Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So which organization to join?

Re: So which organization to join?

Receiving a pm the other night, as well as thinking about some of what JT said has shed some light onto what direction I think we really need to take.
    Yes, I can be long winded, long posts, but I think this will be worth the read and what people think of it?

For so many years, I think we as hunters have been "brainwashed".
    Not because we are stupid, but because we have no other choice but to make the best of the situation under the guidelines that
    our governments have left us with.
    I hate restrictions because I have seen them be introduced, and then more of them stacked upon old ones, and yet, I have seen
    no real benefit to many of them.
    Reason being, they just aren't addressing the actual issues that are causing the problem.
    Because of the way things have been, I see some try to find "new methods of restriction" to try and help the problems.
    Basically just doing more of the same.
    But the pm made me understand why.(the real truth, and a fair statement)
    Hunters like my dad have had "their days" out there, hunting at a time where their bodies could do whatever they wanted.
    But, he is way beyond those days, just enjoys the "getting out" now, but doesn't really give the situations that we are facing
    much thought. (you lose friends, lose your spouse, things like hunting are no longer important).
    He already knows hunting will be gone one day (I think the same sadly).
    But, I find myself like the pm, I am in my 50's now, body cant do what it could do before, and we are finding that we only have so many years left, before hunting becomes a "road hunt affair" for the most part.
    We are still waiting to experience something close to the "good old day" type of experience.
    There is some anxiety that comes with that.
    With that comes "desperation", looking for something that will work within a few years, that atleast for a short time, creates
    a better hunting success experience.
    If that means "shutting hunting down" for a couple of years, depending on what, some seem to be almost willing to do so,
    just to have "a taste of yesterday".
    But that's flawed, and our issues require some decent fixes, and then time to "build back up".
    If the right fixes were introduced today, one way would be to shut it down, and things rebound quicker.
    OR, we fix it, keeping hunting, and it will take longer, but I think we would get there.
    JT mentioned something that was truthful as well.
    These petitions/polls are nice, but probably ineffective (who's really listening?)
    Someone has taken the time to set them up, so I take the time to fill it out, just because I agree and out of respect.
    Those links to give your opinion by the ministry are "definitely a must", imo.
    Although, I think the government already has a mandate, and knows what they are going to do regardless, but that they
    "just have to do it", to look fair.
    I think R&G clubs do some great things, hands on work, whether it's rebuilding some habitat, or helping in collaring programs,
    they should carry on!
    IT's the "coming up with changes" (like regulation changes), where I think maybe they have gone to far.
    You look at the US, and many of those States are showing some great success.
    They have the money (we know that), and they are using their Bios to "figure it out", and it's working.
    These are small States, with way more hunters, and yet they experience a better hunt, even after the fact that much more of the land is private.
    I have seen studies were they have "cried wolf" (quite literally!), only to find out that was not the case (ended up being cougar).
    I know we have wolf issues, but not all these problems thru the province is all just that, and we know that.
    We have some good Bios, and we should be giving them the support to get it done.
    I would like to se that all the these Bios, are grass root hunters inside, although I don't know how we can ensure that.
    Hunting and conservation, are hand in hand, and there is a "selfish" element to it.
    We want lots of game, with a high percentage of success.
    We want to grow game to hunt game (but we also enjoy them in other ways).
    But there is nothing flawed with that, as it ensures that game is sustainable for everyone to enjoy.
    It works, and Duck's Unlimited, Freshwater Society proves that, unequivocally!
    But the Bios have their hands tied, and that the first thing we need to untie!
    I think JT has hit the "root of the problem".
    It's not a new concept, but I suggest a much more "aggressive" approach.
    This whole fiasco has started with the Government, and continues to exist with the Government.
    I suggest all the major Organizations, as well as all the small clubs of every facet in regards to hunting give this some thought,
    and we, put into action.
    Not all of us are scholars, not all of us "feel we have the time".
    But many of us come to this site, often, or once a day etc., which means we have the time to hit "send" from our email account.
    If we could some really great templates, of all the "real issues", put down onto a word document, and where approval has been given to use the documents as ones own, I think we can cause some hell.
    Pass along several well thought out (take time to discus it) letters, were the end user can add his/her name to.
    Pass along links for mla's (we have to figure out ourselves who your mla is), as well as George Heyman, minister of environment, and Horgan.
    Okay, so far nothing new really, BUT:
    We all fire off these emails, EVERY DAY!, day after day.
    We clog up their email account with thousands upon thousands of emails, DAILY!!
    They can hit delete, but new ones are coming!
    Rather then one email, with a bunch of signatures, we send individual emails = thousands, not 1!
    We all have sent off the odd one, sometimes not hearing anything.
    Or, sometimes a reply say "thank you for your thoughts, and be assured we are talking about it".
    And that's it.
    But this time we reply:
    "thank you for your reply, but I am not happy with a bunch of talk, and expect some action/results.
    Being the fact that I am actually you employer, thru my taxes paying your cheque, you work for me.
    My boss expects me to complete tasks, not just discuss them, and if at the end of the day, ne results are shown , I will not have a job very long.
    So since my issues are only being discussed, AND NOT ADDRESSED, please continue to expect more emails on my initial concerns to come until talk becomes action"
    And then, the next morning fire off emails again.
    Lets just clog them up, lets show them we are tired of the same bs, that further restrictions without addressing the real issues will no longer be accepted".
    Also, lets not just send it to the NDP, but those same politicians in the Liberal party that most likely would hold those positions
    if they were to be elected.

