Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Prawn Quota

New Prawn Quota

Anyone else hearing the rumor that recreational prawn quota is dropping to 100 per person per day and 200 in possession

2. Site Sponsor

Arrow Re: New Prawn Quota

Not a rumor. Under consideration, and rather likely.

Don't have time to wander into the politics involved just now...

Suffice it to say we are witnessing some of the very best political mismanagement this country has ever come up with.

Again...

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: New Prawn Quota

DFO will manage to the last prawn swimming.
    Blacktailaholic

So what?

How many can you eat?

Prawns are like frogs legs and escargot anyway. Don't taste like anything without a pile of garlic and butter.

Don't freeze worth a shit either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hublocker View Post
    So what?

How many can you eat?

Prawns are like frogs legs and escargot anyway. Don't taste like anything without a pile of garlic and butter.

Don't freeze worth a shit either.
    I freeze them in water.
    You must be getting some watered down prawns, fresh two spotted prawns are better that Atlantic lobster

Now Im not for or against this, just uneducated. I'm curious how reducing the limit is a bad idea? That will in turn help manage prawns to zero?

Also we freeze them in saltwater in 1 liter containers, we can pull a container out of the freezer after nearly a year and they are great. Don't get me wrong, they aren't fresh. But very far from awful.

Quote Originally Posted by digger dogger View Post
    I freeze them in water.
    You must be getting some watered down prawns, fresh two spotted prawns are better that Atlantic lobster
    I think hes buying prawns from china.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I think hes buying prawns from china.
    or the ones neatly arranged on a circle tray frozen at the supermarket. sold with the dish of spicy ketchup to help keep you from gagging.

With First Nations being able to commercial fish prawns 24/7/365 days a year there are hardly enuf prawns to go around. Logical thing to do is take quota away from the sports fisherman. You know the guys that go to work for 5 or 6 days a week and only get to go prawnin a couple times a year!!!!

Arrow Re: New Prawn Quota

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Now Im not for or against this, just uneducated. I'm curious how reducing the limit is a bad idea? That will in turn help manage prawns to zero?
    The Dino is indeed managing this resource to zero.
    This is something they are well experienced in doing, and they are actively working on more every single passing day.

The ONLY sector to be consider for reductions is recreational.
    NOTHING for the commercial fleet, nor FN's (many of whom operate commercially throughout the year).
    The largest impact to the resource BY FAR is the commercial sector in this instance.
    That is due to the way they are "managed". It is a wide open fishery for a recognized Over Capacity fleet, no area licenses or attachments of license to area whatsoever. HUGE "limit" to the number of traps they can use, and license stacking is allowed (multiple trap limits).

Standard commercial operations are to flood the area with harvesters, fish the resource down to almost nothing, pull the pin and repeat elsewhere. It can take multiple years for any given area to recover as a consequence (Barkley Sound is a prime example).

In a recent SFAC meeting, i asked DFO's head prawn bio if he understood the definition of Insanity.
    He bristled, then continued to support their "management" program as the right way to go.
    Insane.

There will be no realized "savings" of the resource through this action.
    Any "saved" will end up in commercial or FN traps.
    Really.

There is a lengthy discussion on this matter on SFBC. Any interested should really have a look:

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...sidered.72479/

A quote from that thread:

"So what is happening here is the Commercial catch is crashing due to the Commercial over-capacity, and the only way for DFO to manage their way out of the bed they crapped in, is to take away the rec catch and fill the gap. Its a false economy, and left alone DFO and the Commercial fleet will manage to zero. Only then will we see a fleet rationalization to reduce effort/capacity.

East coast cod fishery is a lesson not learned."

aYup.

Not happy with what you're hearing?
    Then DO SOMETHING about it!

Get involved with your local Sport Fish Advisory Council (SFAC).
    Encourage them to send in their own letters to try an counter this draconian move and not rely on the SFAB alone to do so.

Send in your own concerns:

< Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca >

Minister’s Office

200 Kent Street

Station 15N100

Ottawa, Ontario

K1A 0E6

Rebecca.Reid@dfo-mpo.gc.ca ( Regional Director-General)

Laura.Brown@dfo-mpo.gc.ca ( Director, South Coast)

Colin.Masson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca (Director, North Coast )

Jeff.Johansen@dfo-mpo.gc.ca Regional Shellfish Manager

Andy.Thompson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Neil.Davis@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jeff.Grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Brad.Breith@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Carole.Eros@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Stephen.Groves@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Juanita.Groves@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

John.Webb@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

There are a handful of suggestions on what to include in your letter on the SFBC link above, along with a mountain of information pertaining to this matter.

Only continuing pressure will make DFO reconsider. I hope some from here will take to time to get their two pesos in.
    But given the Apathy among our own (something DFO actually relies on time & time again) I have to openly wonder if anyone actually will...

There is no science in regards to this change. This is politics and only politics will solve it...

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me