Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: CWD Update

Re: CWD Update

Just got the news that my wife's AB mulie tested positive from last fall.

I was pleasantly surprised that the AB govt had passed the info along to BC to follow up and assist with disposal. I'm sure there are a heck of a lot of guys who would just take everything and dump it in the bush, so good to see they are trying to get ahead of that and assist in making sure people take the right steps.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    I like how we call for science based management..... except when it goes against something we like to do.

Are we really that self interested that we would risk a likely transmission portal and quicker spread of CWD, to throw everything we have against the banning of baiting.

They are all morons down in the states, no clue clue how to manage whitetail, state agencies banning baiting to help stop the spread of CWD are all idiots compared the scientific knowledge I possess.

And yes there is evidence of baiting and CWD
    Of course it would stand to reason congregation at a bait site can spread cwd plus a mountain of other environments. Those who ask for science to prove baiting transmits cwd are clinging to weak ideals. I say where is there a scientist (biologists) willing to sign their name claiming baiting does not provide an environment suitable for these prions (from saliva) to exist and be passed along to others using the bait site?

Interesting. You just received results now? Your meat now gone? I’m curious as to the events between kill date, testing date and results date. Seems a very long time for you to wait. Were you given information in Alberta on what to do during this length of time?

Global news thread this morning.
    Zombie deer disease!! Wow. Sensational title. Overkill maybe but an attention getter.
    2 provinces and 24 states. This should be an interesting ride.

Instead of thinking of ways to not congregate the deer, how bout using the congregating to our advantage....here is a twist on baiting....if salt is mixed into the soil instead of as a big block (like hunters would), then there is a good chance that the animals will have to eat some soil with it.....they get some humic acid with the soil they lick up and potentially the humic acid cures them of CWD. peeps placing bait could even get jugs of humic acid from the organic grow stores and now claim they are actually helping deer with CWD.....baiting could actually be beneficial
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 02-17-2019 at 11:22 AM.

http://www.x-humate.com/sale-1044464...BoCqWkQAvD_BwE

according to this link it can be bought in bulk powder for $100-400 a ton from china

Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 02-17-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    Instead of thinking of ways to not congregate the deer, how bout using the congregating to our advantage....here is a twist on baiting....if salt is mixed into the soil instead of as a big block (like hunters would), then there is a good chance that the animals will have to eat some soil with it.....they get some humic acid with the soil they lick up and potentially the humic acid cures them of CWD. peeps placing bait could even get jugs of humic acid from the organic grow stores and now claim they are actually helping deer with CWD.....baiting could actually be beneficial
    Once there is a proven cure this could be an option but humic acid is not a cure for CWD

Now putting effort into generating funds to be donated to research for a cure for CWD so your theory could be put into place hopefully before it reaches BC might be a better path the arguments over baiting

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Once there is a proven cure this could be an option but humic acid is not a cure for CWD

Now putting effort into generating funds to be donated to research for a cure for CWD so your theory could be put into place hopefully before it reaches BC might be a better path the arguments over baiting
    do you have a link to any recent research showing humic acid does not help? all i have seen so far is early "potential" for it and evidence it can destroy the prions in dirt and in brain tissue....seems good so far right!!I have not seen anything conclusive either way on a cure but if it can destroy the prions (very tough little molecules) it would be the first step to a cure...very concerning stuff to us hunters..

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    do you have a link to any recent research showing humic acid does not help? all i have seen so far is early "potential" for it and evidence it can destroy the prions in dirt and in brain tissue....seems good so far right!!I have not seen anything conclusive either way on a cure but if it can destroy the prions (very tough little molecules) it would be the first step to a cure...very concerning stuff to us hunters..
    There is conflicting opinions if CWD is a bacterial strain or prion based I don’t do links so sorry you will have to google it.

Right now yes there is a theory based on humic acid but it’s far from proven. Now if you were suggesting applying your theory of combining humic acid to bait sites in Saskatchewan to see if it had an impact on CWD I would say it’s a worth plan. Even suggesting ways to generate funds to apply and study the results of that theory in an area infected with CWD I would agree

Applying humic acid to bait sites in BC to prevent CWD is not going to hurt but basically you are applying something that might work in an area a long ways away from any confirmed case of CWD. BC needs to focus on preventing CWD from reaching BC because it really does not matter if baiting helps CWD spread because bait bans don’t stop the spread.

I am no expert on CWD and still learning but everything points to If BC hunters are worried about CWD it’s a matter of finding out how solve CWD before it reaches here.