Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project : Layout Boat/w dog

Re: Project : Layout Boat/w dog

It looks like you may have enough room behind your layout blind for a mutt hut. That would conceal her. Will she have any difficulty getting back into the boat after a retrieve or do you plan on making a ramp for her?

My dog blind fits my dog quite easily,,,,or my two grand kids.

IMG_1016 by Brent Davy, on Flickr
    Last edited by mastercaster; 07-06-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    It looks like you may have enough room behind your layout blind for a mutt hut. That would conceal her. Will she have any difficulty getting back into the boat after a retrieve or do you plan on making a ramp for her?
    I was thinking of one of the dog blinds used by field layout guys, then I could use it when we are hunting out of my other layout. Agree, there's lots of room for one. "what model is that one?"

it will be used in 10-15 of water on the tidal flats on the edge of deeper channels. Will see if she can get in in that depth of water during our testing and adjust from there.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-06-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I was thinking of one of the dog blinds used by field layout guys, then I could use it when we are hunting out of my other layout. Agree, there's lots of room for one. "what model is that one?"

it will be used in 10-15 of water on the tidal flats on the edge of deeper channels. Will see if she can get in in that depth of water during our testing and adjust from there.
    My blind is the Rig 'em Right blind,,,,available at Cabelas - I bought it out of the States for about $50 less than they are up here. ($120 USD)

BUT if I had to do it all over again I'd buy the MOmarsh Invisilab blind. I think one of those would be ideal for your situation! If you didn't want to put it in the boat you could set it up right beside the boat because the legs can extend up to 36" if need be. They're more money ($185 USD) but I think it would be well worth it for your location. I still may get one but I need to sell mine first.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/moma...-lab-dog-blind

https://youtu.be/Ko7nAG9-0wU
    Last edited by mastercaster; 07-06-2019 at 08:51 PM.

I had looked at the momarsh blind. Pretty slick. My big concern would be the saltwater on the adjustable points and linkages on that blinds frame.

It would be awesome in a flooded field or shallow fresh water, I'm just not convinced of it's longevity in the salt marsh

I had looked at the momarsh blind. Pretty slick. My big concern would be the saltwater on the adjustable points and linkages on that blinds frame.

It would be awesome in a flooded field or shallow fresh water, I'm just not convinced of it's longevity in the salt marsh
    Wouldn't it be pretty much be like dealing with fishing reels and any other metal parts that may corrode while out on the water? Just gotta be diligent in hosing them down really well after each trip. I beach fish quite a bit and it's a PITA but something you just have to live with. Wiping down shotguns every outing is the same thing,,,,we just do it. Otherwise we're just asking for corrosion to show its ugly face.

I dont submerge my shotgun or reels in saltwater, let alone for hours on end.

Can water get inside the legs and what sort of locking mechanism is used to extend/retract the legs?
    Not saying it wouldnt work, just saying it allot of money for something that may not last overly long in the environment I want to use it in.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-07-2019 at 10:06 AM.

I dont submerge my shotgun or reels in saltwater, let alone for hours on end.

Can water get inside the legs and what sort of locking mechanism is used to extend/retract the legs?
    Not saying it wouldnt work, just saying it allot of money for something that may not last overly long in the environment I want to use it in.
    True enough.

I wonder if spraying them down with some gun oil would help? I guess it is the inside of the legs that could end up being the issue although you should be able to soak the legs in fresh water. Where I beach fish there's a river close by so I just sit in it with my waders/boots on and submerge my rod and reel,,,,let all the line out, too. Sure saves me time at home if I can do that.

Maybe you can do the same thing if you have running river in the general area because I imagine you've got to wash the brine off your boots and waders, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    True enough.

I wonder if spraying them down with some gun oil would help? I guess it is the inside of the legs that could end up being the issue although you should be able to soak the legs in fresh water. Where I beach fish there's a river close by so I just sit in it with my waders/boots on and submerge my rod and reel,,,,let all the line out, too. Sure saves me time at home if I can do that.

Maybe you can do the same thing if you have running river in the general area because I imagine you've got to wash the brine off your boots and waders, as well.
    I fired an email off to MOMARSH and asked them a couple question on the construction of the INVISBLIND. Barring my concerns about corrosion, I agree with you that its the perfect solution for me. Could remove the blind from the stand for use in the layout boat, or on the stand beside me, or with my traditional layout when only in a few inches of water.

if your dog doesn't move a lot you don't need to hide her. I use a dog blind sometimes but a lot of the times she just sits outside of my layout, or beside the blind. Ive had lots of birds come in as the dog is out there picking up their dead friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Fair enough Lorne. I think initially, it may not be a bad idea to conceal her, at least until she gets some hunts behind her and I can gauge her steadiness in the blind.

Agree though on some days, the birds just come in no matter what's going on.