Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Prawn Quota

Re: New Prawn Quota

Just in case some may not know the definition of "insanity"....it is "doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results".

Good god....have they not learned a thing from the Atlantic Cod fishery (for example)???

Clearly not, and only three possible options come to mind...

One. They don't give a rat's ass.

Two. They are too stupid to learn.

Three. There are agendas they follow that have nothing to do with "conservation".

I used to think it was either number one or two.

Not anymore...

Thumbs down Re: New Prawn Quota

And... Crickets.

Why the hell do we even bother...

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

One has to only look at what happens to an area when the commies get their opening but rec's are to blame or at take the hit.

Have seen it in local Vancouver waters and it's pretty much a given that when the com's get their opening we put away the prawn traps for a good 6 months; Howe Sound and east side of Van Isle south of Nanaimo are cleaned out.

We know how/where to catch prawns but pulling pots for a lucky dozen after the commercial guys have had their raping.....speaks volumes.

Well said Nog in post #10.

Thank you for posting the email links nog, I am not very articulate but I did email Rebecca a note politely voicing my disgust. But I won't hold my breath. Really a sad state of affairs

Thumbs up Re: New Prawn Quota

Quote Originally Posted by northernbc View Post
    ... I am not very articulate but I did email Rebecca a note politely voicing my disgust. But I won't hold my breath. Really a sad state of affairs
    Thank you Sir! Appreciated!

Letters & emails don't have to be overly articulate, but rather they need to be in serious numbers to have effect.
    If more folks took the bull by the horns and actually took a few minutes to write them, we might actually see some positive results.

Unfortunately FAR too many simply sit on their hands instead.
    And that, right there, is an awful lot of the explanation of just why the state of affairs is so bad.
    Really.

Jaded,
    Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by digger dogger View Post
    I freeze them in water.
    You must be getting some watered down prawns, fresh two spotted prawns are better that Atlantic lobster
    Don't like lobsters either. Both are pretty tasteless to me. Don't see the attraction. My favourite fish out of prawn traps was octopus.

I am a former commercial prawn fishing crewman. I took many home and tried every damn way in the book to keep them and I never liked 'em thawed after a month or more.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    The Dino is indeed managing this resource to zero.
    This is something they are well experienced in doing, and they are actively working on more every single passing day.

The ONLY sector to be consider for reductions is recreational.
    NOTHING for the commercial fleet, nor FN's (many of whom operate commercially throughout the year).
    The largest impact to the resource BY FAR is the commercial sector in this instance.
    That is due to the way they are "managed". It is a wide open fishery for a recognized Over Capacity fleet, no area licenses or attachments of license to area whatsoever. HUGE "limit" to the number of traps they can use, and license stacking is allowed (multiple trap limits).

Standard commercial operations are to flood the area with harvesters, fish the resource down to almost nothing, pull the pin and repeat elsewhere. It can take multiple years for any given area to recover as a consequence (Barkley Sound is a prime example).

In a recent SFAC meeting, i asked DFO's head prawn bio if he understood the definition of Insanity.
    He bristled, then continued to support their "management" program as the right way to go.
    Insane.

There will be no realized "savings" of the resource through this action.
    Any "saved" will end up in commercial or FN traps.
    Really.

There is a lengthy discussion on this matter on SFBC. Any interested should really have a look:

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...sidered.72479/

A quote from that thread:

"So what is happening here is the Commercial catch is crashing due to the Commercial over-capacity, and the only way for DFO to manage their way out of the bed they crapped in, is to take away the rec catch and fill the gap. Its a false economy, and left alone DFO and the Commercial fleet will manage to zero. Only then will we see a fleet rationalization to reduce effort/capacity.

East coast cod fishery is a lesson not learned."

aYup.

Not happy with what you're hearing?
    Then DO SOMETHING about it!

Get involved with your local Sport Fish Advisory Council (SFAC).
    Encourage them to send in their own letters to try an counter this draconian move and not rely on the SFAB alone to do so.