Lets consider taking this to a whole new level.
    Lets untie the Bios hands (the ones we know are here for us), get them the funding flowing, boots on the ground and some
    action in the right direction, not just another 5 pages added to the hunting regs!
    This problems lays at the foot of bureaucracy first, and that's the first key to getting those fixed.
    We need to put the pressure on like it has never been seen before here in the province.
    We have the speed of the internet to actually use it's full potential, all with a couple of clicks of the button DAILY!,
    til it starts to happen, and we don't take the foot off the pedal til we reach our destination!
    Lets lead foot-it and get'r done!

Thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    WSSBC has kept on track and them recently stepping up with their program to educate the public I have to give them the most credit. Down side sheep is their priority

SCI has promise but they need a few strong active members to help them grow and become more organized

BCWF I am not really impressed with but they do have the odd good project. Their efforts are mainly southern BC

BHA I recommend doing as much research as you can before you give them a dime. At this time they fall under no way in hell in my opinion.

Truth of the matter is WSSBC is about the best BC has at this moment in my opinion so don’t expect better from the others. BC needs a new hunting org to represent hunters in BC big time
    you have spoken exactly the truth. WSSBC is on track. They are launching the hunter heritage program soon as well. Hunters do your homework and Choose one or more organizations to join as they all have pros and cons. I have chosen this year to spread my efforts as all of BC needs our help and support, will likely be a member of 4 organizations before long. Really is not expensive (tank of gas in my pickup). It is a crisis....the very worst thing we can do right now is nothing at all!!

My thoughts as well RobU

First, let me apologize for this is not my best writing.

I agree with both Bugle M In and RobU. I truly believe that this could be it, make or break for hunting. But my concern goes beyond what groups to join to focus on what can I do with/for that group. I have been a member of a variety of groups ranging from R & G clubs, Hiking Clubs, to my current position at a salmon hatchery. Through all of these I have been a member of the BCWF since I was a youngster but never got involved beyond my local club because that is where my passion lied. I wanted to a nice facility to shoot at so kept it clean and maintained, I wanted to hike new areas so helped maintain the trails, I want my nieces and nephews to fish the waters I did as a kid so I work hard to keep the salmon in them. The other advantage is it keeps me busy. There is always something to do at these smaller clubs, and as often as not they are more than willing to accept the help. This attitude has been very selfish of me, I know! But it has also been very rewarding. I have seen the positive changes that these small organizations can make. But there in lies the rub.

In my experience, hunters and anglers are people of action. With an organization such as the BCWF, WSSBC, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, SCI, BHA or what have you; how does one get more involved than a monthly pub night or meeting. Going to be honest, the main reason I have become so heavily involved in the organizations I have been is because if I suddenly get a Tuesday off it is not wasted; I can go do something productive. What can the average member do to help any of the listed organizations at a given moment? Are we destined to just pay our dues and hope? True, there are trade shows and other events that must be manned but they are few and far between. The WSSBC leads the way in this with the sheep counts and burns but I honestly have no clue how to actively help any of the other organizations beyond sending them an annual deposit.

I know some will say attend the meetings, get on the executive and you will find out but honestly, I would not trust the future or reputation of my organization to someone I see for one hour once a month and would not expect them to do so. I have been on the boards of most clubs I have joined but that is because I showed up, put my time in and tried to understand what they were and who they wanted to be. That is impossible to accomplish over 12 to 16 hours a year. Nor is possible to have every member on the executive. But the heart of an organization is its people. But I firmly believe that they need to feel involved!

I am rambling so I will keep reduce this to 1 simple questions.

What can the 100,000 hunters in this province do on any given day (not an once a month meet up or weekend year but any spare moment they have) to help these organizations succeed?
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

I did some digging and talked to a couple members on here as well. Going to pony up for WSSBC membership as apparently they have turned a couple things around. Also RMGA for now. Still haven’t discounted BHA as well but not this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    First, let me apologize for this is not my best writing.

I agree with both Bugle M In and RobU. I truly believe that this could be it, make or break for hunting. But my concern goes beyond what groups to join to focus on what can I do with/for that group. I have been a member of a variety of groups ranging from R & G clubs, Hiking Clubs, to my current position at a salmon hatchery. Through all of these I have been a member of the BCWF since I was a youngster but never got involved beyond my local club because that is where my passion lied. I wanted to a nice facility to shoot at so kept it clean and maintained, I wanted to hike new areas so helped maintain the trails, I want my nieces and nephews to fish the waters I did as a kid so I work hard to keep the salmon in them. The other advantage is it keeps me busy. There is always something to do at these smaller clubs, and as often as not they are more than willing to accept the help. This attitude has been very selfish of me, I know! But it has also been very rewarding. I have seen the positive changes that these small organizations can make. But there in lies the rub.

In my experience, hunters and anglers are people of action. With an organization such as the BCWF, WSSBC, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, SCI, BHA or what have you; how does one get more involved than a monthly pub night or meeting. Going to be honest, the main reason I have become so heavily involved in the organizations I have been is because if I suddenly get a Tuesday off it is not wasted; I can go do something productive. What can the average member do to help any of the listed organizations at a given moment? Are we destined to just pay our dues and hope? True, there are trade shows and other events that must be manned but they are few and far between. The WSSBC leads the way in this with the sheep counts and burns but I honestly have no clue how to actively help any of the other organizations beyond sending them an annual deposit.

I know some will say attend the meetings, get on the executive and you will find out but honestly, I would not trust the future or reputation of my organization to someone I see for one hour once a month and would not expect them to do so. I have been on the boards of most clubs I have joined but that is because I showed up, put my time in and tried to understand what they were and who they wanted to be. That is impossible to accomplish over 12 to 16 hours a year. Nor is possible to have every member on the executive. But the heart of an organization is its people. But I firmly believe that they need to feel involved!

I am rambling so I will keep reduce this to 1 simple questions.

What can the 100,000 hunters in this province do on any given day (not an once a month meet up or weekend year but any spare moment they have) to help these organizations succeed?
    we are doing the right thing. We’re different people with different jobs in different towns. We’re identifying problems and looking to the solutions. 100,000 hunters? Hmmmm....I know way too many hunters who do nothing, belong to nothing and participate rarely or not at all. We can all start by getting everyone involved at some level. Memberships at the very least. Check out WSSBC website they point out estimated costs of their projects and funds raised to date! Brilliant that is. Is shows a problem and a solution yet many ignore that and continue to complain.
    We hold the keys to our own future and we’re letting it slip out of our hands! If we all got 10 -30 hunters, friends family involved at some level it would possibly start turning the tide. Yes and they in turn can see the benefits of helping great ideas and projects plus realize the way we vote has a tremendous impact on the future of hunting in this province.