Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Places to hunt wolves and coyotes in lillooet?

Re: Places to hunt wolves and coyotes in lillooet?

I hit that area for spring bear. Seen a few good bucks and lots of nice bears up that way. Never hunted it in the fall.

Saw a wolf walking along carpenter lake in May. They are around.

I was up there in August just camping at the cabin at turnip lake. Spooked a sweet buck up at a meadow on the atv and seen some does but that’s it. Never really hunted up there yet. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    I hit that area for spring bear. Seen a few good bucks and lots of nice bears up that way. Never hunted it in the fall.
    min heading up there Friday for the long weekend. I still have a bear tag burning a hole in my pocket. Hopefully see one. Have you ever seen white tails up in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    min heading up there Friday for the long weekend. I still have a bear tag burning a hole in my pocket. Hopefully see one. Have you ever seen white tails up in that area?
    Never seen a whitetail up Botanie personally

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Never seen a whitetail up Botanie personally
    they are around in low numbers

Was up this long weekend. Snow started to fall. Explored many Kms of forestry roads and spurs. Got in in some places to walk and zilch, zero, Nada tracks or sign of anything. Couple old moose tracks, three deer tracks, some rabbits and couple grouse. James and I saw half a dozen hunters on the road during our travels. Take for it what you will , they all said they haven’t seen a thing. Many camps driven by and no deer hanging. Met this group of hunters from Williams lake and they said this was the spot 10 years ago. Went Medicine creek road. Explored all the way to Ashcroft and hat creek. Got to know the area better at least.

was a great weekend to get away though. Cabin on turnip lake got a make over, cleaned up a lot of under brush that needed to be done. Beautiful area up there can’t complain.

I’d avoid cut blocks and walk logging roads that are along mature timber. I noticed the last few days the deer are hanging out in the timber with the unsettled weather.

Yes, I’ve seen tracks in the cut blocks, but the deer are just trucking through to get to more cover. Also check out the islands of trees in the blocks. Especially if the island is on a ridge with good visibility.

We cover a lot of ground to and from work every day. Just my observations. There are lots of days when we don’t see anyone else on the FSR’s in prime deer habitat. If I was going to go out, I’d plan for a day when it’s snowing and try and cut some fresh tracks. It’s the easiest way to see if an area has deer moving around.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    Was up this long weekend. Snow started to fall. Explored many Kms of forestry roads and spurs. Got in in some places to walk and zilch, zero, Nada tracks or sign of anything. Couple old moose tracks, three deer tracks, some rabbits and couple grouse. James and I saw half a dozen hunters on the road during our travels. Take for it what you will , they all said they haven’t seen a thing. Many camps driven by and no deer hanging. Met this group of hunters from Williams lake and they said this was the spot 10 years ago. Went Medicine creek road. Explored all the way to Ashcroft and hat creek. Got to know the area better at least.

was a great weekend to get away though. Cabin on turnip lake got a make over, cleaned up a lot of under brush that needed to be done. Beautiful area up there can’t complain.
    there is sooo much great hunting surrounding your cabin. I can’t for the life of me imagine how anyone could not get a deer in that area. They must be sticking to the lower roads from the comfort of their truck.

botani mtn to your south is a great spot. The peak and ridge directly to your north is great.

the U shaped ridge line that runs from the old trapper cabin on laluwisson last thebtadio tower, over Murray peak to Murray creek is insane. It’s dense and protected inside the basin in the U, they go back and fourth over the ridge to the exposed areas on the outside of the U to feed.

get up there and you’ll see trails worn to the dirt through 2ft of snow criss crossing over the ridge.

Granted I was exploring the area in my truck to get away from other people. I did get out and hike up a peak each day seeing no tracks. That’s just me, I’m no expert hunter. I took my time and hiked up in certain areas way off the road. Bumped into two great fellas from Williams lake and they said the same. But also a week or two prior there was a big dump of snow and Really cold temps, when we where up it still snowed but was way warmer out.

not complaining though! Anytime out is a great time! Definitely know areas now where I want to get to know better.