Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ozzie in need of travel advise - Moose Hunt Northern BC

Re: Ozzie in need of travel advise - Moose Hunt Northern BC

Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread
    Last edited by barongan; 02-19-2019 at 12:02 PM.

I think someone is trolling for info!!

As noted it depends on how far into BC you need to go. Whitehorse to Watson Lake, which is basically the Yukon border: is a 6 hr drive. Fort St John to Watson Lake is a 12 hr drive. Either WH or FSJ has lots of vehicle rental options. At that time of year..you might miss the snow....you might not. No experience in winter driving...... best option will be a 4x4 and a lot of common sense. The CMA price into Fort Nelson is not worth it.....its only a 4 hour drive from FSJ, even in a pickup that's only ~$200 in gas, return. And the vehicle rentals are limited here in FN. Id rather take the ~12 hr return driving than the 24hr return trip. And yes, the weather can and does switch at any time.
    Now the drive from FSJ at that time of year can be beautiful and full of interesting places to stop... Fort Nelson Museum, Tetsa River, Muncho Lake, Summit Lake, Smith River Falls, Liard River Hot Springs, Watson Lake sign post forest......Same goes for the trip out of Whitehorse, lots of interesting spots. You almost need to make a trip out of it, not just a hunting trip.

Anyway, original question... based on "close to Yukon border"....fly into Whitehorse rather than FSJ.
    Octagon Barrels are "in"...they were never "out"

Thanks for the information and comments fellas. The Outfitter has suggest FSJ is where I need to fly to and he has also suggested a good camera for the drive. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not taking on too much of a challenge driving up there in October. I'm allowing 2 days each way for the drive and I'll allow a couple of days up my sleeve in FSJ on the way back just for bad weather. I might also bight the bullet and hire a small all wheel drive instead of a 2 wheel drive. But I'm not carting any meat or antlers with me. IF, special emphasis on IF, i shoot a moose the antlers will follow me some time later.

Any way I've got to decide between this BC hunt and an Alaskan hunt very soon. Both sound excellent and are the roughly the same price and I haven't hunted with either before. But as I've got a couple of Alaskan hunts under the belt and 2 x unused Alaskan moose tags I reckon I should try something different! This is absolutely my last moose hunt !! Seen hundreds of the damn thing but nothing LEGAL !!!

Cheers and thanks again for the comments and advise. It is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Rugersingle View Post
    As noted it depends on how far into BC you need to go. Whitehorse to Watson Lake, which is basically the Yukon border: is a 6 hr drive. Fort St John to Watson Lake is a 12 hr drive. Either WH or FSJ has lots of vehicle rental options. At that time of year..you might miss the snow....you might not. No experience in winter driving...... best option will be a 4x4 and a lot of common sense. The CMA price into Fort Nelson is not worth it.....its only a 4 hour drive from FSJ, even in a pickup that's only ~$200 in gas, return. And the vehicle rentals are limited here in FN. Id rather take the ~12 hr return driving than the 24hr return trip. And yes, the weather can and does switch at any time.
    Now the drive from FSJ at that time of year can be beautiful and full of interesting places to stop... Fort Nelson Museum, Tetsa River, Muncho Lake, Summit Lake, Smith River Falls, Liard River Hot Springs, Watson Lake sign post forest......Same goes for the trip out of Whitehorse, lots of interesting spots. You almost need to make a trip out of it, not just a hunting trip.

Anyway, original question... based on "close to Yukon border"....fly into Whitehorse rather than FSJ.
    Believe it or not the wife and I will be holidaying in BC and Alaska next year (August). Usual tourist thing I believe; cruise up and around Alaska. (But on a "small boat" 350 paxs not a cruise ship) and then a driving holiday around BC. I just mentioned this thread to her and now are looking / considering a drive up the Alaskan Hwy . Vancouver to as far North and back as we can get playing tourist in 2 weeks of driving.

Thanks again for the comments.

Bob

I'd choose an outfitter that can pick you up at the airport...hope you have a good hunt.

As has been said before, flying into Whitehorse might be a better option. If your outfitter is closer to watson Lake the drive would be shorter, and much easier. The drive from FSJ to Watson Lake is further and much more mountainous. It is a beautiful drive however.

Pemby_mess Guest

Maybe he's planning to ask you to pick something up for him in FSJ? I think I'd prefer to drive down from Whitehorse if I was concerned about time. Both sides of the drive are pretty spectacular, and both have about equal ease imo. Just make sure the rental has winter tires on it. Rental agencies in BC can be pretty bad for that. The odds of driving through a bonafide snowstorm in October are probably less than 50/50. IMO you'll have lots of time to take it easy for the drive.

Roads in October could be great! Could be 15 degrees..could also get a foot of snow in a day. Either way it will be fun! If it’s shitty out taker slow

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by Bob06 View Post
    Greetings,

I'm an Australian planning my first BC hunt. I'm looking at a moose hunt in Northern BC in October and am trying to figure out how best to get to the start point for the hunt.

Anyhow. I'll be flying into Fort St. John which appears to be the nearest town that Air Canada can get me to. Then I need to hire a car ( a Toyota corolla or similar)and drive up to very near the Yukon border and return, via the Alaska Hwy? The hunt starts in early October and finishes mid October. I have no experience with driving on ice or snow. I'm allowing 2 days driving each way.

So my question is: Am I being realistic or is what I'm proposing dumb?

I've looked at flying to Fort Nelson with Central Mountain Air... but getting flight details etc seems to be a problem and after a few attempts I've given up on that idea. Especially considering I'd still have to hire a car.

Also. How do you rate Air Canada with handling firearms and luggage. Can I expect lost luggage or do they have a good reputation?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    You need to talk to your Outfitter. If he is experienced he should have all this Info at his Fingertips. If he does not give you detailed advise, Book your hunt with an Outfitter whom does otherwise I am afraid your hunt will be as disorganized as he is.

Cheers

i

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !