Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo Pack Outs for Large Games, Any Tips / Stories?

Solo Pack Outs for Large Games, Any Tips / Stories?

Planning a Solo Elk/Moose hunt this upcoming fall. One thing that has been bothering me is the potential pack out. I am just wondering if you guys have any tips and/or stories of packing out large game solo. What types of quality gear do I need to potentially upgrade on or bring, what is the best way to dress the animal, what should my time allocation be for the distance from the truck, etc and just any other tips you guys have!
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Solo Pack Outs for Large Games, Any Tips / Stories?

I would really look at the timing of the hunt and the potential weather conditions. It will play a major roll as to how fast you need to get your harvest out. Early solo hunts where you take a large animal down back 5 km plus is a struggle for sure. Not just dealing with heat, but mosquitoes and fly's as well. have a good pack frame, knowledge of deboning and meat care, and be prepared to do it over a couple days if needed. Have bags for the meat to go in and hang up before and after transporting and a way to keep it cool.... furthest I have gone with a moose is only 2.5 km. It was cold (+2 out) so I didn't have to rush. Also, good knees and a strong back are key!

Last fall on a fly in moose hunt with my dad, he shot a big old bull about 2km from the lake, the evening before fly out day. We knocked the guts out and returned in the morning.

Dad and the pilot and I took the 4 quarters off, then trimmed everything else off and into game bags. The plan was for dad and the pilot to ferry camp out that day, and I’d pack the moose to the lake and be the last one to fly out. After breaking the moose down, dad hauled a quarter and the pilot hauled a small backpack of meat back to the lake, and I hauled the rest. 6 trips it took me and my dog (would have been 7-8 without dad and the pilot’s loads) to get everything back to the lake including antlers attatched to the head still. It was a hell of a tough day a couple 120+Lb loads, but the thought of a full freezer overpowered the sore back and legs.

The best item I had to make it tolerable, was my Kifaru pack with the cargo panel and poles. Over the 6 trips, my dog hauled around 80 lbs of it also.

Id recommend the gutless method if your solo, and take a good size tarp to lay your quarters and meat on. My hike out was all moose meadow and a bit down hill, if it were bush and or uphill, I wouldn’t have got it out in one day.
    With the right mindset and experience, it’s easily possible to do solo.

Everyone has their personal limits so I can’t judge what you can do. If you’re worried about it train for it and you will increase what you are capable of and find your limits as well. Go for a hike with a wieghted pack and you will get an idea of what your willing to do

game bags, rope, pack, and good boots are a must. If you are unsure you will make it out that day break it down small into game bags. Pack out all you can that day and run the rest up a tree away from the gut pile/carcass. Come back the next morning and finish packing

Biggest thing watch where you hike into and it’s much easier to hike up hill empty

I really need to remember to take my own advice of the last line lol

A good pack, solid boots, trekking poles.... and knowing your personal limits.

Get in tip top physical shape, Good pack, boots. Debone.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

my recommendation would be not to do it solo lol....find a buddy to come with you even if he isnt a hunter...definitely do gutless method. good packs, it took 2 of us 3 trips, to pack a fully boned moose out 3 km from camp in relatively easy terrain. 12 hours from the time we pulled the trigger to when we hung the last game bag.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Keep an eye out for bears. If it takes a couple hours round trip between loads it gives plenty of time for a hungry animal to claim your kill. Approach slowly and scan the area each trip. Otherwise just cut it into manageable pieces and giver. I almost only solo hunt. It's way easier to take 3 light trips than 2 heavy ones.

Maybe get an Argo. I've got one for sale if you're interested
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by dakoda62 View Post
    Get in tip top physical shape, Good pack, boots. Debone.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^