Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wolves in 100 Mile House??

Re: Wolves in 100 Mile House??

I have a cabin on Deka lake and planned to hunt in the area. But with the fires and wolves, I haven't tried yet as it didn't sound promising...

It really is too bad as it was once such a beautiful area to hunt and the game was plentiful. Logging has changed the landscape to the point where a lot of it isn't even recognizable from 10 years ago. Pretty easy for the wolves to get around and spot moose in the endless cut blocks. I remember a few years back a pack of wolves actually brought down a cow moose in the middle of a subdivision on Deka. At least the fishing is good!

My son had a doe draw in 5-1 this year and we didn't even see 1 deer around Deka Lake. Saw lots of wolf sign. Found all the deer hide i the hick blow down all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotMoose View Post
    It really is too bad as it was once such a beautiful area to hunt and the game was plentiful. Logging has changed the landscape to the point where a lot of it isn't even recognizable from 10 years ago. Pretty easy for the wolves to get around and spot moose in the endless cut blocks. I remember a few years back a pack of wolves actually brought down a cow moose in the middle of a subdivision on Deka. At least the fishing is good!
    I think the beetle/logging is a big part of much of the declines in game all over the province.
    I remember when they attacked the area due to beetle with just some "selective logging", taking out only the infected trees
    (which is a lost cause), but it made for some great hunting and lots of game in and around those areas.
    But once they realized they were behind the 8-ball, and had at it, you could see the declines almost immediately after.
    And throw I the wolves.
    The fires are a good thing, but I think it will take many years for those areas to be good, not just a couple.

Basically everywhere around 100 mile has wolf sign. Ive seen them right on exeter lake a couple times this year. North south east west they are around, connecting and getting a shot on them is always a challenge but they are there . Cougars are thick in the area too. another one was in my backyard in the 108 yesterday.
    Last edited by Rotorwash; 02-25-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I think the beetle/logging is a big part of much of the declines in game all over the province.
    I remember when they attacked the area due to beetle with just some "selective logging", taking out only the infected trees
    (which is a lost cause), but it made for some great hunting and lots of game in and around those areas.
    But once they realized they were behind the 8-ball, and had at it, you could see the declines almost immediately after.
    And throw I the wolves.
    The fires are a good thing, but I think it will take many years for those areas to be good, not just a couple.

Agreed. When they started "selectively logging" the hunting was fantastic. Then they really started whacking the place and there are cut blocks on the Bonaparte plateau the size of small towns which are completely void of game. There's deer running around during the summer months but once they migrate out at the end of september the whole area is very desolate. Almost eerie. Hopefully once all these blocks reach that 10-15 year mark and provide some cover/feed the game will return. I also agree when it comes to the fires. These areas will eventually be lush with vegetation and provide good habitat but it won't be in a year or two