Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kifaru Universal Gun Bearer

Re: Kifaru Universal Gun Bearer

Picked up a the universal gun bearer last season and used on MR marshall pack. Overall I like it a lot, I think it’s the way to go. My favourite thing about it is the ability to use hiking poles and still have my rifle easily accessible. That helps me feel more at ease while hiking in grizz country. I love not having to deal with a sling constantly slipping off my shoulder.
    Cons: it puts a little more stress on the hip. And you have to get used to having your gun barrel always being in your vision.
    Pros far outweigh the cons IMO. I would recommend it to anyone.

I went the Stone Glacier gun sling route. It's a very similar design and is $12.00 cheaper! I have slightly modified it to fit my Kuiu Icon Pro. I can use the same sling in forward carry or have the rifle behind my shoulder while still allowing a quick release. First time using it last season and I would never go back. Hands free, easy glassing without having to set your rifle down, no sling popping off your shoulder. Best addition to my system cant believe it took me so long to get on board.

This is my first time seeing these,they look awesome!I have always found by the time you have a bono harness and a backpack a rifle slung in your shoulder just doesn’t have space and everything bunches,this looks like a smart solution.....gunna have to give them a go.

For what it’s worth I recently got the new Sitka version the pyrite sling and it is awesome.

Brad

Iv used one for a few years. On long days, it sure adds a drag to the shoulder, it’s a pain reaching that shoulder strap adjustment. I adjust my shoulder straps often throughout the day, but most times ignore the gun bearer side due to the awkwardness, and later in the day my shoulder pays for it.

That being said, it is the fastest method of having my rifle ready next to packing it in my hands, so I continue to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Iv used one for a few years. On long days, it sure adds a drag to the shoulder, it’s a pain reaching that shoulder strap adjustment. I adjust my shoulder straps often throughout the day, but most times ignore the gun bearer side due to the awkwardness, and later in the day my shoulder pays for it.

That being said, it is the fastest method of having my rifle ready next to packing it in my hands, so I continue to use it.
    That's why I prefer the SG sling. On long treks I have it in rear carry behind my shoulder and once I'm into a good area I'll bring it into front carry.

Do you have any pics? Is there anything you have to do to change carry position?

Gun bearer works great. The one made for the kifaru packs are a bit better. The universal one, the only issue I have is the strap that velcro's to the pack's shoulder strap slips sometimes if I don't do up the sternum strap. Does anyone have this issue?

I use one built for Kifaru packs. I do find it convenient and not too awkward. Unlike some other people here I find it really beats the shit out of my rifle. The grey paint on my Kimber is pretty worn where it touches the sling, the satin finish on the barrel is worn where the barrel strap attaches, and it eats Neoprene scope covers like no ones business. My scope would be worn down to bare metal without the scope covers. Maybe I just hike more hardcore????

I also have been smacked in the head and face by the barrel more times than I can count.

Definitely not worth it, vs strapping it to your pack, unless you meet Mr. Grizz on the trail...then you'll probably feel different.
    Last edited by ryanb; 02-24-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by g2mike View Post
    Do you have any pics? Is there anything you have to do to change carry position?
    Just have to move the strap off the shoulder and onto the frame where I added a strap loop. Takes seconds. I can email you pics if you PM me.