Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkeys east of grand forks

Turkeys east of grand forks

Hey all avid bc interior hunter here going to locate some turkeys this spring between rock creek and grand forks. I know the farther east the better but that’s not where I wanna go, too far. I am usually successful finding my quarry pounding the back roads and back country. So I plan on hunting that area pretty hard and no doubt I’ll find one, at least this is what I have read on literally every thread that exists online about turkeys in BC.

Anyways if anyone wanted to help me get in a little closer on some turkeys. Private property, fsrs good tips that would be great. I’m more than happy to share some reg 8 intel on deer bears upland etc.

I’ll be out there last week of March and each weekend right up to April 15 ready for the opener thanks ahead.
    Will share my research as I go on into spring right here

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkeys east of grand forks

We got a ton of snow in the last few weeks. Right now not much moving.

I will be there April 12-21 myself. If you want to join up and tandem I would be down. I have everything. Shotgun with turkey choke and turkey shot. Turkey vest and 4 decoys. Tons of calls including locator calls. I don’t have any honey holes but some information when hunting the area for white tails. PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    We got a ton of snow in the last few weeks. Right now not much moving.
    How much is on the ground there now? I was hoping for an earlier melt this year.

I found very little in the way of birds until we were east of Christina Lake last spring. Like zero. The were all henned up and hiding. I’ve seen flocks as far west as Penticton but they are usually hanging out on private land. My brother has a couple that live in his backyard in Kelowna. They are sure expanding their range.

(Is “henned” even a word? If not, I’m going to make it one!)

Plenty of snow on the ground and snowing steadily today.

I tried early in the season last year for 3 days. It was my boy and I camping and we bounced around between rock creek and grandforks. We saw one set of sign ( scratches in dirt). Saw no birds and we thought we heard a call one time. Tried scratch calling. We saw whitetails, mulies and sheep but no Turkey's. Planning on going a little bit later this year. I think the trouble was we ran into alot of private land down low in the valley bottoms and then when we were into crown land it was higher up the slopes. I don't know if we were not in the right spots or what but I don't really want to have to drive more than 2-3 hours to try and shoot a bird. We also ran into alot of ticks in the grass.

Quote Originally Posted by bowmagnum View Post
    I tried early in the season last year for 3 days. It was my boy and I camping and we bounced around between rock creek and grandforks. We saw one set of sign ( scratches in dirt). Saw no birds and we thought we heard a call one time. Tried scratch calling. We saw whitetails, mulies and sheep but no Turkey's. Planning on going a little bit later this year. I think the trouble was we ran into alot of private land down low in the valley bottoms and then when we were into crown land it was higher up the slopes. I don't know if we were not in the right spots or what but I don't really want to have to drive more than 2-3 hours to try and shoot a bird. We also ran into alot of ticks in the grass.
    This^^
    Plan your trip around the snow for sure. I'm out in Nelson and there's birds everywhere but they spend the winter in the valley bottoms where there isn't as much snow. Lots hang round farms and places where there's stuff to eat like compost. At least out on the northshore I haven't really seen any birds up in crown land. If you could talk to a farmer and get permission to hunt some private land that would better your odds. Out here people are really sick of them as they eat peoples gardens and poo everywhere.
    ig: mmckimmi

So do they move out of the valley bottoms as the snow recedes. Do they follow the green up like bears and ungulates. ? It really seemed like the prime habitat for them was low and I didnt see a reason for them to leave. I don't know anyone so.im basically stuck hunting crown land.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by bowmagnum View Post
    So do they move out of the valley bottoms as the snow recedes. Do they follow the green up like bears and ungulates. ? It really seemed like the prime habitat for them was low and I didnt see a reason for them to leave. I don't know anyone so.im basically stuck hunting crown land.

Cheers.
    It is true they follow the snow line as it recedes. Basically look for the new growth and that will be a good start.
    BUT...and I am adamant about this....DO NOT OVER CALL !!!
    I had a guy/girl park over a mile down the road. He/she let out a gobble call ever minute or so until he reached my spot. All that happened was the birds got smarter and left the area.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc