Thread: sheep hunting pack

sheep hunting pack

Looking for info on dog hunting packs. Info on what you use and if you like it or not or anything you would recommend.
    Id like to get my dog a pack for a few hunting trips next season. Thanks.

ideally looking for info on a pack that you personally own or have tried. not something you saw of heard.

dog is a chessie, lab cross. aprox 70 lbs
    Last edited by 870; 02-03-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    "you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles

2. Site Sponsor

Re: sheep hunting pack

We've been looking at the Ruffwear packs for taking our pup into the backcountry. They aren't cheap. But we've heard lots of good reviews.

The Palisades Pack would be worth looking into for multi day trips!

saw a wilderness wanderer yesterday and it looked like a solid pack for a dog.
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

RuffWear "Palisades" ... my 75lb Draht carries it like a champ. Great piece of gear, well made ... easy off when crossing creeks.
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

My dog just finished her fourth season using the palisades pack made by ruffwear, I have nothing but good to say about it. The water bladder pockets help a lot to keep her cool on hot days, and has removable bags, a couple great features. It’s been on 3 sheep hunts and a goat hunt, and countless other day hikes, it has worked flawlessly, and is still going strong. Very highly recommended.

https://i.imgur.com/TO7IUru.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by zippermouth View Post
    saw a wilderness wanderer yesterday and it looked like a solid pack for a dog.
    I wish I could get a ww dog pack in my hands, I hear good things about them, but the harness looks a little, sloppy? And the bags are, huge. I’d have concern about the bags rubbing the backs of the front legs on a dog. Only my observation from photos Iv seen, I’d like to see one for myself one day.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    I wish I could get a ww dog pack in my hands, I hear good things about them, but the harness looks a little, sloppy? And the bags are, huge. I’d have concern about the bags rubbing the backs of the front legs on a dog. Only my observation from photos Iv seen, I’d like to see one for myself one day.
    I just got a ww pack awhile back, it is nice but I will say the buckle on the front strap should be stronger, my dog is a bit of a spaz and broke the buckle fairly early on. Not a huge deal to fix and probably wouldn’t be a problem with dogs that aren’t as stubborn. The rest is well made and works good for me. Also I would say you are correct with there being a bit of slop in the bags but seems not to be a problem.
    Last edited by Cabled; 02-05-2019 at 01:03 PM.

I have a wilderness wanderer, the one piece version, not with the removable bags...it works well enough, for a 70 lb lab I'd suggest the medium size, the large was too big for my 70lb male but fits the bigger 80lg female better

the removable bags with separate harness is the better system imo, easier to get gear on an off the dog...the bags could be improved with a couple compression straps to help stabilize the load

I think the ruffwear palisades is probably the nicest option and will hold more than enough weight that an average lab could safely pack

the wilderness wandered is the largest and could easily pack the most weight, if you had the dog to handle it

stay away from CE Canine Equipment packs, absolute junk, they looked good in the store but didn't last an hour on the dog...the buckles that hold the bags to the body harness aren't even stitched into the fabric, they simply have little feet on the buckles that hook into the fabric and rip out very easily with minimal weight

https://www.amazon.com/Canine-Equipm.../dp/B007FMY49E

on a side note, if you ever buy a box of tim hortons coffee, rip out the liner after the coffee is done...they roll up nice and small and are fairly durable, i use them to pack water in my dogs packs
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster