Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight in a beaver

Re: Weight in a beaver

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    <- This.

Loading an airplane has so many factors that go into it. Aircraft base weight varies from model and how it is setup, how heavy is the pilot, the required amount of fuel for the trip plus contingencies, temperature, departure elevation, air density, lake or strip length and pilot experience all come into play. Once you know where you are going and what you want to bring back the company can recommend an aircraft size. Maybe one trip in a beaver vs 2 trips with a C185, and plan to be under the weight recommended. Better to bring less stuff as you might be leaving it at the dock or paying for an extra flight to haul it out $$$.
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    This exactly. Lot's of variables, err on the light side to avoid surprises and/or disappointments.

1big load and go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Title of the thread made me chuckle
    Hmm ! for What Reason ? RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Hmm ! for What Reason ? RJ
    I guess i was thinking that i have had a wide range of weights when it comes to beavers
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

The turbo beaver is a beast, been in it for take-off with next to no freeboard left. At Sea-level though. IIRC pilots have told me 1500# for the regular beaver and 2400# for the turbine model, again at sea level.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

You'll hear different numbers... remember the pilot and fuel weighs something too. 1100 pounds is a good ballpark for what you and your gear can weigh. Distance of flight (fuel in board), altitude, and length of lake will all change what the aircraft and pilot can accommodate.

Pemby_mess Guest

Keep in mind that gross payload is different than net-payload. A full tank of fuel will weigh close to 1000 ibs right there. So a long flight is going to have less capacity than a short one. Some operators will make modifications to their planes specifically to increase net-payload, and the specific configuration effects things of course. Most Beavers have floats, but wheeled beavers will have higher capacities, and the type of floats can make a difference too. As mentioned, the Beavers with turbine conversions are becoming more common, and can easily double or triple net-payload.