Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solo Pack Outs for Large Games, Any Tips / Stories?

Re: Solo Pack Outs for Large Games, Any Tips / Stories?

Bears, heat and injury are the potential problems. I figure 8 trips to haul out an entire large moose, it can be brutal with a team of guys let alone solo. If you can pull it off, you da man!

Seriously think about how far back you are and where the animal may end up before you pull the trigger. Hiking poles are a must and i usually have a game cart at the tree line. Hang your meat high in a tree(a difficult task solo) and always approach the kill area and your meat cache with caution and a loaded gun. Be ready for your feet to hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberKid View Post
    Planning a Solo Elk/Moose hunt this upcoming fall. One thing that has been bothering me is the potential pack out. I am just wondering if you guys have any tips and/or stories of packing out large game solo. What types of quality gear do I need to potentially upgrade on or bring, what is the best way to dress the animal, what should my time allocation be for the distance from the truck, etc and just any other tips you guys have!
    Thanks
    Things to consider before anything else:

Your mental state
    Your physical abilities

Leave the ego at the door and be truthful to yourself. Once you are set on those it is simply about safety and meat care:

Time of year: Hot temperatures and flies are your enemy, tarps and quality game bags will only do so much.
    Distance/terrain: How far back and what type of country will dictate how many trips it's going to take.
    Location: Doesn't really matter where you're hunting, be bear aware.
    Gear: It's been said again and again, buy the best you can afford. For packing heavy loads over distance your boots and pack need to be solid. Accessories like poles are great, but not essential.

Field Dressing: I personally go with the gutless method because it is cleaner and quicker for me. I like to make stock so I keep a lot of the bones which adds weight but also keeps the loads less floppy. It's going to take longer to dress the animal solo, so factor it in.

Hope that helps.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

More things to consider

Have you broken down animals for packing before?
    Think about the time of day. Personally if it was late afternoon and a bit of a trek back and I was solo I would pass on a moose size animal.
    Get a good pack and while I haven't used them poles would help.
    Be mentally prepared it is always more work than you think. One thing I've learned is on a difficult pack out(and none of them are easy) having just 1 more person can be a huge boost mentally as you can keep encouraging each other to git her done.
    Good flashlight and headlamp with spare batteries.
    Physical shape is important but in my experience the will to do it is #1. You will always do more than you think you can.

Is this hunt a backpack hunt? You can do a solo hunt off an atv or truck. If you are new to the game, stick closer to a road or trail that you can use to retrieve game. I figure a mature bull moose should be 8 to 10 trips. I have never personally done it in more than 6. If you are solo, the most important thing you can have is some kind of communication device. If you hurt yourself, you may not be able to get out on your own. My dad and uncle were packing out an elk one time and my uncle tripped and wedged himself in between two trees. He was stuck with a quarter on top of him. My dad helped him get out after he stopped laughing at him. Not funny if you are alone. I know that is a one off, but be prepared for things to go wrong. Get a good pack, and load it up before you go out.
    Another thing to consider is the weather. If it is mid september and 20 degrees out, you don't have a lot of time, but mid october with a little snow, you could take 2 days to get out an animal. Good luck

Read the regulations on evidence of sex and species...keep you loads to your ability or a bit heavy..watch videos of gutless and boneless dressing..go for it! God hates a coward!
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Just thinking of packing out a moose. Does anyone else feel like they are floating after you take a moose quarter off your back???

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Just thinking of packing out a moose. Does anyone else feel like they are floating after you take a moose quarter off your back???
    Not moose specific, but it's always a good feeling when you get the weight off.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Been there done that!
    -used Trapper Nelson pack. (100 lbs+ per trip)

-have a roll of orange/pink/red flagging. Flag the area of the kill site in a circle about 2 feet high. If disturbed when coming back get ready for a bear charge.

-listen & look for birds & other animals carefully

-carry non edible parts to another area

-mark a trail with flagging

-have your rifle ready-chambered and within easy reach while field dressing frequently looking behind your back.

-make plenty of vocal noise.

-carry a flashlight with spare batteries

-be prepared to spend the night away from camp.

-carry a SPOT & a Garmin GPS(or equivalent)

-small saw, a small hatchet, knives & a sharpener.

-extra rope + plastic bags
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
    Not moose specific, but it's always a good feeling when you get the weight off.
    Not moose specifically for me either, but yes, once the pack is off, you feel like you can leap to the clouds....all very good advice by many hunters more experienced than I, as Mpotzold made a lot of good points, to elaborate on some of those: rifle chambered safety on is very important along with being hyper aware as your dressing the downed animal - I also now set up my pack alarm around the site....poles I find very helpful, even for mini breaks as your packing out meat, for me I found that while using the poles I could hunch over for a mini break while holding the poles to give some of my tired muscles 'mini breaks'...