Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DFO Buried Scientists Concerns Regarding Steelhead

Re: DFO Buried Scientists Concerns Regarding Steelhead

rupert retired where you a gillnetter by chance???
    i will gladly park my fishing pole.if there is not allowable harvest dont....pretty simple.
    reported bycatch is one tenth the occurance.
    upper thompson hillbillys could use some education on what a trout is would help too.
    bycatch of sporties is rare on steelhead i know of one mort on the fraser and one on the chehalis which does not count where not the target was caught.

Walks with deer - Hahaha, no I was never a gillnetter, ever! I was a commercial troller, and had my own boat for 11 years, 1973 to 1984, but the amount of steelhead I caught was less than about 20 in all those years, like about 1 - 3 per year. They don't bite very well in the ocean. Whenever we caught a steelhead we thought it was a real treat, and we kept it and cooked it. But really, they are not that good table fare, very dry. But a nice change from the salmon we could eat any time we wanted to!

Really the current conflict is, as usual, who should get the allowable surplus. As I said in my previous post, it's easy to manage for conservation, just close everything down. Then, if the situation is not that dire, the next thing you need to do is allow First Nations to retain some steelhead, that is if they want to. Many times if you talk to them, they don't really want them, as I have said, they are not great table fare. But, they do have first dibs on them, so you have to talk and discuss what is realistic. After that, it is purely a matter of dividing up the remaining catch between commercial by-catch and recreational mortalities, even if there is no commercial or recreational retention. Simple, right? Hahaha, not.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    rupert retired where you a gillnetter by chance???
    i will gladly park my fishing pole.if there is not allowable harvest dont....pretty simple.
    reported bycatch is one tenth the occurance.
    upper thompson hillbillys could use some education on what a trout is would help too.
    bycatch of sporties is rare on steelhead i know of one mort on the fraser and one on the chehalis which does not count where not the target was caught.
    Think what he is trying to say is, are we talking about closing everyone down including any ridiculous catch and release on the few 100 that are left or do you only want someone else to shoulder the load? I've seen this before many times and if you always point the finger elsewhere you create animosity which does nothing to help the steelhead. By the way, full disclosure I was involved in the industry for 25 years working on a seiner so I've got some insight and have always felt huge opportunities were missed because of the blame game. Now I can believe that Gillnet's in October may take some steelhead in the Fraser But so do aboriginal nets and contrary to the article they are still fishing so lets slam them and alienate another even more powerful group. As for by-catch been 1/10th of actual catch, where did that info come from, do you have anything at all to back it up? Not trying to be a dick but a statement like that does not help. Now, no one has to believe this but we fished Johnstone Straight a lot(every chum opening) and it was very unusual to get a steelhead maybe 5 or ten max in 25 years, we would go years without seeing one. So there was bycatch but in my experience it was very low and in today's shortened fisheries with less boats would be just about non existent. It would be a tragedy to lose these fish so get everyone together and sit down and figure it out without blaming one group. If you know a Fraser River gillnetter buy him a coffee and ask him what can we do collectively with all of the groups involved sharing the pain. You may be surprised with his outlook and desire to help.

Well put Rupert Retired and keta1969

sorry gents i will reply in more detail from my computer tommorow(rare i reply with that)

please explain to me how a seiner or troller in the ocean is comparable to a drift gill net in the bottlenecked fraser? targeting a school species and run in the ocean compared to a mix bag in the river in a pinch point...lol not even comparable..

by catch to much bycatch is reported seasons are ended...hence old schoolers throwing fish over board..
    gillnetting on the fraser i have worked the boat many a summer for sockeye and fall for chum..the later the chum the better the eggs right??? to much bycatch and no more season..
    i know many gillnetters on the fraser i have fished on gill boats from the mission bridge to port man...

natives are a totaly other subject and they dont net chum on halloween from what i have seen.
    i am sure you guys are proud of the livelyhood you made but boys shes over harvested...managing too zero..

There is no such thing as "Steelhead Science" … it is an absolute oxymoron!

The province has been misreporting steelhead abundance for decades, and getting away with it unfortunately. The agenda is to create the illusion of a crisis to shut down the commercial fishermen and the FN's. There is no "science", just relentless rhetoric, fearmongering and bullying.

They lowball steelhead escapements and highball catch by other sectors.

One of the few good things DFO has done is to stand up the province on this issue.

Thumbs down Re: DFO Buried Scientists Concerns Regarding Steelhead

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post
    ... They lowball steelhead escapements and highball catch by other sectors.

One of the few good things DFO has done is to stand up the province on this issue.
    Spoken like either a true gillnetter, or one with his head firmly buried in the sand.

Carry on, but understand there is indeed a LOT of science, and it's all pretty much against your opinion...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

ironnoggin and i disagree on alot..

that said him being a retired bioligist and when we all know industry has to survive but at what cost...
    over harvest is the leading issue of all speceices.

you should see what comes out of the nets when they commercial fish kamloops lake.

Im going to go out on a limb here and say the nets in the fraser are a BIG BIG part of the problem.. Ban all net fishing around the AWorld and we will see all fish stocks make a HUGE recovery.. You can't catch all the fish in the oceans with two hooks per line.. Just saying

my favorite foods are red spring than sockeye,next blacktail and 4th moose..5th mule deer..lately i eat alot of trout and whitetail from populations that are high and hard to impact...
    pull the nets...is a good start.