Thread: I want meat scraps, trim, offal, bones...

I want meat scraps, trim, offal, bones...

Or rather, my dog does.

Hi hunters! If anyone in or around the lower mainland area is looking to clean out their freezer of old or freezer burnt meat or would like to get rid of pieces of game that you don't need or want after processing, I am very interested! My dog is on a very limited raw diet, all proteins need to be lean so I've been advised by his vet to try wild game if I can get my hands on it which is proving to be very challenging as I don't know any hunters or how to hunt (yet). I'll take almost anything unseasoned, including any cut of meat, trim, offal, bones, ears, antlers, hooves, almost everything except the fat.

Thanks ahead of time!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7539808782_f6ef25ff72_z.jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	7282  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I want meat scraps, trim, offal, bones...

I met a fellow who went to an auction and bought a $100 horse. Fed his dog lean meat for 1.5 years. Just saying.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    I met a fellow who went to an auction and bought a $100 horse. Fed his dog lean meat for 1.5 years. Just saying.
    Interesting. If worse comes to worse, I suppose that could be an option.

There are commercially available "Raw" foods that might work with your dog, have you considered any of those? Used to be able to buy venison and bison at some Pet Stores but haven't seen much lately and if available it's $$$$$.
    If you don't mind saying, what is the reason for the "limited raw diet", allergies, renal problems ??
    Cute Toller BTW, ( gotta love eraser noses ) we have had Tollers for 16 years now, our first one left us about 4 months ago. Due to losing one kidney to cancer and the other having limited renal function due to age we had to be very careful with her diet, in particular keeping her protein intake low. We worked closely with the Oncologist and the Internist to develop meals that were for the most part "Raw" with controlled proteins.
    I'll check the cabin freezer next time up there to see if there are any deer remnants but I think it's all been used.

Try Beltrame meats in Langley or Surrey meats in Cloverdale. They both have raw food for pets. I trust many a hunter with dogs either feed their scraps to their own dogs or have a network of friends that take the left overs. I know I do!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Iron glove, thank you, anything is very much appreciated! Sorry to hear about your toller - they are truly special dogs.
    There are commercially available "Raw" foods that might work with your dog, have you considered any of those?
    Unfortunately I'm pretty restricted to making his meals on my own as the majority of commercial pet food companies tend to use proteins that he isn't able to eat or they mix in vegetables or have incorrect meat/bone/offal ratios. I'm currently buying from B&T Raw in Chilliwack as they have a couple good options (kangaroo and elk) that work for now, but as you mention, it is very pricey to feed albeit WELL priced considering what I am buying.

My dog is on low fat due to chronic pancreatitis and is even more restricted due to an intolerance to many common proteins like beef, chicken and turkey. The special vet kibble made him quite ill, home cooked wasn't much better, so the current solution is raw food without vegetables (veggies being too taxing on the dog's pancreas). So far so good, but he is supposed to have more variety in order to make the diet balanced.

Steeleco, thank you for the recommendations, I will look into whether they carry anything he can eat! I figured there wouldn't be many folks just up and giving their things away to a random stranger, but it doesn't hurt to ask, just in case! He is a hunting breed, so somewhere down the line it would be nice to learn to hunt and be able to feed him that way, but for now he is surviving on his kangaroo.

Thanks for the info, beef, turkey and chicken are the most common "Raw" proteins which doesn't leave you with many viable and reasonably priced options.
    How about fish ?? Assume that game birds like grouse are too much like chicken to be OK ??
    Pancreatitis can be a real bugger, fortunately we've only had one attack with one dog and that was probably caused by her eating something on a hike that she shouldn't have gotten into. Your comment about the vet kibble reminded me of our Gal after her cancer surgery - the Vet wanted her on a special renal kibble but she looked at it in her bowl, turned up her nose and walked away.
    Have you posted up on and Toller Group Sites, many have Facebook sites.

sent you a message.

Time to become a hunter. Get your firearms and hunting licence, you have all spring and summer to practice your shooting. Come opening day for deer you can head out and get your dog a nice deer. Lots of information on this site and people who are willing to help. Good luck with your search.
    R.I.P BiG Boar