Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What release aid are you using?

What release aid are you using?

I recently picked up a bow with the intention of starting bow hunting in the fall of this year.
    Not only is there a lot of talk on the web as to which style of release to use but there are also so many to pick from.
    So as the title implies which release aid are you using? Style, brand and why one or the other clicked for you would be appreciated.
    For me personally the bow I bought came with a clamp style made by Cobra. I've found myself battling with shot anticipation so I'm thinking of moving to a back tension.
    Discuss
    ig: mmckimmi

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What release aid are you using?

Fletch Hunter release RJ

Teeth.........

Carter ‘Too Simple’
    Its the only hand held release aid I’ve ever used so I don’t have anything to compare it to but I really like it.
    The Nock 2 It looks really nice as well. Or if you want to go pure back tension then the Silverback sure seems to get a lot of praise.

Archery Talk has a lot of technical info on it. Books are out there on target panic and getting a the suprise release with an index finger, thumb, hinge or pure back tension style release. Way too much to go into here. (Bernie Pellerite’s book is reputed to be one of the best on target panic.)

Volumes of good info is available....written as well as videos if you google the subject as well.
    Last edited by Blockcaver; 02-10-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jessonml View Post
    Carter ‘Too Simple’
    Its the only hand held release aid I’ve ever used so I don’t have anything to compare it to but I really like it.
    The Nock 2 It looks really nice as well. Or if you want to go pure back tension then the Silverback sure seems to get a lot of praise.
    The silverback sure has a lot of hype / praise around it. The only downside is the price is way up there. I'll be testing some back tensions later this month at the local pro shop before ordering anything.
    ig: mmckimmi

Stan perfex is a good back tension option as well, also expensive, I like it more than the Carter/Silverback option but I also own one so Im biased. I've shot the Carter unit once, it felt good but wasn't setup for my bow, the Stan seemed like a higher quality unit to me, and you can customize it more.

Trying some out and seeing what you like is a good way go go, there probably isn't really a 'best' option for everyone.

I have been using a Stan SX3 heavy metal for a couple of years now. It can be adjusted to break very cleanly giving you an almost surprise shot. Went from a wrist release and will never go back. I went through 4 different releases before settling on theSX3. They are pricey but will probably last a lifetime . Kind of like buying a Timney trigger for your bow.

This is like asking someone to pick your favorite color lol. Find whatever you feel the most comfortable with, unfortunately you have to try them to know this. Go to a bow shop as to try a few out, don't be scared to spend money on it though as they are extremely important.

I use a hook release style, compared to the jaws I found it easier to “ grab” my d loop with while spot and stalk hunting.
    True fire? I think.
    Also recomend archery talk to get ldeas how to prevent target panic,
    note that not all releases are created equal, sometimes different releases affect poi dramatically.