Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leh

Re: Leh

I think people get confused with how the odds work. In my opinion anything over 4:1 odds is not a good chance, even then...

I'll keep putting in though. The first 12 years of putting in I didn't get a single draw and then the last 4 I've got a sheep, group moose, and a Rosie and made them all count.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I have to ask about these Island Rosie draws.
    IS there any allocation of these draws given to any GO's over there?
    Also, do the FN get some in many of those draw areas as well??

Just asking as I helped my friend with cameras and scouting for his Rosie draw here.
    We found a cranker, 9x8, with many photos etc.
    But we soon realized that the FN could go in sooner then my buddy was allowed to.
    And yup, a week before he could go, bull was down.

I bring it up because I know of another member who had a Rosie draw on the island.
    Had a beauty bull picked out, as well as a secondary.
    When the hunt came, well nothing to be found??
    Was told FN got to it first, and again, before he was allowed to go.
    Just wonder how much that is playing a role.
    Also wonder why they get to go in sooner, especially on a species that isn't traditional to some areas and was a transplant,
    and is LEH to begin with.

Seems some "stakeholders" have way more privileges...or should I say, rights.
    my tag last year was the Oct -Nov tag. So, the 2 guys that drew the Sept-Oct tag had a crack before me, as did a GO client and FN's. A couple of the good bulls I had pics of hit the ground before my draw, but that's the way it goes

A couple landowners I spoke to stopped letting FN hunt because all the did was target big bulls and no longer let them back. And one would only let FN hunt because of a negative experience with an LEH hunter. Matter of fact, most landowners I spoke to wanted cows shot but understood why a guy that only ever gets this tag once wants a bull.

In regards to the LEH guys, All the local landowners I spoke to in my area gave the opportunity to the first LEH holder to contact them. So if you are going to put in for one of these hunts and want first crack at a specific private property, get your contact list together before the draw and start making phone calls or knocking on doors as quick as you can after you get drawn. good luck
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-01-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Once again people mad when fn take the big boy...mad if they shoot the cow...safe to say they shoot anything people gonna b mad...

I know a group of boys that used to go from the okanagon go over to wk to the leH zones in Wk for elk before opening multiple 350 400 inch bulls taken 8 9 points brutes

Quote Originally Posted by .308SLAYER View Post
    Once again people mad when fn take the big boy...mad if they shoot the cow...safe to say they shoot anything people gonna b mad...
    Quote Originally Posted by .308SLAYER View Post
    I know a group of boys that used to go from the okanagon go over to wk to the leH zones in Wk for elk before opening multiple 350 400 inch bulls taken 8 9 points brutes
    "Sustenance"....right.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Thank god,we have not a good native bashing thread for quite a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    I pulled a once in a lifetime Rosie draw last year, did 2 scouting trips, a hundred hours of research, found 5-6 herds with wall hanger bulls ... then the hunt came, spent 12 days in the bush, dawn to dusk, fate and conditions conspired against me, didn't see a single bull!

Oh well... I almost wish I didn't get the draw to begin with ... then again it was a fun endeavor, just stings that I will never get the chance again.
    Like you said, it’s a fun adventure either way. On the other side of the coin, years ago a friend of mine drew island elk in the archery season. He’d never shot a bow before. He practiced every night or two all summer, went over to the island with a friend, and dropped a nice bull early on day one. Sometimes it works out...

Me, I’ve never got a single thing, and I usually only enter “easy” odds draws. I’ll probably put in for a thing or two, but I won’t get my hopes up...

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_horse View Post
    I think people get confused with how the odds work. In my opinion anything over 4:1 odds is not a good chance, even then...

I'll keep putting in though. The first 12 years of putting in I didn't get a single draw and then the last 4 I've got a sheep, group moose, and a Rosie and made them all count.
    This is a good example of how it CAN work out. You probably wouldn’t have had the same success on those hunts if you got the draws in your first four years!

Just a form of taxation for me 12 years and counting since my last successful LEH

The Alberta system is more fair.