Discovery 119 canoe/kayak hybrid. Sub 50# and picked it up at less than cost because it had a couple scratches on it, not a big deal for a duck hunter.

Over the summer I retrofitted my old layout to be able to quickly set up (takes about 3 minutes).

I loaded it up last weekend with blind, gear, decoys and dog and went for a paddle. Quite stable and easily paddles (was actually surprised at how fast it goes.) I can paddle through as little as 5" of water and pull it simply with as little as 2". I want to be able to set up in up to 18" of water so I made 4 30x 2" posts that drive into the mud and secure to the cross frames, stabilizing the canoe perfectly for the dog to exit and enter as well as shooting ( worked well with it's predecessor). And when pulled into the small muddy channels (anyone who hunts the tidal flats knows what I mean) its a stable as can be and disappears.

Should fit the bill perfectly when hunting tidal flats on days when there is too much water for a layout and not enough cover for a blind

Last edited by Ron.C; 10-09-2020 at 11:18 AM.