Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Kifaru Universal Gun Bearer

Re: Kifaru Universal Gun Bearer

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    I use one built for Kifaru packs. I do find it convenient and not too awkward. Unlike some other people here I find it really beats the shit out of my rifle. The grey paint on my Kimber is pretty worn where it touches the sling, the satin finish on the barrel is worn where the barrel strap attaches, and it eats Neoprene scope covers like no ones business. My scope would be worn down to bare metal without the scope covers. Maybe I just hike more hardcore????

I also have been smacked in the head and face by the barrel more times than I can count.

Definitely not worth it, vs strapping it to your pack, unless you meet Mr. Grizz on the trail...then you'll probably feel different.
    This is true. My rifle and scope does have some wear from hiking in forward carry. I was able to adjust enough so the scope wasn't an issue but I can see what you mean.

Have yet to be smacked in the face by the barrel. Doesn't sound fun!

Again this is why I prefer the SG sling so the rifle can be in rear carry but still very fast to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by g2mike View Post
    Do you have any pics? Is there anything you have to do to change carry position?
    Theres not many ways to change the adjustment, I think it’s just the added pull on that shoulder strap. On my DT1, I can put my barrel through my pack side pocket strap and use the bearer still, that way is comfortable, but it isn’t as fast when I draw my rifle.

https://i.imgur.com/8eQ8K0p.jpg

I use one built for Kifaru packs. I do find it convenient and not too awkward. Unlike some other people here I find it really beats the shit out of my rifle. The grey paint on my Kimber is pretty worn where it touches the sling, the satin finish on the barrel is worn where the barrel strap attaches, and it eats Neoprene scope covers like no ones business. My scope would be worn down to bare metal without the scope covers. Maybe I just hike more hardcore????

I also have been smacked in the head and face by the barrel more times than I can count.

Definitely not worth it, vs strapping it to your pack, unless you meet Mr. Grizz on the trail...then you'll probably feel different.

The face smack, always nice when you got two full hands of earth as you try swinging your body over to a good foothold spot lol. It makes ya mad like someone else hits you, Iv felt it also.

I get the same wear on my stock and shiny spot on the barrel. I didn’t like the smack to the forehead. Also didn’t like having the barrel right in front of my face and my headlamp blinding me, when I was carrying a very heavy loaded pack. So, the second year I used it (2007) I did a small modification. I sewed an adjustable strap to the back of the buttstock harness. The top of the strap attaches at the bottom pack connection of the shoulder strap. The length of the strap can be adjusted by just reaching down at any time and pulling the strap tighter or releasing the adjustment buckle a little. Adjusting the strap changes the position of the barrel. Works awesome.

https://imgur.com/a/JaNn9cX

I'm looking forward to getting mine, can't wait to get it on my pack to try it out

I bought one last season. Takes a while to get it set up in a way that is comfortable and doesnt pull your pack around too much. I used it for hunts with a lot of hiking and for that purpose it works well. For shorter jaunts where you drive and hike around and then drive again, I dont think its worth it though. But then again, its about having the right equipment for the right situations, so for mountain hunting, its great.

I really like the way it allows me to use trekking poles, by keeping the hands free.

I love it. I made my own, With a modification everyone can do. Add a little quick release on a strap behind your carry shoulder so you can clip the barrel up behind your shoulder while you’re hiking and then carry it in front of your shoulder when you’re hunting. Otherwise great piece of gear
    ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!

Since I hunt 100% in Grizzly country, I rarely carry my gun on my shoulder; however I have been looking for a carrier for the late season deer hunts, especially when pulling a sled out.

It's very pricey, but has anyone used the MR Quickdraw? Looking for something more for carrying the gun over the shoulder and holding it there and no so much for quick access.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I have one on my MR, it carries my rifle great and it’s quick and easy to get your gun up/out. Also if it’s set right it turns your barrel into a great rest for a quick look through your binos. But....I did have the strap catch on some brush or whatever it was climbing through a slide and my gun fell off and hit the ground pretty hard. It was fine and it’s only happened once but it’s definitely something to watch for.

Overall, I like it and it’s a good product.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    Since I hunt 100% in Grizzly country, I rarely carry my gun on my shoulder; however I have been looking for a carrier for the late season deer hunts, especially when pulling a sled out.

It's very pricey, but has anyone used the MR Quickdraw? Looking for something more for carrying the gun over the shoulder and holding it there and no so much for quick access.

Cheers

SS
    Looks like it would pop off your shoulder while hiking any sort of tough terrain. Also seems it would get in the way of a bino harness? Never tried it just some observations .