Thread: Making retrieves from a mutt hut

Making retrieves from a mutt hut

Now that Sako's first year of waterfowl hunting is all but over I'm getting her ready to do her retrieving from a mutt hut for next year by using some rubber and canvas dummies out in the school yard. It would be nice to do this out in the country where you could fire off a shot but because I live smack dab in the city, unfortunately, I have to make do.

I'd like to get Sako used to having her dog blind set up several yards away just in case the shooters have to stand in a ditch full of water so she can stay on dry land. Will probably help to save her hearing, too. In any event, I stood about 15 yards from her blind with her, then sent her into the dog blind, tossed out three dummies making sure she was steady to the throws, and then sent her ,,,,,,all the while trying to film her with my cell phone. LOL.

Today I made her sit after each retrieve but a lot of the time I don't when I resend her for dummies. Not sure what I want her to do in that regard but I have found that when she's sitting and her head is up she won't drop a bird to the ground.

Haven't done much dummy work the past few weeks because of the snow so she ended up carrying the odd one back by the rope. I'd prefer her to hold them in the middle of the dummy but it will be easy to fine tune her once she has a little more practice.

This was only her first day with this set up,,,,,thought she did a pretty good job. Feel free to respond with suggestions, etc. I haven't done any water fowl hunting in the last forty years,,,,,and none in BC until this year. I've just done a whole bunch of upland hunting in the past with my brits so quite a bit of this is new to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7q7YQJEtmE
    Last edited by mastercaster; 02-18-2019 at 06:25 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Making retrieves from a mutt hut

Very nice video of Sako learning.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.