Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single-layer rain pants or rain pants over normal pants?

Single-layer rain pants or rain pants over normal pants?

I'm trying to decide if I'm better off getting a pair of rain-proof/resistant pants that go right over my longjohns, or a pair of rain-pants that you put on over your normal hunting pants when its wet.

Hunting in the Kootenay area, October-end of season theres enough dew/snow built up on vegetation that 10 minutes after walking the bush the water is running down into your boots.

I'd prefer the simplicity of rain proof main pants, but are they going to be too hot/non-breathable if you get some warm late fall weather?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Single-layer rain pants or rain pants over normal pants?

I know just what you mean. Got soaked one beautiful clear morning front dew transiting slides while heading up the mountain for a goat. I now carry a pair of HH impertech pants in my pack. No they don't breath but I have never been soaked in them. They weigh next to nothing and I've even taken my hunting pants off and worn them next to skin when I was hiking very steep wet terrain. Used them on numerous trips since and love them

Pemby_mess Guest

I typically wear summer weight, or winter weight "softshell" pants; which are basically a shoeller nylon weave type fabric, and coated in a DWR. The do it all pants have a very light fleece lining. They're quiet, highly water resistant, breathe really well, and dry in minutes when they do get wetted out. I'll only wear long johns if temps are expected to be sustained below -15C. I'll carry 2 ply "packlight" goretex rain pants for when it's really wet, but rarely do I end up putting them on. The softshell pants alone take me through 90% of mountain conditions. The 2 ply rainpants are so rarely used, that it's important they take up little room, and roll up to about the size of my fist.

A good set of gaiters goes a long way in the conditions you describe. I like my rain pants ok but I feel like I have more mobility and breathability with my regular hunting pants and a set of gaiters.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Wool military pants if you can find them.

Nylon DWR hiking pants as mentioned above with a pair of gaitors are a killer combination in the early to mid season.

If its raining a lot there are some nice gore tex pants out there. Cabelas sells a pair of Gore tex light weight rain pants and when on sale, is nicely priced.

personally, I never bring rain pants hunting because of the noise.

I tried cabelas packlight rain gear. It was water resistant at best.
    I use light long johns, light pants (trying first light obsidian this season), and if its typical south island weather (pissing rain), I wear green Dakota bibs. If it's raining hard enough to need them, the noise won't be an issue. I also wear gaiters UNDER them, and cinch the cuffs up tight. Like that, I can cross over knee deep creeks and my legs and feet stay dry.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    I typically wear summer weight, or winter weight "softshell" pants; which are basically a shoeller nylon weave type fabric, and coated in a DWR. The do it all pants have a very light fleece lining. They're quiet, highly water resistant, breathe really well, and dry in minutes when they do get wetted out. I'll only wear long johns if temps are expected to be sustained below -15C. I'll carry 2 ply "packlight" goretex rain pants for when it's really wet, but rarely do I end up putting them on. The softshell pants alone take me through 90% of mountain conditions. The 2 ply rainpants are so rarely used, that it's important they take up little room, and roll up to about the size of my fist.
    Do you have a link to them ? Thanks
    Arctic Lake

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Do you have a link to them ? Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    i've got a whole bunch of different ones. All the brands have followed them by this point, but my go-to brand is still arcteryx.

Sphinx LEAF pants are awesome, and along with the gamma SK are two of my favourite all purpose mountain pants. When i't's warmer, i'll use my gamma mx. The sphinx and gamma SK have a super tight weave, and while not waterproof per-se, highly resistant to wetting out, and very rarely do i have to pull out the goretex. They're also just as breathable as my favorite jeans. Not uncomfortable even in the heat. The goretex pants that are always in my pack are a pair xl beta SL that slip on over the softshell. They're really light duty "paclite" 2 ply goretex. They have rips and patches all over but till keep out heavy precip or the moisture saturated bush. I'll also throw them on if I'll be sitting on wet ground for a while.

The arcteryx stuff like above is great.

I wear a soft shell DWR pant and keep some light packable rain pants in the pack if its raining or dewy.

Gaiters are also nice in that situation

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    i've got a whole bunch of different ones. All the brands have followed them by this point, but my go-to brand is still arcteryx.

Sphinx LEAF pants are awesome, and along with the gamma SK are two of my favourite all purpose mountain pants. When i't's warmer, i'll use my gamma mx. The sphinx and gamma SK have a super tight weave, and while not waterproof per-se, highly resistant to wetting out, and very rarely do i have to pull out the goretex. They're also just as breathable as my favorite jeans. Not uncomfortable even in the heat. The goretex pants that are always in my pack are a pair xl beta SL that slip on over the softshell. They're really light duty "paclite" 2 ply goretex. They have rips and patches all over but till keep out heavy precip or the moisture saturated bush. I'll also throw them on if I'll be sitting on wet ground for a while.
    Thank you !
    Arctic Lake