Thread: Census of Bavarian and Hanoverian Mountain Hounds in Canada

Census of Hanoverian Mountain Hounds in Canada

There is a Mountain Hound Club in Quebec that is trying to get the exact numbers of individuals of this breed in Canada in order to get the breed recognized. The club web address is http://infocccrh.wixsite.com/cccrh-english (Their English part is not yet that detailed as the French but they are trying.)

If anyone of you knows owners of this breed (as working dogs or not, intact or fixed, females or males), would you please ask them to contact Pierre Lavallée <ceaivik@gmail.com or the club director at their club email address cccrh cccrh <info.cccrh@gmail.com> as soon as possible? I believe they are almost ready to provide the supporting documents to the Canadian Kennel Club and any other organisation making the decision of a breed recognition.

Much appreciated!
    Last edited by slavo; 02-10-2019 at 08:03 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Census of Hanoverian Mountain Hounds in Canada

Just out of curiosity.....what are you trying to gain by having the BGS and the HS recognized with CKC??
    If you serious about keeping the breed pure I would contact the JGHV or VHW in Germany to establish Breed and Performance tests in Canada like VDD does.

Rainer

Re: Census of Hanoverian Mountain Hounds in Canada

The Hanoverian and Bavarian mountain hound club in Quebec are serious about wounded game tracking and recovery. I suppose one of the issues is that Germany does not even allow export of the BMH or HMH but there are other countries that have well established clubs and high quality dogs.
    Getting the breed recognized should/would mean having an option of buying a pure bred and registered puppy from a local breeder. They are quite difficult to import from Europe, and the dogs imported as puppies can not be shown here nor are there any local judges to evaluate the dog and his driver in the tracking abilities.
    The standard in Europe to get breeding rights is the dog (both female and male) have to place well in a number of shows where the breed exterior (looks, height, size, colour and so on) are judged, and then do well in performance - preliminary tracking tests as well as in a real wounded game tracking. For that qualified judges are needed, and training sessions for the dog owners/drivers may be very beneficial.
    The opinion of the club members is that the breed could gain popularity if recognized in Canada.
    Last edited by slavo; 02-13-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Re: Census of Bavarian and Hanoverian Mountain Hounds in Canada

The reason Germany does not want to have their dogs sold over here is that without the German breed standards,laid out by the respective Breed club,the breed gets tampered and screwed with and the quality suffers,like all the other German breeds.To have CKC or AKC to estblish a breed standard is asking for trouble.
    There is German certified Bloodtrack judges in Canada and US.
    In order for any
    German Hunting dog,regardless of breed,to be suitable for breeding,performance goes before conformation,has to have a Natural ability and a BP test and then a Conformation score.Germans give a monkeys rear about Kennel club scores.
    The Countries you speak of with the quality dogs are all members of the internationale Schweisshunde Verband under German mandate,scoring and testing is according to German standards,like VDD Canada and NADKV.
    My advise would be to get in touch with the JGHV and establish a club with German guidance,otherwise you will not be able to use the proper breed name.

FYI...the Hanoverian is not a mountain hound.

Rainer

Re: Census of Bavarian and Hanoverian Mountain Hounds in Canada

All that info is great, Rainer, and I can forward it to the Quebec club members. I do believe they have an annual visit from a judge from Europe for performance tests.
    As for Hanoverians, my bad - you are correct, the proper translation is scent hound.