Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bushpilot's 2018 Mountain Goat Hunt

Hybrid View

Bushpilot's 2018 Mountain Goat Hunt

Considering that things are a little slow around here this time of the year, except for the armchair warriors arguing over the littlest things. I am going to post a write up of my first goat hunt this year for others to enjoy. May need the help of some other members in posting pictures as I have trouble getting the sizing on this site. Anyways here we go.

Relocating to B.C from Alberta in 2015, I have always wanted to pursue backpack style hunts for sheep and goats since I was a youth. Sitting the first fall on the sidelines while my residency requirements were completed, I was chomping at the bit. The next fall I had to opportunity to harvest a few animals but I learned a lot of lessons about hunting in the mountains, whether it be tactics or gear. In 2017 I was presented with a unique opportunity....
    Last edited by bushpilot; 02-06-2019 at 09:52 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bushpilot's 2018 Mountain Goat Hunt

“So I founda way in…. But you are not going to like it.” Levi’s voice echoed through thephone. We had met at a 3D shoot in the spring of 2017, and once I found out hehad drawn a LEH permit for mountain goat I had offered to help with the hunt. However,a hot dry summer had produced a record wildfire season, backcountry closuresand restricted access to his unit left us with only one access route. This resulted in a “quick” trip that had us hiking a grueling 43km in 36 hours, only to yield one grouse and being pushed out of the high-country by a blizzard,without even the opportunity to hunt our intended quarry. So was my first taste of mountain goat hunting.

Fast forward 9 months I was sitting in a hotel room in Quebec waiting for my next mission, logging onto my account to see if drew any LEH this year; “SUCCESSFUL” stoodout in bold green letters beside my first-choice mountain goat application. Memories of the physical endeavour that took place last year made me wonder ifI had the ability to get it done, I started training immediately. The summer passed quickly with daily training, gear upgrades, hunt planning and research of the hunt to come. I was driven to give this hunt all the effort I could.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goat 2017 12.JPG 
Views:	1684 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	7301  
    Last edited by bushpilot; 02-06-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Good story so far, looking forward to the outcome of your LEH hunt

(This is going to get a lot better if I can just figure out how to compress the photos small enough, it keeps rejecting them saying they are "too large," must be nice )

With a bellyfull of thanksgiving dinner, I made the drive to Levi’s house where we weregoing to depart for the unit of my hunt. I spent most of the night staring atthe ceiling, wondering if I had prepared myself enough for this hunt. Sincesleep was fruitless, we drove for several hours in the dark arriving at thetrailhead in good time, one final check of our gear and we were ready. Withloaded packs we set off from the trailhead on our bikes, headlamps illuminatingthe way as we peddled through the darkness.

The morning light was breaking as made the 10 km to our first glassing spot. Snow covered mountains rose up in grandeur all around us, resembling the white fangs of some beast that was about to devour its meal. We cooked breakfast while glassing the surrounding mountains for goats. “I think I see a goat, want to get out thespotting scope?” Levi called. Swapping the binos to the spotting scope on thetripod, the magnified image produced a group of nannies and kids on a cliffband several kilometers away. I feasted my eyes on the group, having only seen mountain goats a few times in the wild it was a different feeling to watch them with the intent of claiming one. Like sentinels of another world they stand on top of their fortress of stone and ice, watching the struggle of life and death of the creatures below. To live in such an inhospitable place is probably my biggest attraction to pursue these animals.

Something big splashed in the creek barely 30 yards behind us, quickly grabbing my rifle I whirled around, expecting a grizzly to come over the bank. However, a bull moose came trotting out to stare at us only a stonethrow away. Once he realized what we were he turned and took off into the willows further down the creek. Returning our optics, weturned up three different groups of goats, only one which we were certain helda billy. As we ate breakfast and discussed plans, a cow elk chirped 3 times upthe valley. Looking at each other we agreed that is sounded like another hunter, onceagain three chirps rang out this time a little closer. Soon a man clad in camoon a pedal bike came down the road and stopped to say high. We chatted awhile finding out he was the local trapper, “there are some real pisscutters up here!!” his gruff voice exclaimed he told us stories of hunting goats in this valley in theyears past. As we talked, I noticed a peculiar white spot on the mountain face closest to us, returning to the spotting scope revealed it as billy of good size. Saying goodbye to our new acquaintance we shouldered packs, mounted ourbikes and proceeded to the base of the mountain. Stashing our gear, we watched the billy bed on a cliff face along with a nanny and kid.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05YOL3Bt.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	7302  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bushpilot; 02-06-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Good story so far but pictures are to small.

I liked the 43 kms in 36 hours from the 2017 hunt . . . reminds me of sheep hunting! What you lack in experience you make up for in other areas. Keep going . . .
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Great story so far!
    "There'll be no quitters, till we bag some critters"
    WSSBC - RMGA - BHA - CCFR

Just got from the gym so lets see if I can keep this going. Like I said earlier if someone else has any advice on uploading pictures I could use some. After 454minutes of trying everything from compressed file to imgur I am stumped, maybe one of the mods can help out. Anyways back to the story.

Climbing hard and fast up the mountain, we ascended a chute to get to the same level as the goats. The terrain steepened into ice covered cliffs, forcing me to abandon my pack, climbing with both my hands and feet with my rifle slung over my back. Fractured rock covered in snow and ice made for treacherous going, handand foot holds frequently gave out to send rocks careening down the mountain. A stark reminder of what would happen us lest we slipped. Reaching a point about 150 meters from the goats but still out of sight we found ourselves overcome by the terrain, the clattering of hooves against rocks signaled they were close but still unreachable. I recall having my back pressed against the cliff, only my heels gripping bare rock wondering if the recoil of my rifle would be enough to dislodge my marginal grip, gravity pulling me into maw of jagged rocks that lay below. Defeated we retreated down the mountain glad to be out of that precarious situation, a little unsettled I commented to Levi “Man we sure are playing for keeps with these animals.”

As darkness descended and we prepared camp and glassed further up the valley, a new band of eight appeared. Although higher than the rest we had discovered, an exceptionally large billy stood out, bigger than any other we had seen thus far, assuring us of what direction to head tomorrow

Last edited by bushpilot; 02-06-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Great start bush pilot
    keep it coming