Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dehydrator recommendations?

Dehydrator recommendations?

Need your suggestions please -- looking for a good quality dehydrator, mainly for jerky (elk/moose/deer). Have been using the oven on low, but got a new oven that doesn't stay on when the door is slightly ajar...

Tip I've received so far from TodBartell to get one with an off timer.

Thanks in advance,
    SB

2. Site Sponsor

Pemby_mess Guest

Re: Dehydrator recommendations?

I've got a nesco gardenmaster, and an excalibur. Both work really well, but the excalibur has the edge by far. I plug mine into a timer. It's not strictly necessary to have one inboard.

We have a 20 year old American Harvest dehydrater, stacked 5 trays.
    Nothing special, no timers, no temperature adjustments but works well for us.
    Mind you, with the size of the animals I get, we really don't need anything fancy.
    You might need something a little larger.

I have a nesco too. It does the job. The extra trays are crazy expensive, maybe because my model is a few years old.

Picked up an 8 tray rig from Cabelas a few years ago. They seem to frequently be on sale. Took some getting used to and made a few batches of doggie treats before getting it right. Have since used for dehydrating chilli, ragu, fruit etc for a couple of canoe and hiking trips. My duck jerky still needs some work though.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    We have a 20 year old American Harvest dehydrater, stacked 5 trays.
    Nothing special, no timers, no temperature adjustments but works well for us.
    Mind you, with the size of the animals I get, we really don't need anything fancy.
    You might need something a little larger.
    We have one too. Works great. Was in Costco Langley the other day and they have a square dehydrator there. Did not look closely at it so know nothing about it.

I have always used the old school cylinder-shaped plug and go dehydrators but at Xmas I was given the” Cabela's 10-Tray Deluxe Dehydrator,” and it’s awesome. I really like that I can fit more food on the rectangular trays and that it has a fan to circulate the air and dehydrate food quicker. Being able to set the temp too is great since it doesn’t have a timer

Excalibur with a timer is the only way to go. Get yourself some non stick liners (Costco has them right now) and you'll be set. I got mine from Upaya Naturals back east. They had the best price.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

I have been using a Nesco it works good but it is round and when trying to layout jerky it could be better. As far as the end product it is great. I have been using a nine tray stack and it seems to handle about 6-7 pounds of ground for jerky. I have been shuffling the trays and find about 7-8 hours at the 160 setting is the ticket.

I’ve got a digital Nesco snack master, which has the circular trays. It works great and the digital temperature and timer control is fantastic. I usually do 1/4” jerky and just set the timer for 7 hours, turns out good. The only thing I don’t like is the circle trays... square would be much easier to load, especially to make snack sticks. If I bought another I’d probably order an Excalibur from Costco.ca