Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So which organization to join?

Re: So which organization to join?

I would say the WSS has been of late, the most pro-active, like the hunting heritage fund, so if you have
    some spare change, I would throw some support their way, and at that, maybe buy a ticket for the 2nd round in that hunting heritage fund program. (you could always have a chance at winning while supporting a really good cause if it comes to fruition down the road).
    WSS seems the most organized, but their main goal is sheep, not hunters, but they are realizing they need
    hunters if they want to survive (they all do!)
    BCWF has a really good insurance program established, which is always beneficial, and is why many join them.
    I do hope they get their act together better soon, as they are one of the oldest organizations in bc, but again, their mandate is not really about hunters, but wildlife. (just as important)
    But, as many stated, we really do lack a true BC hunters association, which is shocking and now necessary more than ever.
    You could also send some cash thru ProGuide 66 and the Go Fund me for trappers to have the cash to go out there and get rid of some Preds, which seems to be working from what I am hearing.
    (check out his FB account).
    Other then that, check your local R&G Club I suppose, and see what they are about.
    Other than that, there is dick all I would support, imo.

Good Read Bugle and Exactly as i see it too ! RJ

First choice for me would be your local rod and gun clubs. Go to a meeting or two and see if they align with your vision and if they are getting things done. If not, think about joining and forcing a different direction. Some of you do not have time, so this is not always an option. Lots of gun clubs, our included, are part of the BCWF so you also get the insurance perks.

WSSBC are doing some great things, our club in FSJ has developed a strong relationship with them and have been great to work with. We attend meetings together with a common voice.

I can't speak to the rest - call up some of the directors and have a frank talk. After a couple of those you should have a better idea.

As far as predators go - might be worth having a talk with WSSBC directors up north or myself. We have some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    WSSBC has kept on track and them recently stepping up with their program to educate the public I have to give them the most credit. Down side sheep is their priority
    True, but a lot of the thinning and prescribed burning project are designed to improve habitat for not only sheep, but deer/elk/moose as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kbellamy View Post
    As far as predators go - might be worth having a talk with WSSBC directors up north or myself. We have some ideas.
    There are some ideas being thrown around down south as well. There is no question that predator control is critical.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

I would be wary of BHA they ignored my direct questions regarding firearm rights & the Pew Foundation. The PEW foundations is anti hunting/fishing & I believe BHA may have some connection with them since they will not deny it.

Many people on here disagree with the various organisations none of which actually represent ALL hunters & fishermen maybe we should start our own there are certainly enough members on here.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
    I would be wary of BHA they ignored my direct questions regarding firearm rights & the Pew Foundation. The PEW foundations is anti hunting/fishing & I believe BHA may have some connection with them since they will not deny it.

Many people on here disagree with the various organisations none of which actually represent ALL hunters & fishermen maybe we should start our own there are certainly enough members on here.
    Help me understand what 'represent all hunters and fishermen' means.

I mean another organization speaking on behalf of wildlife, and conservation is great. What is it that 'hunters and fishermen' specifically need?

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Help me understand what 'represent all hunters and fishermen' means.

I mean another organization speaking on behalf of wildlife, and conservation is great. What is it that 'hunters and fishermen' specifically need?
    X2 this is what I don't get. Any organization representing hunters that doesn't have a conservation side will pack no clout. It is impossible to have all hunters under one umbrella. Sooner or later the organization will agree with or lobby for something that some members see as affecting the way they hunt and they'll walk and be calling for somebody to represent them.

I would like to see a unified group.

I don't care if you hunt ducks, deer, bear, upland game or rabbits, I don't care what type of fishing you take part in, whether you are a guide outfitters, trappers, First Nations or just someone with an interest in the outdoors who is not anti hunting. Even people who only shoot targets, 3D archers, fishing stores, hunting stores gun clubs, people who sell boats, atv's or camping gear, even campsites & hotels whose business is mainly hunters & fisherman. As a group we are huge & united we could be very powerful & influence political decisions.

How many times have you seen it on here about all manner of subjects, last week I started a thread about gun dogs & got some really good feedback but the divisions were obvious and people seemed to be getting really fired up about which dog breed was actually the number 1 when the truth of the matter is there are many good breeds out there and some are better at certain things than others. The passion that each had for their breed was awesome but the matter of which is truly the best is subjective and depends on the situation.

Many years ago I had the privilege to work my dog under a hawk and I am sure there are people on here who would claim this is not hunting, just like there are archers who would argue that using a gun to take an elk is not good sportsmanship or fly fishermen who believe that you should only take trout on the fly, what I am saying is that we should not judge each others methods and simply understand that there are many ways to hunt & fish each has its own set of challenges & as long as they are legal that is all that matters, we are still hunters or fishermen.

I see new anti groups springing up all the time If people do not get together & unify we will be picked off group by group until there is nothing left and all we have left as hunters is a few photos & memories.

I agree the group has to be have sound conservation as their backbone and their may be times that a certain area needs to be closed or limited for a time and this will affect some people but I think the true sportsman with discussion & input would respect this.

I have been in business for 35 years and have found that a negotiated agreement between 2 parties is easier to police & enforce than a forced settlement where there is no benefit to 1 side.

Maybe others on here could speak up and say what they would like to see from an organisation and what they think needs to be done and see how much common ground there actually is.