Thread: Fisheries Scientists On Board International Voyage Investigate Salmon Survival ......

Fisheries Scientists On Board International Voyage Investigate Salmon Survival ......

An international team of biologists is setting out into some of the roughest waters in the North Pacific Ocean in the middle of winter to try to solve the fundamental mystery of Pacific salmon: What determines whether they live or die?

Perhaps the most critical, but least known, part of the salmon life cycle is the few years the fish spend on the high seas, gaining energy to return to their home rivers and spawn. This is where most of the salmon that stream out of Northwest and Alaska rivers each year disappear, most never to be seen again. Now the science team is headed into the remote Gulf of Alaska to try to find out which fish survive, and why.

“What we most need to know about salmon, we mostly don’t know,” said Richard “Dick” Beamish, a longtime salmon researcher in Canada who, with Russian colleagues, launched plans for the research expedition as a centerpiece of the International Year of the Salmon in 2019. He also raised about $1 million to fund the voyage. NOAA Fisheries contributed as well.

“Nothing like this has ever been done before to my knowledge, and I’ve been doing this for 50 years,” Beamish said. “I believe that we will make discoveries that will change the way we think of salmon and do salmon research.”
    (more)

http://www.cbbulletin.com/442194.aspx
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fisheries Scientists On Board International Voyage Investigate Salmon Survival ..

Thanks for the heads up ...Great to see someone actually doing some positive research...Dennis

Re: Fisheries Scientists On Board International Voyage Investigate Salmon Survival ..

Its always been a mystery to me why this wasn't undertaken sooner.
    Glad they didn't wait for Gov help

Stop fishing hearing !!!!! Good start
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Herring and hake

seaaroundus.org/data/#/eez/925?chart=catch-chart&dimension=taxon&measure=tonnage&limit=10

I used to think bottom draggers were the scourge of the oceans

bcbusiness.ca/trawlers-get-their-sea-legs

A good example of collaborative work
    Last edited by boxhitch; 03-02-2019 at 09:29 AM.