Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cougars in 3-30

Re: Cougars in 3-30

First time I ever saw a cougar in 3-30 was this past last spring when looking for bears. It was winding in and out of trees tailing a deer. Didn't take long to lose sight of it. Lots of wolves now and coyotes as others have mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Anywhere on Bonaparte Plateau that isn’t Burnt that may hold deer
    FALSE! The mule deer migrage off of the plateau to wintering grounds...

As for the OP question, if you want to buy a tag do it, but you have a slim to no chance of seeing a cougar without a dog team. You also have slim to no chance of winning the lotto or being hit by lightning, but it does happen
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post

As for the OP question, if you want to buy a tag do it, but you have a slim to no chance of seeing a cougar without a dog team. You also have slim to no chance of winning the lotto or being hit by lightning, but it does happen

Can't argue with Darksith he knows what he's talking about.

lol i agree with darksith...
    except i see many cougars.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    lol i agree with darksith...
    except i see many cougars.
    In 3-30?...or closer to Kammy in 3-29?
    In the area of 3-30 where I go, and it's been years now, I might have onlt come across 1 cougar track.
    Mind you, that's in the November/Dec months but in the winter range.
    And not all of 3-30.
    Just my experience.
    But have heard more of them in 3-29.
    Just my experiences to date.

Ever since the fires the deer aren’t as thick by Loon, they are still around but not even close to pre fire numbers, as for cougars there’s lots of cats up there, a cabin owner near the community hall always has cats on his game camera, he uses it for security more than anything. The way the deer hang out up there has changed as the fire pushed them out then the next year there’s crazy amounts of food in the burns, even barely any in the farmers fields.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post

I think we must be talking about different plateau's, your thinking of the one off Bonaparte Lake ?
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Has anyone here ever tried to call a cougar in with a distress call? Think it would work?

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    Has anyone here ever tried to call a cougar in with a distress call? Think it would work?
    YES and YES ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Ever since the fires the deer aren’t as thick by Loon, they are still around but not even close to pre fire numbers, as for cougars there’s lots of cats up there, a cabin owner near the community hall always has cats on his game camera, he uses it for security more than anything. The way the deer hang out up there has changed as the fire pushed them out then the next year there’s crazy amounts of food in the burns, even barely any in the farmers fields.
    I haven't been up there for years in that part of 3-30, so that should be some good info for OP.
    As for deer, for the last 20 years there has been a gradual decline up on the main plateau.
    Biggest change that is apparent is all that logging.
    But I agree, was up there this past season and was surprised how little deer sign there was.
    But, there was basically no snow around (which way back in the day, would have had atleast 2 ft by then), so
    I wondered if lack of sign was due to deer not being pushed down?

I have wolves/coyotes, but rarely see any cat tracks, whether cougar or bobcat.
    Sounds like more up by loon or just above kammy lake.