Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single-layer rain pants or rain pants over normal pants?

Re: Single-layer rain pants or rain pants over normal pants?

Gaiters I wear often, not just for snow, so the under lining of my pants don't get soaked thru when hunting on those frosty mornings which always warm up, and all the tall grass etc becomes wet.
    Although I wear Goretex gear, I have a packable pair of pants and jacket from browning which I can throw on in a
    down pour, or if the wind gets up before night to cut down on the chill factor if sitting in wait.
    There only Prevent version, and if you hike a lot, they don't breath well, leaving you feeling wet.
    Would recommend a goretex version, packable (think cabela's?)
    I like having them in my bag, don't take much space at all, super light weight, but nice to have when it really dumps.
    I end up using them a lot, so they were worth the investment.
    They are delicate to some degree when walking over windfall, so be careful.
    Good old duct tape for repairs!

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Good old duct tape for repairs!
    there are iron-on goretex patches, that come in a roll, work really well. Even just the nylon ones work fantastic for more permanent repairs to outdoor gear. Walmart's sewing and crafts section has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    there are iron-on goretex patches, that come in a roll, work really well. Even just the nylon ones work fantastic for more permanent repairs to outdoor gear. Walmart's sewing and crafts section has them.
    Thanks, will look into, appreciated.

I like my HH imperfech bibs more then my kuiu rain pants.

If your hiking up the mountain just wear your merino wool long johns under the rain pants and get hiking. If you get cold add a layer.

Impertech here as well...

I would definitely have a pretty hard time paying full price for any of the under armour hunting gear...some winners locations carry it at certain times of the year though and my girlfriend always likes to check just in case, I swear she has more hunting gear than me and she's only been out once lol. She found some pants for me a while back from their storm series at like 70% off retail price, fairly breathable, 60g of insulation, extra (I think 80g) in the butt, padding in the knees and so far they've been totally waterproof, blood rinses right off. Might run a touch warm the first week of September but I still wore them Aug-Nov this year, just wore long johns like you said in the later season. I know some people don't like their stuff and I haven't tried much else from UA but after my experience so far with these I might actually consider paying full price, would still cringe though...I also haven't been caught in any downpours, probably lots of similar options out there as well. Gaiters are up there on my shopping list, any recommendations from the guys that mentioned them?
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Heli Hansen rain gear
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Boot chaps work great to prevent wet boots n pants. $14-18 on Amazon.ca

Boot chaps/gaters work great to prevent wet boots n pants. $14-18 on Amazon.ca
    Good breathable underwear like arcteryx or Rocky from Bellingham Walmart beneath Gert's Columbia rain pants n ur set!

Thanks a lot for all the replies.
    More than enough info for me to make a decision about pants.