Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So which organization to join?

Re: So which organization to join?

^^ isn't the unification simply the fact that all hunting organizations support each other? If you amalgamate to have a single unified voice, are you not just, one voice in a sea of many voices? The majority then being of the non hunting perspective? I don't see the strategy of the non hunter / environmental activist amalgamating into one voice. They have a lot of contribution to their cause through a diversified and multiplying set of organizations.

I'm not sure it will ever come down to a simple, us versus them one on one discussion. It isn't a negotiation. That simply isn't the strategy that the non hunter has found works to achieve their agenda.

I agree, I don't really care what your weapon of choice, game of choice, method of pursuit is. We can all respect each other and stand together. In the EK, we have guides, houndsman, trappers, bowhunters, rifle hunters and trophy hunters all standing together as the KWC. And it gets attention in the media.

I agree that all hunting organisations have to stand together & support each other.

Much of the anti hunting sentiment comes from lack of education in non hunters and the fact that in some areas hunting & guns are portrayed in a negative light and seen as something to be avoided. I believe that many of the so called antis could be turned if they were educated as not everyone is vegan even in the lower mainland.

As you say KWC gets attention, what if that attention could be turned to province wide that really would be some media attention.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
    I see new anti groups springing up all the time If people do not get together & unify we will be picked off group by group until there is nothing left and all we have left as hunters is a few photos & memories.
    You said it yourself....you see new anti groups springing up all the time. Yet you think that us having a single unified voice in one group is the answer to combat that?? If that was the most powerful way of doing things, the antis wouldnt be springing up new groups each year.

Reality is, the antis aren't who we need to be focused on. The antis sure aren't focussing their energy on us specifically, they are beating us because they are focusing their efforts in the right places.

Its human nature that people will want to belong to different groups, multiple groups, specific species or type of recreation or conservation groups. We are all attracted to various tribes for various reasons.

What we need to realize is that a membership in ANY group is near meaningless without people realizing that individuals are the ones who drive change and move the needle. Individuals who get involved with these groups/tribes and look for ways to further the goals and spread their growth and messaging are likely far more important. Developing strategy to actually target the right people and not be reactive in nature.

No group is perfect right now. None likely will be, ever. Is BC missing something right now? Tough to say. I'd say all that's missing is something to empower individual hunters, anglers, gun owners and conservation enthusiasts to get involved. No matter the group, that's likely a monumental challenge in my experience...

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    So I have been a member at one time or another of WSSBC, RMEF, BCWF. Was not real happy with any of them.

I’ve been wanting to join something again, start paying back for what I take. BHA is on the list, so is Goat Alliance and one or two of the previously mentioned organizations.

As a resident hunter and conservationist, what is everyone feeling gives us the best representation and why?
    Many of us are in same boat. Personally I feel BCWF has dropped the ball completely. I still support local club and joined WSSBC for 3 years and watching their hunter heritage program closely. Not familiar with backcountry hunters and anglers, website isn’t very good and I wonder how much money funnels south of our border.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
    I agree that all hunting organisations have to stand together & support each other.

Much of the anti hunting sentiment comes from lack of education in non hunters and the fact that in some areas hunting & guns are portrayed in a negative light and seen as something to be avoided. I believe that many of the so called antis could be turned if they were educated as not everyone is vegan even in the lower mainland.

As you say KWC gets attention, what if that attention could be turned to province wide that really would be some media attention.
    I think on a Provincial level, it is happening right now. The process is being led by Government. The BCWF is coordinating all hunting, trapping, guiding interests into a workshop this coming week. I suspect that will gain some exposure.

Regarding the model of the KWC, and other regions. I have had discussions with a few groups/people from the Island, from Region 2 and Region 6. These things don't start from the internet. They start because hunters and hunting groups realize it is imminently important to work together to get a message to the public and to Government. There is strength in numbers. When you have all segments of the hunting, trapping, guiding community coming together in a region, in a round table approach, no leaders, all respectful and equal and standing together making the same statements to Government. That's power. That's influence.

All hunters require are people in each region to realize it and do something about it. Put the infighting aside, realize there is much at stake, we need more wildlife. We need a better landscape management approach. And come together. Enough bickering. Sit down for an extended conversation with your MLA and talk. Share concerns. Hold Government accountable. Not in a petitioning protesting sort of way. But in a constructive meaningful dialogue. Be prepared.

Ask yourself, how many times an online petition, or a protest, really worked. If you raised your children through a model of protest and petitioning (demands, seeking compliance), what are the results. Pretty poor. But when we have a 'family meeting' and talk and respect and give equal time, we might not always agree, but as family, we can live together in peace. Enough with the meaningless approach. You want results, come into the room palms up, ready to listen. Not fist thumping the table with demands.

I'm not targeting you Briar, sorry for the hijack. You asked a good question. I know my responses can go on and on. I apologize.

Another great post JT

Reading this article by an anti-hunting / conservation rag, I think it is time to support the RMEF again. Seems they are actually doing what their hunter base wants them to do, unlike other orgs that have rejected their hunter base to become nothing but so-called conservation orgs.

https://www.hcn.org/wotr/a-once-prou...s-lost-its-way

Very well said sir. Some of our orgs have been neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Reading this article by an anti-hunting / conservation rag, I think it is time to support the RMEF again. Seems they are actually doing what their hunter base wants them to do, unlike other orgs that have rejected their hunter base to become nothing but so-called conservation orgs.

https://www.hcn.org/wotr/a-once-prou...s-lost-its-way
    You know. I was actually going to mention that.
    Although, i have no idea what is going on in this province with them.
    I know, i am an avid elk hunter, i should know this stuff, but being in the LM really takes away from getting involved.
    If i were in the EK, i definitely would be into some club by now for sure (if they actually wanted me??)
    Agree with JT.
    There are some many "niche" groups to hunting.
    Some like sheep hunting, others goat or elk or MD.
    Some use bow only.
    So, it makes sense to have these different groups.
    The issue seems to be getting all united for the bigger picture.
    If this forum can be a measurement of this, we often see discussion happening, and then suddenly a battle breaks out
    over bow against rifle, or GO against resident.
    Even the hells angels have different chapters all over.
    But, sometimes there's a meeting with all of them together, and some ground rules are put into play, that they all have to abide by and work with.
    I think that's were some sort of organization is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    As a resident hunter and conservationist, what is everyone feeling gives us the best representation and why?
    It is interesting to me that people mention hunting and conservation but noone mentions education.

As others have mentioned there is no real dedicated hunting group (in my opinion), and all of the organizations are involved in conservation to a greater or lesser degree.

If I had to choose only one I would choose the BCWF for two reasons:
    1) They actually do education: Wild Kidz, Becoming an Outdoorswoman (BOW), Fishing Forever, etc. etc.
    2) They partner with many of the other organizations you mention.

Here is more information on the education offerings of the BCWF:
    www.bcwf.net/index.php/programs