Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 149

Thread: CWD Update

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Port Alberni
    Posts
    6,031

    Arrow Re: CWD Update

    Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    I just found out that another big cull will happen in Alberta this year...
    Really? A few queries with a handful of my old colleagues back there strongly suggest this is bull-pucky.

    Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    When I heard the story, I started looking into the CWD process on when it gets this bad. Seems to add up, I guess all we can do is watch.
    "Heard the story" OR Made it up?

    Given the extreme backlash that occurred after their last cull fiasco, I would be downright amazed were they to try that on again.
    I am not at all surprised however at their current Modus Operandii of simply issuing massive amounts of tags (and notably doe tags) in effected areas. Substantially more in some areas than ever seen before. That action is causing several outfitters I know to pull the plug - they see the writing on the wall, and understand the gov's focus on driving deer populations in those area right into the dirt. In a round-about way, a cull of sorts. Only being performed by licensed hunters, not government staff.

    As many have noted here before, there is zero evidence suggesting any correlation between baiting and the spread of CWD.

    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

    Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

    Guess he got to Know me

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    394

    Re: CWD Update

    Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    There is nothing what so ever proving bait piles are any more likely than natural food sources, watering holes, or agricultural fields etc, to spread CWD. Bownut is just an anti trying to push his own views across on everyone else in order to convince everyone we need to ban yet 1 more thing, that may or may not have any real affect on transmission. Hence about 6 anti-baiting threads etc he's started now. As I've stated in other threads by him, bait stands in BC don't work the way he thinks in his little head (10s or 100s of deer don't come a running from miles around, the deer that are already there won't even go out of there way by 50 yards) and the few people who do it aren't contributing squat compared to all the other "attractions" out there. My guess would be less than 1% compared to natural sources of food/water, planted alf-alfa or hay fields, salt licks for cattle, etc. This is also reflected by the fact that several provinces/states have had bait bans for a long time and yet CWD is still spreading in all of them.
    A anti with a wall of horns, how does that works?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,024

    Re: CWD Update

    I like how we call for science based management..... except when it goes against something we like to do.

    Are we really that self interested that we would risk a likely transmission portal and quicker spread of CWD, to throw everything we have against the banning of baiting.

    They are all morons down in the states, no clue clue how to manage whitetail, state agencies banning baiting to help stop the spread of CWD are all idiots compared the scientific knowledge I possess.

    And yes there is evidence of baiting and CWD

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,404

    Re: CWD Update

    Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    A anti with a wall of horns, how does that works?
    Unless they're all sheep .......they are called antlers.


    I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright


    "Statistics are like women; mirrors of purest virtue and truth, or like whores to use as one pleases". ~Theodor Billroth

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,095

    Re: CWD Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Unless they're all sheep .......they are called antlers.
    Mountain Goats have horns

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,443

    Re: CWD Update

    Having a WT Roast tonight for dinner......shot from my blind, bait was down the lane at 85 yards......after 8 straight days of sitting dark to dark , never leaving, took a spike out, after turning down the countless parade of deer after deer after deer....huge bucks too....oh forgot to mention bucky was shot at 35 yards.....not near the bait on last day of rifle season. Also, this eater buck was never filmed at this spot for 8 days......ya its a real killer.
    BC's Wildlife belongs to BC Residents .......

    BC WILDLIFE is not for corporate greed to benefit Foreighn Owned GOs.

    POACHERS are not HUNTERS as the media posts.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    280

    Re: CWD Update

    Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    There is nothing what so ever proving bait piles are any more likely than natural food sources, watering holes, or agricultural fields etc, to spread CWD. Bownut is just an anti trying to push his own views across on everyone else in order to convince everyone we need to ban yet 1 more thing, that may or may not have any real affect on transmission. Hence about 6 anti-baiting threads etc he's started now. As I've stated in other threads by him, bait stands in BC don't work the way he thinks in his little head (10s or 100s of deer don't come a running from miles around, the deer that are already there won't even go out of there way by 50 yards) and the few people who do it aren't contributing squat compared to all the other "attractions" out there. My guess would be less than 1% compared to natural sources of food/water, planted alf-alfa or hay fields, salt licks for cattle, etc. This is also reflected by the fact that several provinces/states have had bait bans for a long time and yet CWD is still spreading in all of them.
    Some "elitist's" can't stand to see others having success on quality animals by a method they don't use. Pretty much what's happening here. Bownut isn't having success like he used to and refuses to adapt. Meanwhile, other hunters have dug into the playbook and are seeing positive results.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hope
    Posts
    11,857

    Re: CWD Update

    Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Some "elitist's" can't stand to see others having success on quality animals by a method they don't use. Pretty much what's happening here. Bownut isn't having success like he used to and refuses to adapt. Meanwhile, other hunters have dug into the playbook and are seeing positive results.
    AFAIC "hunters" that only support other hunters if they fit into their specific tunnel vision of exactly how things should be done are probably more damaging to hunting than antis are. Antis rant and rail and always will but they're not very effective and the average citizen sees right through them. Hunters calling to close all kinds of hunting techniques that don't fit exactly in to their own practices is potentially a more damaging situation. Either way I don't have any time for either group.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,871

    Re: CWD Update

    how many threads do we need to talk the same BS. How about people just agree to disagree and move the F' on.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    280

    Re: CWD Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    AFAIC "hunters" that only support other hunters if they fit into their specific tunnel vision of exactly how things should be done are probably more damaging to hunting than antis are. Antis rant and rail and always will but they're not very effective and the average citizen sees right through them. Hunters calling to close all kinds of hunting techniques that don't fit exactly in to their own practices is potentially a more damaging situation. Either way I don't have any time for either group.
    Bingo. Couldn't agree more.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •