Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permit to Accompany - one step closer to a mountain hunt dream

Permit to Accompany - one step closer to a mountain hunt dream

Hello all. I've keenly followed the Hunting BC forum for several years despite being an Ontario "flatlander". A western mountain hunt has been a dream since I was a little kid running around with an elastic gun pretending my younger sisters were various big game species.

Several years ago here in Eastern Ontario I taught a young chap the ropes wild turkey hunting and took him out to harvest his first bird. We also bowhunted deer together on property I had permission on. Fast forward to today and said young chap has now been living in BC for the past 4 years. He's living in the Smithers area and hunting avidly.

We're looking to put into place a "Permit to Accompany" hunt. This week I got a FWID and began the process of uploading my hunting certifications, proof of residency, etc.

I called the BC government service and while helpful, the person who answered the phone didn't have a really thorough knowledge of some of the finer details.

Here's my criteria:

Hunt must take place in August as I must be back in Ontario for the Tuesday after Labour Day. I'm a high school teacher so this is not negotiable.

Hunt would take place somewhere in Region Six or Seven

Physicality/remoteness of the hunt is not a factor. I'm very fit and have spent a tonne of time in the Coast/Rocky Mountains backpacking, climbing, skiing, paddling, etc. over the past 20 years.

As I read the regulations sheep, mountain goat, caribou, moose, and elk are all open (for varying amounts of time) during August. My understanding from looking at the BC regulations is that "Permit to Accompany" hunts are typically granted for areas with plentiful tags, etc. and some species (sheep) are off limits. I wouldn't want to inadvertently apply for very competitive regions and fail to get anything. If looking to hunt Regions 6/7 in my position, which species gives me the best chance of drawing a tag?

The BC government service chap said he would have BC Fish and Game contact me about my questions, but also looking to tap the collective wisdom here too. Any and all feedback appreciated, either in this thread or by personal message.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Permit to Accompany - one step closer to a mountain hunt dream

This is my smart ass reply. Forget the application all together move to bc and you can hunt here every fall for what ever animal you want. We all know that if you fo the trip you are planning you will never want to leave and you will end up selling everything and make the move anyway so save yourself the trouble.

PTA for upper region 6 is usually an easy draw to get. Never had a problem with goat caribou or moose permits.

Given your buddy lives in Smithers and there is excellent goat hunting nearby you'll likely hunt in Region 6. You can only hunt GOS areas so no use looking at LEH zones. I'd suggest the last week of August as the hides will be better than early August. Plus the first week or two of August is usually the warmest part of the year and the goats can be somewhat elusive. Is your buddy dialed into goat hunting in the area? I've gone through three Permit to Accompany for goats and I don't recall any competitive concerns . . . perhaps being denied happens on the odd occasion. I'd expect you could obtain a goat tag in most GOS areas in Region 6. You could really treat yourself and do a fly-in for goat and caribou with your buddy having a sheep tag.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

The host has to apply for the permit to accompany. At least that was how it worked in 2016 and 2017. Good
    luck and enjoy your BC hunt. The online forms are self-explanatory and will be simple for him to fill out.

As stated above,I don’t think you being from Ontario can apply for leh. Your tags won’t be cheap. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sizedoes matter View Post
    As stated above,I don’t think you being from Ontario can apply for leh. Your tags won’t be cheap. LOL
    In the grand scheme of things, they'll be dirt cheap IMO.

I personally like BCBillies suggestion for the OP!

There is a list somewhere that shows what you can apply for in each management unit. Get a wolf and a bear tag for sure. wolf is $50 bear is $180. License will cost $75. I'm pretty sure that accompany to hunt permits can't be used for sheep, so that is out (worth double checking) so that leaves Caribou, moose and Goats as your main species with the time constraints. Moose in region 6 will be a last week in august kind of thing, but they can be hard to find. You have great moose in Ontario anyway so probably not high on the list. Goats and Caribou. Hopefully your friend has a few good spots. Just make sure you check to make sure the zones you pick are open to non residents. Let us know how the hunt goes.

Thanks everyone. My friend is double checking with his boss that he can take time off in mid August and after that we'll be down to real planning.

We've earmarked several zones in Region Six and after (hopefully) the permit goes through I'll have more questions.

I've been in contact with BC biologists and conservation officers and they have been quite helpful as well.

Rifle question - I have the following options at the moment - 243 X-Bolt, 7mm-08 BLR, 308 BLR. I know that both the 7mm-08 or 308 are suitable cartridges, but wondering if I would be better off investing in another bolt action in a mountain cartridge?

I know there’ll be someone who says it’s all about shot placement,which is 100% correct. But I personally would want a rifle with a little more punch. Type of game is a factor. Distance you feel comfortable shooting is also a factor. No one perfect cartridge.