Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: CWD Update

Pemby_mess Guest

Re: CWD Update

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    A cure might just be around the corner...

Not sure if this link will work?
    You might have to belong to FB

https://www.facebook.com/49762444026...325139?sfns=mo
    wow, that sounds like it could be potentially very good news.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    thanks Bugle for the link to the alternate theory on the cause of CWD....it also made me think of the two researchers on H pylori down under and how even to this day on some scientific issues "99% consensus" can still turn out to be 99% wrong...
    prion diseases have never been very well understood. Certainly no evidence based concensus on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    prion diseases have never been very well understood. Certainly no evidence based concensus on the matter.
    Possibly because now they might be considering it is only a "marker".
    At least for CWD.

Pemby_mess Guest

Well in that press release, there was a suggestion that other prions such as scrapie, and maybe even things like ALS were symptoms of the same bacteria. It never really made sense to me that a pathogen can form and multiply without any DNA or RNA; so it's not a surprise to me that it is a result of bacterium.

We have been dealing with this Issue of CWD for many years in Alberta . Thank Goodness there is a testing program offered to us here , even if it takes months to get results . I have noticed a pile of posts and social media posts about all the positive's this year especially in Mule Deer. Steves Deer for example looked very healthy but carrying the disease, even the organs looked fine. I submitted my head this year even though it was a Non Mandatory testing area but i don't want to take any chances on it. I think the more that get submitted from the Non Mandatory areas is better so we can get more of a real grasp how far west it has spread.

The was something in the posts a few pages back about Saskatchewan having less reported CWD reports. My Take on it is because there is no longer any mandatory testing in Saskatchewan.
    SSS put up a post from FB about a Possible cure in the future and i got real excited about that until i talked to a Biologist in a Hot CWD zone that says the video is older and its been a long time they have been working on this cure so nothing for sure on it.
    One can only hope though.....
    Were all in this together whether were from the same province or not and we need to work together on submitting for testing. The ones Chucking Shit at each other on this post sure don't help the cause..
    No matter how many times it is said to stick together as hunters it keeps happening..Wish there was a cure for it as well, and there could be, but its up to those negative ones to keep the negative comments to themselves.
    theres tons of facts about CWD on the Web if you want to take the time to research it. Alberta hunting regs has a lot of info as well.

I have said it before and i will say it again. There should be more accessible dumpsters or whatever supplied to Hunters in Alberta to dispose of brain stem and vertebrae and bones because you see way to many carcasses chucked in ditches and field edges when hunters travel from Hot CWD zones into other areas of Alberta.

Thanks for the info Phil.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Wonder how RobU's article is coming along and where it will be published?

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    https://www.outdoornews.com/2018/12/...sease-in-deer/

i was referring to the statement in the linked story about 1/4 way down ...

Today, 99 percent of scientists believe prions cause CWD. That’s why we haven’t heard about the alternate theory until now. And maybe they are right, I can’t say. But you should know that there is another school of thought about what causes chronic wasting disease in deer.

I was also referring the stomach ulcer researchers from Australia (and i am sure you are familiar with that story as well) where they were fighting the 99% consensus. probably more than 99 as we all learned in school that stomach ulcers were from stress -certainly not bacteria!...

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    https://www.outdoornews.com/2018/12/...sease-in-deer/

i was referring to the statement in the linked story about 1/4 way down ...

Today, 99 percent of scientists believe prions cause CWD. That’s why we haven’t heard about the alternate theory until now. And maybe they are right, I can’t say. But you should know that there is another school of thought about what causes chronic wasting disease in deer.

I was also referring the stomach ulcer researchers from Australia (and i am sure you are familiar with that story as well) where they were fighting the 99% consensus. probably more than 99 as we all learned in school that stomach ulcers were from stress -certainly not bacteria!...
    I see what you're saying, I do. But with the example in ulcers, stress is likely still a corellary factor; and does still offer some explanatory importance; with or without the revised theory of h.pylori infection. Stress was at one time the best explanation for that particular phenomenon. There were questions that couldn't be explained by the dominate concensus or theory, that lead to further investigation, and ultimately toward a more useful explanatory mechanism.

Same with CWD. The latest addition to the theory makes a lot of sense, even under the assumption of CWD being a prion disease. In fact it seems like with more research, the entire way of looking at prions may have to be revised. That doesn't mean the "consensus" is wrong; it just means its incomplete, which any fully briefed Doctor or scientist would be most likely quite comfortable in explaining. They would all admit to there being far more unanswered scientific questions around the nature of prions as pathogens, than there are answers.

Research the into cause and effect of micro-organisms in our bodies and surrounding environments is still very young. It's a field full of modern discovery, that will throw a whole lot of conventional wisdom out the window.
    Last edited by Pemby_mess; 02-26-2019 at 09:29 AM.

More news

"It is possible to eradicate chronic wasting disease — at least on some levels — in white-tailed deer. Bacteria, not prions, are present in all transmissible spongiform encephalopathy diseases. And, perhaps most shocking, up to 15 percent of all Alzheimer’s disease deaths might be misclassified cases of Creutzfeld-Jakob disease. Those are three bold statements made recently by disease researcher Dr. Frank O. Bastian, and he is standing by them.

The view that chronic wasting disease is not caused by a prion but by a spiroplasma bacterium has disrupted the deer world in recent weeks, but that doesn’t mean minds are ready to change.
    For decades, research into the prion theory — that TSE diseases are caused by a “misfolded protein” — has been heavily funded, but has shown little results in terms of a cure or even the mitigation of CWD.

Enter Dr. Bastian. The researcher most known for his work at the Louisiana State University Ag Center has been conducting research on a different track. He sees evidence that a bacterium is the culprit, and the prion is only a marker. In fact, he says the Spiroplasma bacteria is present in every case of a TSE disease, but the prion is not."

deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/deer-news/bacteria-and-cwd-cure-dr-bastian-speaks
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole