Wow some great responses from some of this sites heavy hitters, it's much appreciated. I originally typed this story with intent of having it published in a magazine but I think this is a better sharing platform as it generates feedback and discussion after the fact. Also I felt like after enjoying so many stories over the years that it is time for me to start giving back, even though I admit I am a very mediocre hunter HA!

This leads me to a point I have had on the tip of my tongue for long time. Hunting is not a sport, a hobby or even a lifestyle; it is older than the time humans first became self aware of their own existence. Therefore it is a defining part of humanity and you should embrace it as much, better yet you should SHARE it with those have lost touch with it.

Every hunt has a tale of adventure and lessons learned from the natural world regardless of the outcome, yet many hold back from fear of being criticized by a faceless stranger on their method, weapon or quarry of choice. To hide in the shadows and continue along this path will be the end of hunting, because few will understand what we do and why, and we will cease to matter. So share your stories, whether on here, at work, in a public place etc..., invite a non-hunter to join you, be tasteful and message driven on social media, the time has come to give back to humanity the gift of hunting.

I AM A HUNTER! and I seek out animals to kill them, using their life force to provide sustenance for myself and my family. However it is the interaction with the natural world and the lessons that mother nature has to teach me that replenishes my soul and drives me to these pursuits. So I will protect hunting not as my right as an individual but as it is my identity.