Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with a SG pack want to try a Kifaru?

Anyone with a SG pack want to try a Kifaru?

Kinda curious about the Stone glacier xcurve frame, I have a kifaru light duplex with medium belt and muskeg 7000 bag. I’d be interested in trading for a day and seeing which fits better. Located in the lower mainland. If there are any other gear nerds out there with a medium xcurve lemme know.
    Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone with a SG pack want to try a Kifaru?

i would be 100% interested but im in pg. have the sky talus 6900. but can answer any questions on it if you have some.

I think we can help each other out here...I’m in PG as well and I’ve got the Kifaru Crater and am interested in getting my hands on a SG...

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Stones View Post
    I think we can help each other out here...I’m in PG as well and I’ve got the Kifaru Crater and am interested in getting my hands on a SG...
    hey yea that would be wickid id love to try it out. ill be back in pg around march 14th. the stone glacier is a awesome pack dont really have complaints other than the belt bothers my hips when im loaded super heavy.

Your downgrading going to the stone glacier. I thought i wanted to try one too until i hunted with a buddy that had one, the frame barrels badly when full to the nuts and there isn't much room in them. You have the best of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    Your downgrading going to the stone glacier. I thought i wanted to try one too until i hunted with a buddy that had one, the frame barrels badly when full to the nuts and there isn't much room in them. You have the best of the best.
    what size does he have? my talus 6900 is just fine for 10 day hunts. i will say though the frame does barrel quite a bit. with a complete goat boned in minus the head and all my gear. it barrelled when i took the pack off but it wasnt noticable or uncomfortable by any means when wearing it. pack weighted 122lbs. ive also packed out a elk with it as well. but yea kifaru bags are pretty much top pack but they also build there packs to be a undestrutable hauling machine where as stone glacier is completely miminalist light weight. 60lbs in the bag though it handles great and is comfy and doesnt barrel. i just cant get the belt comfy for myself but thats probably due to not having meat on my bones lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by madcalfe View Post
    what size does he have? my talus 6900 is just fine for 10 day hunts. i will say though the frame does barrel quite a bit. with a complete goat boned in minus the head and all my gear. it barrelled when i took the pack off but it wasnt noticable or uncomfortable by any means when wearing it. pack weighted 122lbs. ive also packed out a elk with it as well. but yea kifaru bags are pretty much top pack but they also build there packs to be a undestrutable hauling machine where as stone glacier is completely miminalist light weight. 60lbs in the bag though it handles great and is comfy and doesnt barrel. i just cant get the belt comfy for myself but thats probably due to not having meat on my bones lmao.
    If you are interested in light weights don't be afraid to try a Seek Outside pack if you can get your hands on one. I picked up an SO Brooks last year and love it so far. Lighter than my Kifaru DT2 and carries more comfortably. I wasn't fortunate enough to pack out with the SO last year, so it remains untested with a really large load. Downside of the Brooks is a lack of organization if you're looking for lots of pockets etc.

I kifaru hunter frame i had barreled much more than the stone glacier xcurve i own now. It barreled so much i had a horizontal cross brace sewn into the frame. Their belts are the best though, their bags...need some design tweaks in my opinion

I sold my Kifaru set up and bought an xcurve with two bags and most accessories they make for the same price. Hopefully I haven’t made a big mistake.... I’ll add my two cents after it gets here and I’ve had some hikes with it.

Madcalfe is pretty accurate to my experience with the xcurve sky talus. I had it stuff full with camp and a boned out sheep and it will barrel a lot when it is sitting on the ground. Once its on, I do not feel any barrelling against my back. I do also have a kifaru and I will say the belt is better but their bags are too big and floppy even when comparing similiar 7000ci bags. I'm sticking with SG this year.