Send in your own concerns:

< Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca >

Minister’s Office

200 Kent Street

Station 15N100

Ottawa, Ontario

K1A 0E6

Rebecca.Reid@dfo-mpo.gc.ca ( Regional Director-General)

Laura.Brown@dfo-mpo.gc.ca ( Director, South Coast)

Colin.Masson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca (Director, North Coast )

Jeff.Johansen@dfo-mpo.gc.ca Regional Shellfish Manager

Andy.Thompson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Neil.Davis@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jeff.Grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Brad.Breith@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Carole.Eros@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Stephen.Groves@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Juanita.Groves@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

John.Webb@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

There are a handful of suggestions on what to include in your letter on the SFBC link above, along with a mountain of information pertaining to this matter.

Only continuing pressure will make DFO reconsider. I hope some from here will take to time to get their two pesos in.
    But given the Apathy among our own (something DFO actually relies on time & time again) I have to openly wonder if anyone actually will...

There is no science in regards to this change. This is politics and only politics will solve it...

Nog
    Thanks Nog for the info this impacts us all. What would you think if we try and get rid of DFO and have OUR oceans in BC managed by the province like we do fresh water?
    Thanks
    Mike

Arrow Re: New Prawn Quota

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Thanks Nog for the info this impacts us all. What would you think if we try and get rid of DFO and have OUR oceans in BC managed by the province like we do fresh water?
    Thanks
    Mike
    Hi Mike.
    I honestly believe DFO is the most corrupt and completely incompetent of all the ministries.
    And I do believe they should be dismantled, starting from the top down, and only leaving field operatives, managers & biologists of recognized talent, commitment & worth intact.
    Kent Street HQ should be burned to the ground, as it appears to corrupt all who enter for any length of time.

That said, there is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever trust "management" of our marine resources to the likes of The Whore & Dream Weaver!
    I can foresee nightmares of outlandish proportions were that to occur.

Instead, I would greatly prefer to see a well funded team of science & on-the-ground users form a non-partisan Commission for the oversight & management of the marine. One that comes with guaranteed, blocked funding the corrupt governments simply cannot get their dirty mitts (snouts!) on!

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Hi Mike.
    I honestly believe DFO is the most corrupt and completely incompetent of all the ministries.
    And I do believe they should be dismantled, starting from the top down, and only leaving field operatives, managers & biologists of recognized talent, commitment & worth intact.
    Kent Street HQ should be burned to the ground, as it appears to corrupt all who enter for any length of time.

That said, there is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever trust "management" of our marine resources to the likes of The Whore & Dream Weaver!
    I can foresee nightmares of outlandish proportions were that to occur.

Instead, I would greatly prefer to see a well funded team of science & on-the-ground users form a non-partisan Commission for the oversight & management of the marine. One that comes with guaranteed, blocked funding the corrupt governments simply cannot get their dirty mitts (snouts!) on!

Cheers,
    Nog
    Fair enough

Arrow Re: New Prawn Quota

Pretty decent summary from FB:

Most of us are thinking only salmon are going to be affected by the proposed changes,but here are some others.

Prawn retention for the 2019 season for sport fishers.
    - currently sport fishermen are able to retain 200 prawns,
    looks like it will change to 100 per day per angler. With a two day possession limit. This is also going to be combined with shrimp. So 50 prawns and 50 shrimp or 100 prawns would be one fishers limit for one day.

- D.F.O reasons for the change is that there is no data to tell them how much sport fishers are taking and there has been more sport fishers targeting prawns over the last decade with better more efficient gear.
    -DFO also stated that there has not been any changes to sport fishing prawn limits since 1996, this is simply not true.

- Oysters ,looks like this retention will go from 15 per day to 10. and also no more 1/2 liter shucked as an option.(hand picking only)

-Clams currently at 75 of which 25 can be butter clams
    -proposed change 50 of which 15 can be butter clams. the harvest size will also increase to allow all clams to spawn.
    -DFO reasons, mainly once again to not enough data on how much recreational takes but mostly because of more pressure on a lot of accessible beaches .

- Dungeness Crab, looks like more to do with gear changes (more escape rings in traps) basically all stakeholders will be abiding by the same regulations as far as size limits, hauling and gear restrictions. DFO also mention lots of illegal Crab harvesting in the lower mainland. Plenty done at night for the purpose of illegal selling. In Powell River hundreds of commercial traps seized for illegal fishing,yet are aloud to keep on fishing days later..WOW

-Chinook salmon we should know very soon,but you see the pattern here...

And yeah, I have a few issues with all this bullshit.

Nog

Guess he got to Know me