Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ozzie in need of travel advise - Moose Hunt Northern BC

Ozzie in need of travel advise - Moose Hunt Northern BC

Greetings,

I'm an Australian planning my first BC hunt. I'm looking at a moose hunt in Northern BC in October and am trying to figure out how best to get to the start point for the hunt.

Anyhow. I'll be flying into Fort St. John which appears to be the nearest town that Air Canada can get me to. Then I need to hire a car ( a Toyota corolla or similar)and drive up to very near the Yukon border and return, via the Alaska Hwy? The hunt starts in early October and finishes mid October. I have no experience with driving on ice or snow. I'm allowing 2 days driving each way.

So my question is: Am I being realistic or is what I'm proposing dumb?

I've looked at flying to Fort Nelson with Central Mountain Air... but getting flight details etc seems to be a problem and after a few attempts I've given up on that idea. Especially considering I'd still have to hire a car.

Also. How do you rate Air Canada with handling firearms and luggage. Can I expect lost luggage or do they have a good reputation?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ozzie in need of travel advise - Moose Hunt Northern BC

The odds are in your favour going Air Canada. You don't have much choice really. You could fly into Whitehorse/Yukon & come down.

Who is doing the guiding?
    Lean it on your trailer hitch and whack it with any hammer you have. That usually knocks the front ramp off so you can then work on the sight easier. The stripped or broken screws can be dealt with later. Gun Tech

there was bright white light just in front of me and I was pretty sure my dead grandmother was standing there with a glass of milk and some home made cookies. Steve W

I would rent a 4x4 instead of a Toyota. Try a couple of brake check on the slippery section at a slow speed and safe spot. Slow down take your time. Keep the tank full. Have a fun journey

I’d second looking at flying into Whitehorse (depending how far south you’ve got to drive into B.C.). You’ll still be able to fly Air Canada from Vancouver and get your rental as needed.

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

If you do fly into Whitehorse check out Air North for flights from Vancouver to Whitehorse (at least twice a day). They are one of the most hunter friendly airlines you'll find over here.

RC

Depending on where you plan to hunt, whitehorse puts you 950km out of the way. Best to deal with CMA direct over the phone. But I would be flying to ft Nelson first option unless you have the time then yes fsj ro see some more country. West Jet should be another good option into fsj. If you have the time I reccomend doing the drive from Vancouver up, or wherever your starting point. It's a big province with lots to see.

FSJ might be a better bet for a decent rental vehicle? Not too far of a drive from there to Toad river etc., easily done in 8 hrs just putting along. Good luck and enjoy!
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

i would do it in a car no problem...
    as long as meat and rack being shipped seperate...
    bring your camera youll need it...

Have flown with firearms a few times with air Canada. Never an issue. Just make sure you follow packing requirements and all will be good.

Your outfitter will have the best details and may know of unique options for connections, like a shuttle or ride-share
    Air Canada doesn't loose baggage or firearms ...........for very long
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole