Thread: Buying and Selling

Buying and Selling

I am a great buyer but a terrrible seller.
    I am writing this because if somebody inquires or replies to one of my posts or anybody's post for that matter on HBC. If you show interest by replying to a post and i send you a reply back then i would appreciate a reply back again stating, sorry not Interested any more, found something else or tell me my price is way out of line. If you reply to me then you have first dibs, that is why i would appreciate a simple reply as in, "Not interested thank you.".

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Buying and Selling

I strongly support you.Simple manners would be nice.

When someone make an offer and I counter, the least they could do is say "No thanks". Specially when one has made an effort to send extra pictures as requested.

If you think online forums are bad, try Kijiji. I have met many nice people on Kijiji, but also many "no shows" and insulting offers.

I wouldn't rule out internet ineptitude in some cases, but yeah - many people seem to have no manners or etiquette when it comes to this sort of thing.

I've been guilty of the non-reply at times... and I agree: it is bad manners

I just get bogged down with so many emails (for business), texts (personal and business), and then there are social media DM's and forum PM's such as this and CGN's.

I think this way of communicating is still new enough that etiquette hasn't completely caught up. If I wasn't so distracted, I would surely promptly reply with intentions or status updates after requesting photos for an item I'm interested in - as I usually do when not so encumbered.

However, if a deal is in progress, as in "I'll take it, I'll reply with payment arrangement...", then that's a different ball game. That is essentially entering into a verbal (or digital) contract, so communication should be forthright.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

I've been buying and selling here and on GN since pretty close to day 1. Yes it would be great if everyone followed good manners and prompt pm and email returns and I'd say that happens around 3/4 of the time. As for the rest, its the inna-net you get what you pay for. Having said that I've had successful deals both ways with people that have really shitty manners in this, just takes longer. But some are simply time wasters.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

It is kinda frustrating as a Seller when you send some pics, whatever and never hear a reply. Have one on CGN where a guy is looking for a specific rifle, I have one so email him about it. No reply but he's bumped his "ad." A reply would've been nice even if it's "You want that much for that POS ??" On the other hand, had a guy on CGN last year wanting a shotgun I had, boxed it up ready to go and he emails that he's had a serious calamity at home, Sorry. No problem. Almost a year later he contacts me, we do the deal and now it's two shotguns. EMT received, guns sent and he was a very grateful guy.
    Except in rare cases I don't post for sales, tired of "will you take a carving / stuffed rodent, my wife, …… in trade." I just troll the "want to buy" posts.

Not to derail the thread but on the subject of manners. Over the years i have had many guys ask for guidance hunting on Quadra Island. I have always tried to help. In all those years i have had one person get back to me to tell me how their hunt went. Manners,maybe they are a thing of the past.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Unfortunately its 2019 and in BC bad Manners seems to be the Norm.

Hunters and Members of the Shooting community I find to be far more considerate but as somebody else said try Kijijijijij and such and you better have a tough Skin. Appointments get more often then not "forgotten" no-shows seems to be the rule. To avoid disappointment tell them you call 1 hr. before the appointment to confirm and if nobody takes the Phone you may not be there either.

On the other hand over in Alberta even young People seem to have respect once your over 50. Very refreshing to say the least.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    Unfortunately its 2019 and in BC bad Manners seems to be the Norm.

Hunters and Members of the Shooting community I find to be far more considerate but as somebody else said try Kijijijijij and such and you better have a tough Skin. Appointments get more often then not "forgotten" no-shows seems to be the rule.
    I agree with that. After moving a couple years ago I was finding some of the stuff I used on the island weren't really suited for here so I've bought and sold a lot on Craigslist lately. This year I sold a boat and trailer, ride on mower, canoe, kayak and utility trailer. Lord jebus did I have to wade through a lot of disappearing acts mind changers and general bull shit. But did find good buyers in the end. It takes some patience.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I've purchased some things on CL. I think some of the business is done through their smartphones. My favourite opening is "Thanks for the prompt reply." If it is.