Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slope Is Getting More Slippery And Steeper

Hybrid View

Slope Is Getting More Slippery And Steeper

A Penticton Indian Band councillor fined for trespassing speaks to larger unresolved issues of land claims, according to a response from the band Chief Tuesday.
    The PIB responded to three of its members, including one sitting councillor, being fined $500 eachfor trespassing Tuesday morning in provincial court in Penticton.Fred, Cole and Felix Kruger each pleaded guilty to one count of trespassing in a plea deal which struck down charges related to alleged poaching.PIB Chief Chad Eneas said in the letter of response he and his council stand in support of the three members “who were acting in accordance with Syilx law and protocol and under direction of Band Elders.”The Krugers were spotted by a resident of the Greyback Mountain Road area with an animal carcass after gunshots were heard nearby on Jan. 29, 2017.The plea deal was made after the band unsuccessfully tried to reach an agreement with the province to “address concerns related to hunting on privately-held lands, but within Sn’pintktn Ancestral Lands.”Eneas said in the letter of response that the guilty pleas entered by the Krugers for the 2017 trespassing are not an admission “that the province or private individuals are the rightful owners of the property.”“These lands have always been subject to the title and rights of the Syilx Okanagan Nation.”

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Slope Is Getting More Slippery And Steeper

Weavers right to roam....
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post

A Penticton Indian Band councillor fined for trespassing speaks to larger unresolved issues of land claims, according to a response from the band Chief Tuesday.
    The PIB responded to three of its members, including one sitting councillor, being fined $500 eachfor trespassing Tuesday morning in provincial court in Penticton.Fred, Cole and Felix Kruger each pleaded guilty to one count of trespassing in a plea deal which struck down charges related to alleged poaching.PIB Chief Chad Eneas said in the letter of response he and his council stand in support of the three members “who were acting in accordance with Syilx law and protocol and under direction of Band Elders.”The Krugers were spotted by a resident of the Greyback Mountain Road area with an animal carcass after gunshots were heard nearby on Jan. 29, 2017.The plea deal was made after the band unsuccessfully tried to reach an agreement with the province to “address concerns related to hunting on privately-held lands, but within Sn’pintktn Ancestral Lands.”Eneas said in the letter of response that the guilty pleas entered by the Krugers for the 2017 trespassing are not an admission “that the province or private individuals are the rightful owners of the property.”“These lands have always been subject to the title and rights of the Syilx Okanagan Nation.”
    What a load of crap!
    So they can come on your property, in your backyard without your
    permission and just blast away at any wildlife they want to take.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    What a load of crap!
    So they can come on your property, in your backyard without your
    permission and just blast away at any wildlife they want to take.
    I'm not sure that's what it means. They were charged and convicted of trespassing. So they can't just come on to any land.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    I'm not sure that's what it means. They were charged and convicted of trespassing. So they can't just come on to any land.
    Read the article again.
    It was a plea deal.
    The band feels it was their right to kill wildlife on traditional land regardless if it is private.

The only reason they plead guilty to trespassing was to avoid prosecution on the other multiple more serious offences.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

I support First Nations rights but it is starting to be exploited.

My fear is that no private land will be off limits.
    My fear is that no resource will be off limits on private land.
    My fear is Gov will cave and support.
    My fear is this will extend to all land that was deemed crown.
    My fear is these declared rights will affect 97% of the population to access, enjoy the the hills of BC, to control access on to their privately owned land.

I hope goal posts are defined, as they currently are not.
    Last edited by Ourea; 01-29-2019 at 08:42 PM.

My fear is these declared rights will affect 97% of the population to access, enjoy, control access to their privately owned land.

In my opinion, your fears are correct, well founded and easily defensible.

My biggest fear is that all of the above will continue, and there is absolutely nothing that will be, or can be done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    In my opinion, your fears are correct, well founded and easily defensible.

My biggest fear is that all of the above will continue, and there is absolutely nothing that will be, or can be done about it.
    That is the way I see it too!
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

My fear is that after the above gets passed they will be able to camp on your lawn or maybe even move into your house and demand you feed them.

My fear is these declared rights will affect 97% of the population to access, enjoy the the hills of BC, to control access on to their privately owned land.

Our fears are mutual....my worst fear is the lack of government common sense....I love when FN's wear cowboy hats..