Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Solo Pack Outs for Large Games, Any Tips / Stories?

Re: Solo Pack Outs for Large Games, Any Tips / Stories?

probably the best piece of advise, just because you can pack it doesnt mean you should. i would do more trips with lighter weight than fewer heavy loads. (i should learn to take my advise more seriously. ) moose are really big. they are a lot of work just to skin butcher and deal with solo. i killed a moose this year, it was slightly down hill all the way to the bull. about 1km maybe slightly further. needed to cut a trail the last 400 yards to the bull as it was a blowdown jungle. once the trail was in it took 8 trips out to get the bull out. it was right around 1-5 degrees so we had all the time in the world to get the bull out. i killed the bull at about 9am, my dad and i had the trail cut, moose packaged in sacking, and moved about 300 yards from the gutpile that day. this was in hopes if a grizzly came across the kill he would smell the gutpile and head there over the meat. the next day we started packing and finished up around noon. here is a breakdown of what we took. my dad is having hip issues so his packs were around 65 pounds, he did one trip at around 80lbs with a total of 4 to the quad. i did 4 trips as well, my loads were around 120-150lbs per trip. i didnt debone the hind quarters, but we de boned the fronts. i prefer to hang meat bone in and this was around 1km so a relatively easy pack in terms of backpack hunting that is why i left the bone in the hinds.
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

Quote Originally Posted by zippermouth View Post
    probably the best piece of advise, just because you can pack it doesnt mean you should. i would do more trips with lighter weight than fewer heavy loads. (i should learn to take my advise more seriously. ) moose are really big. they are a lot of work just to skin butcher and deal with solo. i killed a moose this year, it was slightly down hill all the way to the bull. about 1km maybe slightly further. needed to cut a trail the last 400 yards to the bull as it was a blowdown jungle. once the trail was in it took 8 trips out to get the bull out. it was right around 1-5 degrees so we had all the time in the world to get the bull out. i killed the bull at about 9am, my dad and i had the trail cut, moose packaged in sacking, and moved about 300 yards from the gutpile that day. this was in hopes if a grizzly came across the kill he would smell the gutpile and head there over the meat. the next day we started packing and finished up around noon. here is a breakdown of what we took. my dad is having hip issues so his packs were around 65 pounds, he did one trip at around 80lbs with a total of 4 to the quad. i did 4 trips as well, my loads were around 120-150lbs per trip. i didnt debone the hind quarters, but we de boned the fronts. i prefer to hang meat bone in and this was around 1km so a relatively easy pack in terms of backpack hunting that is why i left the bone in the hinds.
    When I hunt solo I almost always walk uphill from a road/trail/clearing & then zigzag my way back even when hunting deer. If you're in good shape carrying 100+ lbs is not that difficult-done it many times up to about 2 km. +

Good quality boots for full support are a must. Be extra careful when snowy, icy, slippery, large rocks, loose rocks, muddy, tree roots & steep areas. Take your time!

Carry a hatchet within easy reach to clear trail.

The only visitors I/we ever had while retrieving moose were whisky jacks usually feeding on the intestines.That is because we were armed & ready.

One time the moose was shot in the afternoon about 2 km. from camp. Had to come back the next day a few times.
    The wolves were howling in the night close by & there were fresh grizzly tracks by the road but the flagging circling the moose was untouched.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Hiking poles are the most important piece of kit for the mission you have described. They help prevent injury and will increase your endurance. You can use them as shooting sticks too.
    Good post! Got me thinking!(no I ain't a warmist)

Never used walking poles but after reading & watching videos would definitely consider getting a pair when hiking in the mountains or packing out game in difficult terrain.

The Trekking Pole Advantage
    http://hunt.kuiu.com/?p=576

No doubt a handy tool- JH uses an ice axe trekking pole.
    https://wwd.com/menswear-news/mens-s...u-collection-5

Poles used during sheep hunt-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wNVqJzlDaw

Ice Axe/Trekking pole- In steep country having an ice axe to catch you if you slip could save your life.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    When I hunt solo I almost always walk uphill from a road/trail/clearing & then zigzag my way back even when hunting deer. If you're in good shape carrying 100+ lbs is not that difficult-done it many times up to about 2 km. +

Good quality boots for full support are a must. Be extra careful when snowy, icy, slippery, large rocks, loose rocks, muddy, tree roots & steep areas. Take your time!

Carry a hatchet within easy reach to clear trail.

The only visitors I/we ever had while retrieving moose were whisky jacks usually feeding on the intestines.That is because we were armed & ready.

One time the moose was shot in the afternoon about 2 km. from camp. Had to come back the next day a few times.
    The wolves were howling in the night close by & there were fresh grizzly tracks by the road but the flagging circling the moose was untouched.
    Wait so you flag the remains if your forced to come back later/overnight to see if Grizzlies have moved into the area? That is a very very very good idea and something I have been somewhat worried about, I have read some very sad stories of people getting mauled when they find their animal the following day.